Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road race c4 long tube vs, miniram

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 10:08 AM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Rob,

I've been in your shoes and I've tried a range of solutions but the first thing I would recommend is looking at the data from a few laps on your tracks. If you don't have data (Harry's lap timer or an actual logger), hopefully you can recall the rpm and gear on each corner exit, top rpm/gear before your brake point for the next turn and rpm when getting on the gas.

Next, print out a selection of gear calculators with different rear ratios and even transmission ratios (a TKO600 is a great option if you go to big tracks).

Now take that information and figure out what will keep you between the peak power range of your intake /gear options the most. I'm guessing you'll also find it's better to keep a gear a little longer than actually downshifting in a few spots.

Nothing will be perfect but it will get you on the right track. *Also plan on a few 100 rpm more on exits as you better your times.

I currently run long tubes and I'm really happy with the power for my HP/Weight limited class but I have to admit that the car felt like a rocket with the HSR intake. I've also run plenty of ratios and transmissions (4+3, ZF6, TKO600RR).

A few facts and pros/cons:

1. HSR 350 cu. - 392 wtq at 4100/ 372 whp to 6000

Fast everywhere and felt like it never stopped pulling but I started having valve train and oil temp/pressure issues in turns over 6300 rpm. No biggie once addressed but keep that in mind if you choose to go with a higher rpm intake. Also, add an under drive pulley for your PS or it will cook.

2. Accel ported base and runners 350cu.- 410 wtq at 3200/ 328 whp at 4800 **Above 300 rwhp from 3700-6000 rpm.
I might lose a few car lengths above 100-140 mph but I feel like I gain it back in the short straights between turns.

Drivetrain:

I settled on a 3.54 and TKO600RR with a 5.5" Quartermaster clutch. The 5th gear .82 ratio was a big improvement up top and the clutch is just crazy. It revs like a two stroke but it is a little bit of a pain loading and running around the pits.

I could keep rambling but hopefully this will give you a few ideas.

Matt

Last edited by mrc24x; 05-23-2016 at 10:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rob31 (06-12-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 11:03 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by l98tpi
Just curious, did you ever run large tube runners and a high flow base or did you go from the stock runners to the Mini Ram?
I tried many of the common combos. Porting/Siamese stock, AS&M large tubes, big mouth base then ported, Super ram then ported, MR then ported it. Different heads, cam, etc. Sorry for late reply was at Road America with NASA all weekend. Perfect weather!
Old 05-23-2016, 04:29 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I tried many of the common combos. Porting/Siamese stock, AS&M large tubes, big mouth base then ported, Super ram then ported, MR then ported it. Different heads, cam, etc. Sorry for late reply was at Road America with NASA all weekend. Perfect weather!
You definitely have some good feedback for intakes to run on the track
Old 05-23-2016, 04:32 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by mrc24x
Hi Rob,

I've been in your shoes and I've tried a range of solutions but the first thing I would recommend is looking at the data from a few laps on your tracks. If you don't have data (Harry's lap timer or an actual logger), hopefully you can recall the rpm and gear on each corner exit, top rpm/gear before your brake point for the next turn and rpm when getting on the gas.

Next, print out a selection of gear calculators with different rear ratios and even transmission ratios (a TKO600 is a great option if you go to big tracks).

Now take that information and figure out what will keep you between the peak power range of your intake /gear options the most. I'm guessing you'll also find it's better to keep a gear a little longer than actually downshifting in a few spots.

Nothing will be perfect but it will get you on the right track. *Also plan on a few 100 rpm more on exits as you better your times.

I currently run long tubes and I'm really happy with the power for my HP/Weight limited class but I have to admit that the car felt like a rocket with the HSR intake. I've also run plenty of ratios and transmissions (4+3, ZF6, TKO600RR).

A few facts and pros/cons:

1. HSR 350 cu. - 392 wtq at 4100/ 372 whp to 6000

Fast everywhere and felt like it never stopped pulling but I started having valve train and oil temp/pressure issues in turns over 6300 rpm. No biggie once addressed but keep that in mind if you choose to go with a higher rpm intake. Also, add an under drive pulley for your PS or it will cook.

2. Accel ported base and runners 350cu.- 410 wtq at 3200/ 328 whp at 4800 **Above 300 rwhp from 3700-6000 rpm.
I might lose a few car lengths above 100-140 mph but I feel like I gain it back in the short straights between turns.

Drivetrain:

I settled on a 3.54 and TKO600RR with a 5.5" Quartermaster clutch. The 5th gear .82 ratio was a big improvement up top and the clutch is just crazy. It revs like a two stroke but it is a little bit of a pain loading and running around the pits.

I could keep rambling but hopefully this will give you a few ideas.

Matt

This is good stuff here. Anybody setting a car up has to get this in depth if you want to be competitive. And it takes time and a lot of testing and tuning.

Quick Reply: Road race c4 long tube vs, miniram