Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie c4 owner in need of help...GRM $2016 challenge build

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 08:09 AM
Dueller
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks to all of your help we are much closer and getting the car to run better. But something is reared its ugly head period and eliminating parts of the harness that are no longer needed we discovered that the knock sensor wiring disappeared into the harness and when we were tracing it it is not connected. Where does the knock sensor in a the wiring loom to go to the ECU? Thanks again to the knowledge vault. You guys have been so helpful and we truly appreciate it.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:05 PM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Dueller
Thanks to all of your help we are much closer and getting the car to run better. But something is reared its ugly head period and eliminating parts of the harness that are no longer needed we discovered that the knock sensor wiring disappeared into the harness and when we were tracing it it is not connected. Where does the knock sensor in a the wiring loom to go to the ECU? Thanks again to the knowledge vault. You guys have been so helpful and we truly appreciate it.
The blue output wire from the knock sensor feeds directly into the Electronic Spark Control module (ESC) (see picture below). The ESC module is located on the passenger side of the blower housing in the engine bay. (If you have the original unit, it will say "HKR" in big block initials on the outside.) Just run your knock sensor to that module and it should take care of passing the info on to the ECM.

Hope this helps! ( BTW, the picture is from the scans I made of the engine TPI wiring diagrams. That may be easier to read.)

Old 09-01-2016, 08:25 AM
Dueller
Advanced

Once again you have come to our rescue mr. Beach. But now we have an additional problem. We've been having trouble setting timing and have now realized that the reason timing is wandering all over the place is that the ESC is non-existent. We have tracked the wiring and see where it was cut. So now we're on the search for the four wires that attach to the ESC so we can wire the loom back in to give THE ECM proper signal as to timing.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:45 AM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Once again you have come to our rescue mr. Beach. But now we have an additional problem. We've been having trouble setting timing and have now realized that the reason timing is wandering all over the place is that the ESC is non-existent. We have tracked the wiring and see where it was cut. So now we're on the search for the four wires that attach to the ESC so we can wire the loom back in to give THE ECM proper signal as to timing.
The ESC module has five connections lettered from A to E. (The letters are on the front of the connector, same side as the tab lock.) Going from the firewall side (left hand side when facing the ESC module) to the right hand side (engine bay side) the connections are:

A (empty)

B Pink w/Black Stripe (positive voltage feed from ECM/ENG fuse)

C Black (output to ECM, one of the few cases when the color black doesn't indicate a ground)

D Brown (ground)

E Blue (input from knock sensor).

All the wires should be located in the same plastic-shielded wire bundle feeding up from the passenger side of the engine block near the rear.
If you have problems locating the cut wires especially the output to the ECM, I can give you a pin read-out for the wiring connector readout to the ECM connector. Just let me know.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:00 AM
Dueller
Advanced

Thanks again. Don't know what we would do without you . Located the plug for the ESC. Have located all wires except where the pink wire goes into the bloom. I suppose we can start at the ECM and work back ? Thanks to your help we're getting close

Good thing as we only have 4 weeks from today before we leave for the event in Gainesville Florida. you you sure you don't want to come down and join us? LOL maybe more maybe more maybe more work than you want haha

Last edited by Dueller; 09-01-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:38 AM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Thanks again. Don't know what we would do without you . Located the plug for the ESC. Have located all wires except where the pink wire goes into the bloom. I suppose we can start at the ECM and work back ? Thanks to your help we're getting close

The pink wire w/black stripe come off the ECM/ENG fuse. The positive voltage lead that you're looking for goes through the firewall and comes out just below and to the rear of the passenger side valve cover, snakes it way across the evaporator housing, underneath the heater hoses, across the blower motor housing, behind the windshield washer bottle ,and then up to the ESC module itself. The feed wire should be there some where even if the previous owner snipped off the wire near the blower motor. The only wire that goes to the ECM is the black wire from the ESC module.

Good thing as we only have 4 weeks from today before we leave for the event in Gainesville Florida. you you sure you don't want to come down and join us? LOL maybe more maybe more maybe more work than you want haha

Unfortunately, I still have the Solo event scheduled that weekend up in Virginia. As the region's Solo Chair, don't think that I can skip that event since I'm the Solo Safety Steward for the event itself. I'll be rooting for you though!
Hope this helps locate that last remaining wire!
Old 09-03-2016, 03:06 PM
Dueller
Advanced

We finally have success to report to the Forum. Thanks to the tireless efforts of many of you especially mr. Beachcomber we have the old girl running perfectly. At least perfect for a 30 year old L98. Pulls hard all the way up until it runs out of breath. We have chased many electrical problems and fuel injection problems that were the product of 27 years of redneck backyard mechanics. IIncluding us. LOL

We have a lot of minor things to do like cosmetics and suspension adjustments before the challenge at the end of this month. When I get a chance I'll report fully.

