Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best tip I ever got from an HPDE instructor

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 09:26 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This comes from motorcycle trackdays where you are more at risk physically, but the idea is the same for your car.

3 Rules for your trackday:

1. Don't crash
2. Have fun
3. Work on your skills

If you blow rule #1, you won't get to #2 or #3.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:41 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Sometimes words cannot fully convey an experience. I recall the time I gave a beginner a ride in my car and he was immediately impressed with how hard a car can brake, even though he had a ZR1. That one session helped him understand the braking capability he had available (in a straight line). Previously he had been doing well in the novice group, but he had not realized the braking potential he had since most drivers do not brake that hard on the street.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:20 PM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"There is a grey blur and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..."

Joey Dunlop

and

"Silence is better than bull$hit"

Last edited by mrc24x; 05-12-2016 at 10:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Johnny C @ OG (05-16-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 06:42 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by harrydirty
Sometimes words cannot fully convey an experience. I recall the time I gave a beginner a ride in my car and he was immediately impressed with how hard a car can brake, even though he had a ZR1. That one session helped him understand the braking capability he had available (in a straight line). Previously he had been doing well in the novice group, but he had not realized the braking potential he had since most drivers do not brake that hard on the street.
Great topic gents!

I had a similar experience as above. My first event was at Summit Point Main. My instructor was trying to talk me through the braking capability of my car. I was braking way beyond the 5 marker on the main straight. He finally said ride with me, telling me my car has better tires and brakes than his. I was amazed how far away I was from hitting ABS.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:56 PM
Bossdog
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
"Don't drive his line!!!"

HPDE is about learning, not racing. Learning means focusing on your driving, your car and your instructor. In traffic it is deceptively easy to start "following" the car in front of you and lose site of the lines, braking points, apexes, etc. that you should be working on. Ever notice how you can lead a tailgater in day-to-day traffic? I _uck with them sometimes to see how disengaged they are from driving. You see this at the race track too in traffic. People forget what they are doing and just blindly follow.

second that!
Old 01-13-2017, 08:25 PM
Bossdog
Racer

"if you can't afford to leave it at the Track, it shouldn't be here in the first place"

I wish I took that advice to heart back in 2012 when I brought my Brand Spank'in New 2012 Boss to the track and had a twenty-something Kid Crash into me after he boiled off his brake fluid in his Cobalt SS.

"No Point looking 100 feet in front of you, at speed, you can't change what is going to happen there anyway."

Last edited by Bossdog; 01-13-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:41 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Bossdog
"if you can't afford to leave it at the Track, it shouldn't be here in the first place"

I wish I took that advice to heart back in 2012 when I brought my Brand Spank'in New 2012 Boss to the track and had a twenty-something Kid Crash into me after he boiled off his brake fluid in his Cobalt SS.

"No Point looking 100 feet in front of you, at speed, you can't change what is going to happen there anyway."
Ever hear of track insurance?
Old 01-13-2017, 08:55 PM
Bossdog
Racer

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Ever hear of track insurance?
I have Now, YES!
Old 01-14-2017, 12:12 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

On my first time out, during my first ever session on a track in my Z06, the instructor asked me to pull into the pits after about 3 laps of coaching. My knuckles were white, I don't think I took a breath for the entire time, and I was certain I had screwed up something, probably everything. I figured he was about to run for the hills. He got out of my car and inspected my hood very carefully. I had no idea what was going on. He got back in and calmly said: "You got a mighty fine hood son, and I can see why you stare at it so much. But on a race track, we look ahead. So for the remainder of the session, we stay in fourth gear. Be calm and smooth, relax your hands, breathe, and most of all look ahead. You will do just fine, and are safe with me."

The whole track immediately opened up to me. It was like a revelation and it calmed me down a great deal. His calmness had spread to me.

My next lesson was given to me by a ****-can Miata who referred to me as the "blue passing cone" as he lapped me more times than I am comfortable admitting....I asked him later how he learned to drive so perfect. His response: "Perfect practice".
Old 01-14-2017, 11:12 AM
Pshoe
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

One I have to tell my students regularly: Drive the car you have not the one you wish you had.

Shoe
Old 01-17-2017, 04:12 PM
ponycar
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Experienced beginners, and intermediate students:
When your student has caught a train of cars, the slower pace can throw off their rhythm. If your student is really adept, have them drive offline everywhere they feel comfortable.

