Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting 6pt sub-straps with Marrad/Hardbar/MTI Aluminum brackets

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 05:24 PM
mmacias2
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mounting 6pt sub-straps with Marrad/Hardbar/MTI Aluminum brackets

I am looking to purchase a set of fixed back seats and being a tall driver my mounting options are most likely limited to the aluminum side mounts offered by various vendors (Hardbar/MTI/Marrad).

My question is how does one correctly mount the sub-straps of a 6 pt harness using these brackets?
Old 05-16-2016, 07:21 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mmacias2
I am looking to purchase a set of fixed back seats and being a tall driver my mounting options are most likely limited to the aluminum side mounts offered by various vendors (Hardbar/MTI/Marrad).

My question is how does one correctly mount the sub-straps of a 6 pt harness using these brackets?
Typically drill holes in the floor for your eye bolts, and use big *** washers or plates on either side of the floor to distribute the load of the eye bolts. Sounds scary but it's a piece of cake.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:40 AM
Matt_27
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I bolted the eyebolts to the side of my Marrad brackets, with the eyes facing inside underneath the seat bottom. Just used big washers as load spreaders.

For the lap belt if you get Schroth B23a fittings and bolt those to one of the unused holes in the brackets below your seat's harness holes it makes for very easy mounting.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:28 AM
mmacias2
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt_27
I bolted the eyebolts to the side of my Marrad brackets, with the eyes facing inside underneath the seat bottom. Just used big washers as load spreaders.

For the lap belt if you get Schroth B23a fittings and bolt those to one of the unused holes in the brackets below your seat's harness holes it makes for very easy mounting.

ok this what I was thinking too, this is NASA and SCAA legal correct? the other option would be the Teamtech Jetpack harness
Old 05-17-2016, 11:27 AM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Call and talk to Marrad Industries. He'll have a good solution.

I'm using the Marrad brackets with the slides and side mounts and rear harness anchor system. I ran my 6pt sub straps back to the rear anchor bracket. His newer bracket has an adjustable bracket specifically for the sub harnesses. Allows you to mount the ends more forward (more under your butt, rather than behind your butt), which is more inline with the recommended angles for the sub harnesses.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:38 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mmacias2
ok this what I was thinking too, this is NASA and SCAA legal correct? the other option would be the Teamtech Jetpack harness

That is legal for NASA.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

With the seats I am selling I had the driver side sub belts fastened to eye bolts attached to the inside of the Hardbar rails. I had the lap belts attached at the rear of the hard bar rails on a Chrysler OEM lap belt mounting bolt that had a shoulder permitting the lap belt end to swivel. You don't want the lap belt fastened so the end can't swivel.

Bill
Old 05-23-2016, 04:49 PM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
Typically drill holes in the floor for your eye bolts, and use big *** washers or plates on either side of the floor to distribute the load of the eye bolts. Sounds scary but it's a piece of cake.
I do not recommend this. The floor underneath the seats is a thin composite material and not structural in any way shape or form. You could very easily rip the bolts through the floor in the event of even a minor wreck.

Originally Posted by Matt_27
This is what I did and what I recommend. The brackets are solid pieces, and the seat bolts are mounted through metal crossbars, not the composite floor.

Get notified of new replies

To Mounting 6pt sub-straps with Marrad/Hardbar/MTI Aluminum brackets

Quick Reply: Mounting 6pt sub-straps with Marrad/Hardbar/MTI Aluminum brackets