Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open or Enclosed Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 10:06 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
I think you are combining two separate things. Power (and potentially fuel efficiency) and handling capacity. The engine certainly affects the Power and fuel efficiency but it shouldn't affect the handling of the vehicle. I would think a 3/4 or 1 ton vehicle would have the same handling (e.g. "Drifting back and forth") regardless of the engine choice. But I am sure the fuel mileage and power would be better in a diesel. In my case the mileage difference for the ~10 times I tow per year didn't offset the price premium for the diesel or the convenience of having a Suburban. Of course everyone's needs are different. But I will say that moving up from a 1500 suburban to the 2500 suburban made a big difference in improving the towing experience.
I think 1500 when discussing gas. I can't imagine gasoline for a vehicle weighing close to 4 tons before loading or pulling.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:17 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
I think 1500 when discussing gas. I can't imagine gasoline for a vehicle weighing close to 4 tons before loading or pulling.

Around town the 2500 Suburban gets similar mileage to my 1500 Suburban. Towing the 2500 gets about 1 mpg less than the 1500. If they made a 2500 Suburban with a diesel I would have paid the premium (although for how little I drive it would likely be cheaper to just pay the extra cost for the gas than to pay the diesel premium).
Old 05-19-2016, 09:18 PM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

I've had both types of trailers and definitely prefer my enclosed. It's a 24ft. but with the v-nose. I think loading the car is easier except for having to climb out the window. It actually came with a winch that I've never even tried! Maybe I should play with that thing next time I use it. I just like the security and having a place to hang in the pits out of the sun. My truck is a 3/4 ton GMC Sierra 6.0. (Magnacharged of course) It pulls the trailer with no problem, but you know its back there. As stated, open trailers are fine, but doubt you'd regret an enclosed..
Old 05-20-2016, 06:43 AM
555ss
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing beats the ability to just back the trailer up and leave it as is for a few days when the car has pissed you off..... Where if you go with the open trailer you have to unload the tools ect then find a beer to cool off.... I have had both and the enclosed is the BEST by far.
We are spoiled now with a 48' stacker lift gate tons of tool and part storage, a bath lounge, several sets of tires and 3 cars WAY TOO COOL.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:47 AM
1badtantrum
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I started with an open trailer and have migrated/upgraded to a 24' enclosed. The closed trailer provides so many other abilities and options I can't go back to the open trailer now. My car doesn't have windows anymore so transport of any kind would be a PITA in an open. The closed trailer also provides cover from rain/sun and storage for everything you bring to the track. You can store the car in the trailer, etc. As mentioned, they are bigger, heavier, more to tow, etc. I have no problem loading, unloading, getting into and out of my car (C6Z06) while in the trailer by myself. For me, hands down closed.

Originally Posted by Deuce Man
Ok, so finally considering buying a trailer to go to and from the track. Looking for advice from those who have had both, or maybe not but love what they have.

Open to advice, opinions, and primarily your personal list of pros and cons for each option. Fire away, I'm open to suggestions.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:58 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

I upgraded my 1500 to deal with the weight, and now I just deal with the lack of power. My upgrades were quite comprehensive, so no safety concerns. Since most events are covered with a single tank of gas, fuel economy/range is not much of a concern. Even at $4/gallon, fuel is still far cheaper than a payment on a 2500 diesel. I hate listening to my POS scream all the time, but it still doesnt' work as hard as the car inside the trailer. If I pull back to 3rd gear, I can pick my speed/MPG but if I decide I NEED to hold 4th, I go with the truck's desires. My usual mode of travel is to attempt to hold 4th (4L80 swap FTW!), but a Whipple swap will happen this year so I suspect I will enjoy towing a lot more in the years to come. Shortly after the blower, I'll add a 30ish gallon cell in the bed and just sell my soul to the oil companies.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:08 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

I have a Trailex enclosed. Weighs about 1,500 pounds and easily pulled by my Nissan Armada. I don't miss my open trailer.

Quick Reply: Open or Enclosed Trailer