When driving in a line of cars into a fast braking zone, have the student drive slightly offline so that they can see ALL of the cars in front of them, not just the car immediately in front. If someone a few cars ahead screws up, your student will not be the last to know.

If a student is getting "fast" have them describe what each flagger is wearing. Then next lap have the student tell you what the flaggers are DOING, specifically, at each station.

Advanced students: "It's the pedal on the right."
Old 01-18-2017, 10:18 AM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

Best Tip? Don't scare the Coach....

Mark
Old 01-18-2017, 12:05 PM
ryanc440
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Awesome post! Lots of great tips here; I had trouble looking far enough down the track early on, so my instructor would use the corner stations to test me. He made me verbalized what flag was showing at each corner station or what each corner worker was doing every lap. It not only instilled an obvious safety related habit of processing the track conditions via the flags being shown, but it made me assess the track and traffic before I got there, which ultimately led to better driving habits.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:50 PM
onargaroberts
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Eyes up. Look all the way down a straight. Look all the way through a corner to the exit. This serves to slow down the experience in your brain and your brain will allow you to drive faster . . . and safer.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:25 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

I've had a couple great instructors starting out, and the biggest issue I had was running the line of the car in front of me. I knew the best line, and did great at keeping to it and using all of the track. But, inevitably, a few turns in when following someone, I'd start trailing their line. After constant reminders from the instructors, I ended up going 4 wheels off at Sebring following a 911 GT2. Wasn't a major incident, straightened the car out just before it went off, slowed down in the grass just enough to turn safely, and entered the track when it was safe to do so. But...the lesson was learned...

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 01-19-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:27 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Received 475 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The best tip I got was similar to yours. I was braking going into Turn 2 at the Glen like most Novices do. I was in an 86 Corvette and my instructor a Ferrari owner said, your car is similar to a Ferrari in the way it handles. As you are approaching the turn just easily lift off the throttle make your turn in and roll back onto the throttle. I had been going into the turn at 70 mph up until then. When I did that I went into the turn at 80 and within a couple of laps I was at 90. Each time I gained 10 mph entering the turn I gained 10 mph at the end of the back straight up to the point the car couldn't go any faster. That was 23 years ago.

Bill
I had a very similar experience with turn 1 at the Glen about 10 years ago. A basic 90* right hander, slightly downhill, that i just couldn't get right in my modified Mustang Cobra. Got a ride along with an older gent who tracked his '05 Ford GT. After several laps and attempting different lines and braking points. He simply said "Maybe you just can't enter this turn at more than 60 mph in this car"
So I set up for 60mph entry and everything fell into place. Exit speeds increased noticeably as did my confidence.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:10 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Although it is not uncommon for some drivers to stay well away from the edge of the track, I had one driver that simply could not get within seemingly 3 feet of the edge. Of course, this makes it very difficult to set up a proper turn line. Finally, out of exasperation I tried the 'negative' approach. "Don't ever drive in the middle of the track!" It worked. He started doing so well that I was afraid to tell him that there were many exceptions.

Get notified of new replies

To Best tip I ever got from an HPDE instructor

Old 01-31-2017, 10:22 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Only for students with good reflexes and who understand safety (including exit strategies)... But the biggest difference maker for me after many, many, many track weekends was the advice of "stop using the middle peddle so much"!!! Amazing what happens when you manage speed through the corners instead of over breaking and taking the car in unsettled.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:39 PM
Premiumspeed
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Many of these are repeats, but i have these all written down on a note that i keep in the console of my C6Z.

-Grip the wheel gently.
-Press on the wheel gently, don't pull on it.
-Look through the turn.
-Keep your back planted in the seat.
-Roll into the throttle while unwinding the wheel.
-Sit up straight and as close to the wheel as comfort allows.
-Drag the brake slowly coming back up.
-Don't tilt your head while turning.
-Use the entire track to your advantage = speed.
-Check tire pressure after every session while hot. Adjust the next morning for any loss in pressures.
-Use your line, not the guys/gals in front of you.
-Present your car 50/50 when trying to pass, make sure they see you.
-Breathe and relax, focus on what's ahead.
-Memorize the track, watch videos and run the session in your head while on grid.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:28 PM
jhester
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Best tip I've had not yet mentioned:
"the dead pedal is there to allow your left leg to keep you planted in your seat"

If you're driving with stock seats, this trick will help you maintain a light grip on the wheel. Hardest part is reminding yourself to let off the dead pedal for a downshift on the first few laps you try it

Quick Reply: Best tip I ever got from an HPDE instructor