Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open or Enclosed Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 06:45 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

Escape door for the win

Old 05-11-2016, 12:38 AM
carefulnow
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I dunno if you really need an escape door. I've never had to get in my car to get it into or out of the trailer due to having a winch with a wireless remote.

By the time you need to input steering (in or out) the door is already clear of the opening. I suppose if you were pulling the thing up while on a massive slope sideways it'd be an issue...
Old 05-11-2016, 09:08 PM
Deuce Man
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So, I probably should've expected this....but I'm still torn.

One thought I have....I have hauled my car a few times on a 22 ft. steel flatbed trailer on long trips to NCM 9about 7 hour drive) which includes enough hilly terrain to test my truck. It was a dual axle trailer with brakes. The truck handled it fine without issue. And when I say without issue, I mean without issue. I had the truck full of tools, tires, spare rotors, pop up tent, luggage, you name it. I was impressed with how my F-150 did. I am guessing an enclosed trailer only adds around 1,000 pounds. My only concern might be the wind as it will probably act like a big sail.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:24 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

It added over 2000# for me. Now that I can carry spares back there, it's more like 3000# extra back there plus the sail.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:30 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Ditto the above. My Kaufman 20' steel was 2k, my enclosed is 5k before adding all the same gear. Unless you buy a high end aluminum enclosed it's a very noticeable difference... And as you even said, wind is a real bitch
Old 05-12-2016, 03:06 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Throwing this out there regarding tow vehicle selection: For my 28' enclosed (tad under 10K# when loaded up) I thought my '13 Chevy 2500 HD gas 6.0 would be A-OK....for local trailering (hour our less, transporting between house and local track) it was fine but still not optimal. I also use the enclosed trailer to transport two RZRs (a 4-seater and a 2-seater) and that involves longer trips in hilly terrain - my truck was pretty much at WFO to make speed. Bought a '15 Chevy 3500 HD dually 6.6 Duramax diesel...double the torque of the gas motor I had. No issues, it pulls like a freight train! Highway on-ramp acceleration is quite good too!
Old 05-12-2016, 10:07 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

My 20' TPD empty is ~3500lbs.... near 7k with the car and 'stuff'
but it wasn't the weight, it was the aero drag that overwhelmed the 1/2 ton.
3/4 ton 'burb: no prob.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:12 PM
Silver -V-
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A couple of National tour autocrossers are selling their trailer which is set up well for their C5. This could save you some money. They currently are towing local events with a F-150 EcoBoost with no issues using a load leveling hitch.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/for/5578945276.html
Old 05-13-2016, 01:58 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Now where the heck was a deal like that when I was trailer shopping two years ago!?!?! LOL!
Old 05-14-2016, 12:16 AM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Have done both. A lot of real good info here but it really does come down to your truck.
Open= gas truck set up properly.
Enclosed= diesel 2500, no issues.
I refuse to go back to a 2500 duramax to tow enclosed 4-5 times year.
My buddy has an 22 ft enclosed w/ c6Z and has to use a diesel. he gets 10-11 mpg in a Ford 6.7
I am open in a gas 2015 Denali XL 6.2 pulling open 20 ft w/ C6z= over 14 mpg

I can pull at 85-90 mph if I want, he cannot. This is not towing speed I realize, but that last 500 miles home is always over 80 mph and i do it easily.
Enclosed is great on several fronts as many mentioned but can be a chore without a diesel, and even with one if your going long distance slower and really effected by cross winds.
I'm lucky, I have the Denali as a DD and tow an open and my buddy has the enclosed which is great for hanging out in at the track!! I wouldn't own and enclosed without a diesel truck.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:35 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuce Man
So, I probably should've expected this....but I'm still torn.

One thought I have....I have hauled my car a few times on a 22 ft. steel flatbed trailer on long trips to NCM 9about 7 hour drive) which includes enough hilly terrain to test my truck. It was a dual axle trailer with brakes. The truck handled it fine without issue. And when I say without issue, I mean without issue. I had the truck full of tools, tires, spare rotors, pop up tent, luggage, you name it. I was impressed with how my F-150 did. I am guessing an enclosed trailer only adds around 1,000 pounds. My only concern might be the wind as it will probably act like a big sail.
The wind, and load from it, by far is the issue. It will not be weight. Your F150 will have no problem with an open, which is what you experienced. Go tow an enclosed trailer with same or more weight and you will be shopping for a new diesel 2500 truck!! trust me tow it loaded before you buy it. A loaded enclosed will start the decline of your gas 1500.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:57 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't know why everyone says a diesel is required to pull an enclosed trailer. I have a 20' enclosed trailer and my 2500 Suburban pulls it with no problems.... Except it gets crummy gas mileage while towing (7.5 to 8 mpg). I towed this trailer with a 1500 Suburban for quite a while and it did an alright job. The only issue with the 1500 is that it would occasionally buck and kick going over uneven freeways. It's sure a diesel would get better mileage while towing, but for me the Suburban is a better all around vehicle.

I should also mention that my race car only weighs 1300# so it may be different hauling a Corvette.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:26 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by seamus2154
The wind, and load from it, by far is the issue. It will not be weight. Your F150 will have no problem with an open, which is what you experienced. Go tow an enclosed trailer with same or more weight and you will be shopping for a new diesel 2500 truck!! trust me tow it loaded before you buy it. A loaded enclosed will start the decline of your gas 1500.
Bingo, I get pretty much the same mileage when towing my enclosed trailer whether it has a car in it or not. My trailer does have an A/C on top and two Fantastic type air fan vents that cause additional aero drag. Any type of headwind will lower mileage and vehicle speed is also a culprit. Going 70 mph vs 55 mph can cost you 3 to 4 mpg.