Last edited by Dueller; 09-03-2016 at 03:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BrianCunningham (09-04-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 11:52 AM
Dueller
Advanced

Sorry I haven't logged in to give an update but we've been thrashing getting this car in shape for next week's 2016 dollar challenge in Gainesville, Florida. I just wanted to take the time to thank everybody who offered advice, pointers, donated Parts, and were so unselfish answering are stupid question. Also want to thank mr. Beachcomber for all of his assistants and tireless advice on putting this over all together. I know some. May not like the direction we've taken with this C4 but at least we kept it out of the junkyard as an abandoned parts car. Hopefully we will do you proud at the challenge. We certainly are going to give credit in our Livery lettering to the Corvette forum for all of their help. We are finishing up the cosmetics but I will give you a little teaser pic where we are going.
Thanks again, guys.look for a complete story and update soon

Last edited by Dueller; 09-22-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:31 PM
Madhatr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Been following along on both forums... I will be rooting for guys (Corvette solidarity). It looks like there is to be some awesome stuff showing up... can't wait to see the coverage and hear rhe stories!

Be safe and have a great time!

Last edited by Madhatr; 09-22-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:23 PM
Dueller
Advanced

Originally Posted by Madhatr
Been following along on both forums... I will be rooting for guys (Corvette solidarity). It looks like there is to be some awesome stuff showing up... can't wait to see the coverage and hear rhe stories!

Be safe and have a great time!
Well, we made it though. Had a blast. Didn't do as well as we want because of transmission issues and we really weren't totally prepared but hopefully we did you all Proud by just showing up. Give you a full report when I get a good night sleep

Afraid we hurt the motor and transmission pushing a little too hard. Will give you all an update when I get back home. For now a little teaser photo of how the car looks on track

Total budget under GRM rules....$981.00. So next year we'll have over $1,000 to throw at it and maybe get a much better suspension and some tranny work.

The really good news is we got weight down to 2,750 pounds!!!!!!

Last edited by Dueller; 10-02-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:38 AM
Dueller
Advanced

And so you guys know, I tried to give the forum a little credit for you giys help....
The following users liked this post:
KBoltz (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 01:47 PM
KBoltz
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Great job - you guys stuck it out.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:21 PM
SuperL98
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 253 Posts

http://classicmotorsports.com/media/...ngeResults.pdf

Looks like you came in 20th place out of 41 entries, would say you did pretty darn good for your first effort

Last edited by SuperL98; 10-03-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:25 PM
Dueller
Advanced

Originally Posted by SuperL98
http://classicmotorsports.com/media/...ngeResults.pdf

Looks like you came in 20th place out of 41 entries, would say you did pretty darn good for your first effort
Thanks! Couldn't have done it without help here. It was definitely a learning experience. We were a bit disappointed with our results even though we finished in the top half. Our giggles mistake was not getting the car ready in time to do some testing. We literally finished the car the morning we left for Gainesville Florida and the 600-mile drive there. Had we tested we would have discovered that although the engine was running fine the transmission was not cooperative. On the autocross it would shift when we didn't want it to and it found up our times. The Pro driver said without the transmission problem it could have run a full two seconds faster on the autocross course which would have put it in the top six or seven of the event period Then on the drag race it wouldn't shift when we wanted to. The car was easily a mid 13 second quarter mile time car. But it would hang up in second and we have to get out of it and then back in it. Additionally we did was a 15-3 but lost the time slip. So we had to use our next best time of 16 for which is ridiculous. Will know better next time.. by the time the car shows around we were exhausted and just rolled it in and didn't do anything to clean it up and possibly score more points..

So it could have been a top ten car and we felt we let the car down and the Corvette forum. But will know better next year. LOL some pictures for your consideration.

Last edited by Dueller; 10-05-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:47 PM
Dueller
Advanced

Subaru justy body mounted on Mustang GT chassis. 1 the autocross with a high 39-second run. Call the justang

a local Mississippi Distillery donated half a case of vodka 4 Hour after party

overall winner. 68 Volkswagen Beetle body mounted on homemade tube frame chassis powered by a small block Chevy. Ran a 10.2 second quarter.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:47 PM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice Job and the car looks great! I'm sure you guys were dead tired scrambling to get the it ready let alone the extra work during the event.

Matt
Old 10-10-2016, 11:08 AM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Here's a link to Art Carr's recommendation on setting the manual T.V. cable on 700R4's. This should correct the shifting problems we discussed over the phone.

I'm working on copying the Code 34 trouble-shooting guide for you. I was wrong in that the MAF Burn Off relay sets a separate code (Code 36).
Old 10-10-2016, 11:31 AM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Here's the factory trouble-shooting guide for Code 34 plus the location of relays & sensors in the engine bay. If the relay isn't bad and cleaning the MAF itself doesn't work, looks like it's a bad MAF to me. (Hope is isn't until you're ready to swap out the TPI system for a carburetor.)

Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Code 34 Trouble-Shooting.pdf (1.22 MB, 60 views)

Quick Reply: Newbie c4 owner in need of help...GRM $2016 challenge build