Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3-pt seat belt clip?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 11:14 PM
mxk
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Default 3-pt seat belt clip?

What do you call, and where can you get, the h-shaped clips that make the factory seatbelt not slip loose across your lap? I'm not yet ready to spring for a full harness, but want better holding power.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:35 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

A CG-Lock is better than the h-clips and very affordable. It will actually lock the lap belt to the shoulder belt and give great holding power. I have used them for years in my own cars as well as student cars.

I bought mine off Amazon, but their website is cg-lock.com

-Kevin

Last edited by brkntrxn; 05-06-2016 at 08:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mxk (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 01:39 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
A CG-Lock is better than the h-clips and very affordable. It will actually lock the lap belt to the shoulder belt and give great holding power. I have used them for years in my own cars as well as student cars.

I bought mine off Amazon, but their website is cg-lock.com

-Kevin
The CG Lock is only for the lap belt, yes? I'd like something that locks the shoulder in as well. Bringing my new A4 to Limerock next week to instruct instead of the Vette and this would be helpful.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:57 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

The Corvette has a standard cinch feature. You don't need to buy anything. To use it effectively run the seat all the way to the rear using the exit button. Then pull the seat belt out all the way until it stopped. This puts it into cinch mode and as you let it go back into the take up reel you will hear it ratcheting. Latch the belt and pull the lap belt tight with one hand while using the other to feed the added slack in the shoulder belt back into the take up reel. When you have the lap belt and shoulder belt as tight as you can get them then move the seat forward to your seating position and save that position into seat memory. I usually tell people to run the seat forward until it feels like the lap belt is going to cut them in two and the shoulder belt is restricting their breathing. Then it is just about tight enough. With the improved seats in the C7 this will hold you in place through some pretty high G level maneuvers. If I have a passenger I usually stand outside the car and once the belt is in cinch mode grab the shoulder belt and use my body weight to pull it and the lap belt tight and then have them move the seat forward. By the way this has been a feature on Corvettes since the 1984 model was introduced. It didn't work as well on the C5 and C6 because the seat didn't have anything to hold you in place. The seat is supposed to hold you in the car and the belt is supposed to hold you in the seat.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 05-06-2016 at 01:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mxk (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 02:23 PM
mxk
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The Corvette has a standard cinch feature. You don't need to buy anything. To use it effectively run the seat all the way to the rear using the exit button. Then pull the seat belt out all the way until it stopped. This puts it into cinch mode and as you let it go back into the take up reel you will hear it ratcheting. Latch the belt and pull the lap belt tight with one hand while using the other to feed the added slack in the shoulder belt back into the take up reel. When you have the lap belt and shoulder belt as tight as you can get them then move the seat forward to your seating position and save that position into seat memory. I usually tell people to run the seat forward until it feels like the lap belt is going to cut them in two and the shoulder belt is restricting their breathing. Then it is just about tight enough. With the improved seats in the C7 this will hold you in place through some pretty high G level maneuvers. If I have a passenger I usually stand outside the car and once the belt is in cinch mode grab the shoulder belt and use my body weight to pull it and the lap belt tight and then have them move the seat forward. By the way this has been a feature on Corvettes since the 1984 model was introduced. It didn't work as well on the C5 and C6 because the seat didn't have anything to hold you in place. The seat is supposed to hold you in the car and the belt is supposed to hold you in the seat.

Bill
Wow. I learn something new about our cars ever day from this forum. I wasn't aware of this. It's possibly because my C6 seat used to rock back and forth, so the belt wouldn't stay cinched. I'll try this tonight!!
Old 05-06-2016, 03:25 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
The CG Lock is only for the lap belt, yes? I'd like something that locks the shoulder in as well. Bringing my new A4 to Limerock next week to instruct instead of the Vette and this would be helpful.
It locks the two together.

Last edited by brkntrxn; 05-06-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:05 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by mxk
Wow. I learn something new about our cars ever day from this forum. I wasn't aware of this. It's possibly because my C6 seat used to rock back and forth, so the belt wouldn't stay cinched. I'll try this tonight!!
If you had it in Cinch Mode the rocking probably would have caused it to tighten over time as the seat moved back and forth. The only way to drop it out of cinch mode is to let the belt retract all the way. My wife has problems like that in every car she rides in. She tends to pull the belts out all the way and activate the child safety lock (cinch mode in the Vette) and then as we ride along she complains because the belt keeps getting tighter. Every once in a while I will tell her not to pull the belt all the way out but she says she will do as she wants.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To 3-pt seat belt clip?

Quick Reply: 3-pt seat belt clip?