Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best tip I ever got from an HPDE instructor

Old 02-03-2017, 03:37 PM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I've had many of the tips mentioned here.

One I didn't see is using the seat belt lock trick to keep you in place. Right before getting on track, I extend the belt out until it starts to tick...then get it nice and tight. Really helps keep me in place so I'm not exhausted trying to prevent sliding around in my seat. This was an awesome tip for me!
Old 02-05-2017, 02:09 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMonkey73
I've had many of the tips mentioned here.

One I didn't see is using the seat belt lock trick to keep you in place. Right before getting on track, I extend the belt out until it starts to tick...then get it nice and tight. Really helps keep me in place so I'm not exhausted trying to prevent sliding around in my seat. This was an awesome tip for me!
Better yet, move your seat ll the way back, set your belt as you describe, then move your seat forward to tighten it further.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:42 AM
rkdc5z06
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

try to concentrate on corner exit and gas out early as possible.
This will maximize your straight line speed that you can reach. I got my new PB concentrating on this.
Happy HPDE and hope to learn fine tings about driving.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:50 PM
zipity
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 668 Likes on 290 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Two things I always tell my novice students and they get a laugh out of it is to;
Not use a death grip on the steering wheel and to wiggle their fingers on the straights.

And to BREATHE. Seems pretty basic but most novice drivers are so caught out they tend to forget to breathe deep. it helps keep you calm and more oxygen in your lungs is a good thing.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:17 PM
cgh1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One piece of advice I always do my best to impart on HPDE drivers, even in the higher run groups is "Avoid chasing speed - it will elude you like a carrot on a stick mounted to your helmet. Instead, focus on smoothness and the speed will come naturally as a byproduct."

And when it comes to seeking a skill to improve if unsure about what to work on, work on brake release technique. Control weight transfer off the nose through the first part/half of the turn with appropriate brake release - don't rush it.
The following 2 users liked this post by cgh1:
mikeCsix (02-12-2017), SouthernSon (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 01:59 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by cgh1
One piece of advice I always do my best to impart on HPDE drivers, even in the higher run groups is "Avoid chasing speed - it will elude you like a carrot on a stick mounted to your helmet. Instead, focus on smoothness and the speed will come naturally as a byproduct."

And when it comes to seeking a skill to improve if unsure about what to work on, work on brake release technique. Control weight transfer off the nose through the first part/half of the turn with appropriate brake release - don't rush it.

I thought I recognized that username! Ha! How are you, Chuck?

Back in 2009 or 2010, I was giving a ride-along to a Classroom Instructor at VIR in my new-to-me-C5. We did a couple of laps and the Classroom Instructor asks over the radio something along the lines of, "Do you want to go faster through Hogpen or are you happy with your speed?"

The next lap through he showed me a different line that had me straddling stuff I normally stayed off of in my Cobras. My speed through 16, 17, and trackout of Hogpen increased.

I won several VIR TTs that year and I still put distance on people in that area. Of course, the new curbing at VIR and my current aero have put a hampering on how much dirt I can kick up in some spots of VIR, but the lesson stuck and transferred to other corners at other tracks.

The right-seat-ballast-advice-giver was a guy named Chuck Hawks.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:59 PM
08shel-b
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys, complete newbie, could someone explain to me what is meat by "in a spin feet in"?
Old 02-09-2017, 03:06 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by 08shel-b
Hey guys, complete newbie, could someone explain to me what is meat by "in a spin feet in"?
In a spin, both feet in.

Some of the other guys can expand on it, but the general point is one foot puts the clutch to the floor and the other does the same to the brake. You're trying to get the car to continue moving in one specific direction, stopping as quickly as possible, and prevent it from spinning and whipping around...taking the driver for a ride and an inevitable collision course with trees, walls, or lap traffic. With your other foot on the clutch, it won't stall. That way, if you didn't hit anything, you can GTFO out of the way of other cars or get back on track when safe to do so.

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 02-09-2017 at 03:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
08shel-b (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 03:08 PM
08shel-b
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
In a spin, both feet in.

Some of the other guys can expand on it, but the general point is one foot puts the clutch to the floor and the other does the same to the brake. You're trying to get the car to continue moving in one specific direction, stopping as quickly as possible, and prevent it from spinning and whipping around...taking the driver for a ride and an inevitable collision course with trees, walls, or lap traffic.

Thank you!!
Old 02-09-2017, 05:23 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by cgh1

What Chuck said!
Old 02-09-2017, 06:19 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

To add to what Chuck and Art stated, the main reason why we teach noobs "both feet in" is to be predictable when spinning. If the driver will lock down the tires, then the car will slide in (hopefully) a one dimensional direction. This is preferable for anyone behind the spinning car because you will be able to predict which direction it is headed. If the spinning noob fights the car and tries to save it, they will potentially be all over the place and subsequent drivers have to guess where to go to avoid them.

To define WHEN to go both feet in, there is a point in the yaw angle of a car that the slide/drift is going to be unrecoverable - for most people (do not use my videos as a guideline). At that point, go both feet in so you can politely head off in a predictable direction.

AND KEEP BOTH YOUR FEET IN UNTIL OTHERS HAVE GOTTEN AROUND YOU!!!! All too often, someone will spin and then let a car roll backwards across the racing surface back into the way of following drivers. It happened to me a couple of weeks ago at Roebling. Thank goodness I was watching the spinning Porche's wheels and saw them begin to roll backwards. Quick hands took me off into the sand and quick feet got me back on the racing surface and still in first place.

08-ShelBe - I can send you video examples if you need them.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:46 PM
cgh1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
I thought I recognized that username! Ha! How are you, Chuck?

Back in 2009 or 2010...
Yep, I remember that, Kevin. :-) Among many other great days spent at the track with you and others.

Crazy busy these days. Sadly, that keeps me away from online forums like CorvetteForum (plus CF has gotten so ridden with ads, bg scripts & such that I can't take the slow load times - even when I'm home on a 350Mb TWC connection(!) so the only times I get to check in are around events I'm a part of, like NCM track programs.

I trust you and the family are all doing great! Nice "hearing" from you!
:-D
Old 02-12-2017, 12:54 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

dont lift off mid corner
Old 02-13-2017, 09:37 PM
Jeffdenney
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

STICKY?

Tons of great info here! I'm looking to start HPDE this season in Michigan and this thread is awesome for guys like me!
Old 02-14-2017, 01:54 AM
gun5l1ng3r
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wind and unwind the wheel when turning...the key is smoothness
Old 02-18-2017, 06:38 PM
Yaabu
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the best experiences I had with an instructor was when he had me speak what I was doing around the track. On gas, off gas, how much?, on brake, just setting the nose?, off brake, upshift, downshift, turn in, was it wide/early/late?, unwind... You can only do this calmly and clearly if your head is up, and you're looking and thinking ahead.
The following users liked this post:
Cyber Greg (02-19-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best tip I ever got from an HPDE instructor