Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No nannies

Old 05-26-2016, 11:13 AM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
I was looking for C5 track tests on YouTube(not many out there) and came across this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0_hguV_vMI
If you notice, every time he wines about "no power" he has the steering lock in understeer before the apex, and stabbing the throttle, doing just what I said most new track/autocross drivers do. His so called fast lap is driving in a backdooring in oversteer mode (also note he is catching the car, not drifting it. Consistently going over the thresh hold of traction, feels fast but we know it's not.)

Mark

Last edited by Moto One; 05-26-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:09 AM
carefulnow
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I was looking for C5 track tests on YouTube(not many out there) and came across this.

To me this is just a video of overdriving the **** out of a car. @4m28s. I mean.. wtf.

Last edited by carefulnow; 05-27-2016 at 01:16 AM.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:18 AM
carefulnow
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto One
If you notice, every time he wines about "no power" he has the steering lock in understeer before the apex, and stabbing the throttle, doing just what I said most new track/autocross drivers do. His so called fast lap is driving in a backdooring in oversteer mode (also note he is catching the car, not drifting it. Consistently going over the thresh hold of traction, feels fast but we know it's not.)

Mark
But can you get on a 1 horsepower horse and have it scare you? So you can offer inputs to the horse to get it to turn, but it has to go through its brain. Plus its not consistent, the horse may not react the same way, you have to think through its brain. Take all the computers off, go faster. ****ing horses.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:41 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

I have seen that video or one very similar to it before. The guy is a terrible driver. AH was working overtime to correct his mistakes and he may have been faster without it but if he had driven smoother he would have turned better lap times with it on or off. One of the things I noticed about AH is when you are very smooth and fast it rarely intervenes. It will intervene very heavily if you try to overdrive a corner. One time I was giving a student a ride around the Glen on my street tires. I had forgotten to turn off AH so the car was in full nanny mode. I went into T2 a little too wide with the gas pedal on the floor in 4th gear at about 105 mph and as I got to the apex of the turn I felt the right front wheel pulsing to yaw the car in the direction I was turning the steering wheel. The car didn't slow down just turned in a little better and pulled onto the correct line next to the curbing so I would be on the correct line for the next turn. That let me drive T3 without lifting which if I had been off line would not have been able to do without hitting the guardrail at the exit of T3. All it took was 3 or 4 quick pulses on the right front wheel.

Bill
Old 05-27-2016, 07:09 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I have seen that video or one very similar to it before. The guy is a terrible driver. AH was working overtime to correct his mistakes and he may have been faster without it but if he had driven smoother he would have turned better lap times with it on or off. One of the things I noticed about AH is when you are very smooth and fast it rarely intervenes. It will intervene very heavily if you try to overdrive a corner. One time I was giving a student a ride around the Glen on my street tires. I had forgotten to turn off AH so the car was in full nanny mode. I went into T2 a little too wide with the gas pedal on the floor in 4th gear at about 105 mph and as I got to the apex of the turn I felt the right front wheel pulsing to yaw the car in the direction I was turning the steering wheel. The car didn't slow down just turned in a little better and pulled onto the correct line next to the curbing so I would be on the correct line for the next turn. That let me drive T3 without lifting which if I had been off line would not have been able to do without hitting the guardrail at the exit of T3. All it took was 3 or 4 quick pulses on the right front wheel.

Bill

So do you drive with the nannies on or off?
Old 05-27-2016, 09:49 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Keeping in mind that the C5 A/H is very intrusive (turn it OFF). The C6 is better. Don't know about the C7, have only driven the C7Z and found the track mode has very QUICK! steering and the brakes are PHENOMENAL! Didn't drive it to the max for A/H as it was a friend's car.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:13 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

If you're in a C5 with A/H on, you're slow.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 05-27-2016 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:14 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Now dats de truth!
Old 05-28-2016, 11:10 AM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Csix Zohsix
When I can do this, I'll turn everything off.
Holy smokes that car is a beast! Not to mention damp track, looked like a lot of work.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:49 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

How 'bout Nurburgring Nordschleife in the snow?!?!?!