But damn, I really don't know how I can live without my enclosed trailer now that I have it.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:13 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
I don't know why everyone says a diesel is required to pull an enclosed trailer. I have a 20' enclosed trailer and my 2500 Suburban pulls it with no problems.... Except it gets crummy gas mileage while towing (7.5 to 8 mpg)....[/IMG][/URL]
I have an F-150 with the 3.5 liter V6 turbocharged EcoBoost, and it pulls my small 20' enclosed with no problems at all. I do only get 9 to 10 mpg with 87 octane. My trailer is aluminum and loaded up it weighs about 6500 lbs.

I've got more than 8000 miles towing it from Florida - several times up over the Appalachians to the NCM Motorsports Park in Bowling Green, and an number of times over smaller hills up to VIR, and it never slows down at all going over hills here in the east.

But - I think if you're up around 8000 lbs or more (probably any loaded 24' will be up in that area or higher) you'll need more than a 1/2 ton truck.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:55 AM
Deuce Man
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I need to find a 20' enlcosed trailer to borrow and take to the track once, just to see how my truck handles it. As previously mentioned, I was more than impressed with the open trailer, just curious on the closed trailer. Might be best to just test before buying.

On a side note, anything think the enclosed trialer with the V-noe helps at all with aero? I like them more fo the additional room than anything, but wondering if the aero doesn' help too.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:04 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

curious how much that bubble on the front of the trailer helps, if any.

been seeing wind deflectors mounted on the trucks as well. anyone running anything that helps with MPG etc. (please don't say buy a diesel)

example

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
I don't know why everyone says a diesel is required to pull an enclosed trailer. I have a 20' enclosed trailer and my 2500 Suburban pulls it with no problems.... Except it gets crummy gas mileage while towing (7.5 to 8 mpg). I towed this trailer with a 1500 Suburban for quite a while and it did an alright job. The only issue with the 1500 is that it would occasionally buck and kick going over uneven freeways. It's sure a diesel would get better mileage while towing, but for me the Suburban is a better all around vehicle.

I should also mention that my race car only weighs 1300# so it may be different hauling a Corvette.

Last edited by edge04; 05-16-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:09 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Peter Brock designed a trailer that is low profile and has good aero. There is a lot of interesting tech info here:

http://www.bre2.net/pdfs/bre2_aerova...jFU6X2usBJKjz3

I do see that it is pretty damn expensive and $10k over the price of a very nice trailer will buy three lifetimes supply of fuel mileage differences. His theory is the trailer handles so much better and a large truck does not need to be used.

Regarding putting a bubble or V nose on the front of the trailer, the total surface area (friction against the air) is the same so mileage probably will not change much. But, it might handle side winds better. The above document explains a lot about trailer aero.

Regardless of what trailer one buys, a winch is my favorite trailer accessory. I just helped a friend install a Superwinch model with synthetic rope.....it was awesome. With the wireless remote control, it is pretty epic when trying to pull wide Vettes or Vipers into a the trailer with no drama or need for an escape door. The model used was the S7500 which is over kill and I would have used the S5500 unit:

https://www.superwinch.com/products/...railer-winches

Get notified of new replies

To Open or Enclosed Trailer

Old 05-16-2016, 09:20 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by edge04
curious how much that bubble on the front of the trailer helps, if any.

been seeing wind deflectors mounted on the trucks as well. anyone running anything that helps with MPG etc. (please don't say buy a diesel)

example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrJoYmNY4MI
I had high hopes when I added it.... But it didn't improve my mileage at all. It want worth the money.

Charley
Old 05-17-2016, 03:48 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Although many vehicles have a tow rating that would appear to make do with what you have, only a few are really worthy when it comes to mileage, ease, comfort and good control. Ask anyone that now tows with a diesel after running gas. They will be glad to explain the difference. Now, as far as your particular use, do you tow a good distance? with friends in diesels that tend to go fast? over hills and mountains? In almost all instances you will arrive in a diesel much better refreshed and at ease than someone that flogs a gasoline for all its worth while drifting back and forth across the highways.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:04 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Although many vehicles have a tow rating that would appear to make do with what you have, only a few are really worthy when it comes to mileage, ease, comfort and good control. Ask anyone that now tows with a diesel after running gas. They will be glad to explain the difference. Now, as far as your particular use, do you tow a good distance? with friends in diesels that tend to go fast? over hills and mountains? In almost all instances you will arrive in a diesel much better refreshed and at ease than someone that flogs a gasoline for all its worth while drifting back and forth across the highways.
I think you are combining two separate things. Power (and potentially fuel efficiency) and handling capacity. The engine certainly affects the Power and fuel efficiency but it shouldn't affect the handling of the vehicle. I would think a 3/4 or 1 ton vehicle would have the same handling (e.g. "Drifting back and forth") regardless of the engine choice. But I am sure the fuel mileage and power would be better in a diesel. In my case the mileage difference for the ~10 times I tow per year didn't offset the price premium for the diesel or the convenience of having a Suburban. Of course everyone's needs are different. But I will say that moving up from a 1500 suburban to the 2500 suburban made a big difference in improving the towing experience.

Quick Reply: Open or Enclosed Trailer