Old 05-29-2016, 02:59 PM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

On my 2002 C5 z06 AH is very intrusive. Just turn it off. With everything stock, the car doesn't even have enough HP to get you in trouble if you're experienced.

On my C6 Z06/Z07 (No PTM). AH has more tolerance on exit compared to the C5Z but not much more on entry. If you want to be aggressive on entry for whatever reason, expect the AH to grab hold and push the car wide. As long as you know what you expect from your inputs, the car will flow better and feel more fluid with everything off.

I haven't driven a C7Z but did drive my friends Camaro (whatever spec the track model in called) and he let me demo PTM. Unbelievable. I can easily see how that could be faster for most drivers, esp if the cars are built and tuned for it. The sophistication of PTM vs old school TCS/AH is light years.

I suspect future corvettes will be even more dependent on their electronic assistance systems than before.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:13 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Robert R1
I suspect future corvettes will be even more dependent on their electronic assistance systems than before.
I suspect you mean drivers will be more dependent upon the performance management with the more powerful and capable track oriented vehicles if they have never driven without it. As an instructor, I assure you I will not be in the newer vehicles with a driver that is trying no A/H for the first time after having several track days with it ON. I never suggest faster techniques until I see a driver demonstrate countersteer/correction effectively. There is plenty to teach someone new to the track without demonstrating faster. I might suggest a driver of a new model vehicle might want to back it down to 7/10ths and slowly build up the pace when first turning off the A/H. Once you drive several events without it you build much better confidence as well as much better car control.

Last edited by SouthernSon; 05-29-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:34 PM
wtb-z
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Csix Zohsix
When I can do this, I'll turn everything off.
Sure, but I don't see how you will ever be able to develop car control like that with stability control systems on (e.g., pre-PTM Corvettes).

There is plenty to learn intellectually but much of limit handling is just getting used to what it feels like and what reactions are required.

Last edited by wtb-z; 05-29-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:31 PM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This..

Even the C6 I felt was very intrusive. ran my car for a long time with the stock body. It was fun to toss around the corners and catch it. Made the jump to big aero and the limits of the car were great! But your reaction time to correct the slide has to be way more precise and quicker.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:20 PM
insertclevername
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So do you guys find the AH gets in the way in the wet?
Old 06-01-2016, 02:23 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by insertclevername
Last race at VIR was in the wet (no A/H on that car) but I don't do wet for HPDE.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:59 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by insertclevername
If you REALLY want to learn to drive a car, do rain days on cheap street tires with everything off.

I learned in a 99 Z28, on rain days on street tires I would learn more in one day on a wet track than I learned on a dry track in two or three.

Everything that happens in the wet happens in the dry....just at a slower speed.

Get notified of new replies

To No nannies

Old 06-01-2016, 04:10 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Everything that happens in the wet happens in the dry....just at a slower speed.
True....until you hit wet grass and just slide and slide. The last time I drove in the wet was in 2012 at the Glen during a 90 minute open track session. Terrifying fun
Old 06-01-2016, 04:37 PM
stuiephoto
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran with a/h for 2-3 laps when I got the car and haven't used it since. It really is super intrusive if you are pushing the car anywhere near the limit. Like was said before, if you aren't activating a/h, you're maybe 7/10ths.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:30 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

As an update, I just ran Laguna this past Monday again with all nannies turned off and in the first two sessions continuously flirted with my personal best lap times. Third session set two new personal bests, one by over 1.5 seconds. I was looking forward to the afternoon sessions but a slow leak in one of my rear tires ended the day.

The car felt stable and predictable, and the couple of times it was slightly out of shape, it took just a bit of adjustment to bring it back in line.

I just wish I had decided to turn off the nannies sooner.........

Last edited by harrydirty; 06-09-2016 at 07:25 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No nannies