Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No nannies

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 06:27 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Default No nannies

After tracking my '07 c6z for three years with nannies in comp mode, finally tried turning them all off yesterday at Laguna........I feel dumb for not doing it sooner. I realized when I overcooked one corner that recovery was smoother, more intuitive, and less dramatic without the nannies. I assumed that the electronics would save me, but now I realize that all they do is make incidents jerky and puzzling to recover. Mind you, I am not talking about big excursions, just smaller slides and little "oopsies". I also realize that the excessive wear I have noticed on individual pads is probably a by-product of active handling when my driving is less than smooth.

An unexpected bonus of this is now my butt-meter feels more accurate; it was getting confused by AH inputs.

Can't wait for my next track day to re-learn how to drive my car......
Old 05-24-2016, 09:11 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Much better to spar with the track instead of the A/H! The scariest thing in the world for an instructor is seeing a driver fighting against the nannies.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:53 PM
carefulnow
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

When
, I'll turn everything off.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:17 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow! That boy's got some racin' to do!
Old 05-24-2016, 11:28 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

I started in a car with no nannies and got used to it moving around. In the C5 I tried it a couple times with it in comp mode when I go it......couldn't do it, I turn them off.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:26 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Wow, that Kenny Brack video had some serious car control skill demonstrations........interesting to hear the motor spool up when traction was not available to the rear tires.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:34 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Is this you?
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...st-sunday.html
Old 05-25-2016, 08:52 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
I started in a car with no nannies and got used to it moving around. In the C5 I tried it a couple times with it in comp mode when I go it......couldn't do it, I turn them off.
True dat.....

When you have the nannies on you can't do subtle throttle application to stick the rear of the car.. And often you're left at corner exit with no power even though you really could use it to accelerate out and have a much faster exit.

The sooner you turn them off the better and faster you'll be.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:05 AM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

I've been running with Comp mode on to help in case I got in over my head. It made me feel better at least, the first few times out. But I was getting frustrated with issues similar to posted above (left at corner exit with no power, out of balance sometimes). Sounds like it's time to turn it off.

Last edited by aaronc7; 05-25-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:22 AM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

If you'er having trouble getting power on exit of a turn with comp mode on, you'er not unwinding the steering as you apply power, or you are just to heavy with the right foot for the traction conditions available. Going sideways is not fast or good for you tires.

Sorry...

Mark.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:13 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Olitho, if you are asking if that off track excursion at the corkscrew was me, no it was not.

I believe that picture was from Sunday's event, I was there Monday......and my c6z is black, not blue. Fortunately, I was able to stay on the racing surface all day.
The following users liked this post:
Olitho (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 12:13 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Moto One
If you'er having trouble getting power on exit of a turn with comp mode on, you'er not unwinding the steering as you apply power, or you are just to heavy with the right foot for the traction conditions available. Going sideways is not fast or good for you tires.

Sorry...

Mark.
Yeh, so you may want to check out this vid of Danny Popp in his C5 Z06. He beats the brakes off everyone at Optima on a regular basis.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 05-25-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:33 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Yeh, so you may want to check out this vid of Danny Popp in his C5 Z06. He beats the brakes off everyone at Optima on a regular basis.

I have instructed for several years with the group that Danny attends regularly. I have been in several cars with others that think they can mimic the inputs that Danny has mastered and go fast. They can't. They only upset the car in a very negative way. However, there are a couple of others in the group that do come close. Not only does Danny have extraordinary high speed sensing, he can micro manage the milliseconds of suspension response. He will tell you he grew up in a parking lot with cones. He transferred those skills in a scaled up manner to the road course. Seriously, one has to ride with Danny to understand it.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:59 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
I have instructed for several years with the group that Danny attends regularly. I have been in several cars with others that think they can mimic the inputs that Danny has mastered and go fast. They can't. They only upset the car in a very negative way. However, there are a couple of others in the group that do come close. Not only does Danny have extraordinary high speed sensing, he can micro manage the milliseconds of suspension response. He will tell you he grew up in a parking lot with cones. He transferred those skills in a scaled up manner to the road course. Seriously, one has to ride with Danny to understand it.
There are guys who can do it, they are accomplished for sure.

You have no idea where your traction limit is until you go over it a time or two. Tires and traction conditions are constantly changing, if you are running in Comp mode and never activating A/H you are running 7 or 8/10's. I see zero fun or learning in doing that.

In that Z28 it slid and chattered all over the place, if the car wasn't doing that the laps were slow.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:04 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

The active handling modes, at least on the C5, are so intrusive at speed that the car cannot be driven to its full potential. I was not in the room when GM engineers agreed on the tuning spec for active handling, but I have a strong belief that they tuned this for keeping drivers on the street out of trouble. It is not a race tuned system so the moment a driver on track tries to throw the car into a corner using a lot of braking rotation the car gets upset and tries to straighten out. The same mid-corner and on exit when you try to drive with racing level slip angles. The car will start applying brakes and cutting power.

Sure some will say that you want to drive the car fast without getting the AH features activating and that is fast. At the noob level that might be true, but if you are trying to race a C5 system from my personal opinion needs to be thrown out. It is not a Bosch or Motec race grade tuned system. I hear the C7 race mode will actually make an experienced racer faster.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:47 PM
parsonsj
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

C6 Z06: I found Comp Mode comforting for a bit as I was starting out, but the aids became more and more intrusive. Trail-braking and corner exit was where I noticed it the most. The final straw was at Daytona, when the car freaked out on the high banks.

Turning off all electronic aids made the car feel smoother and more predictable.

I've sold my Z06 and bought a Radical SR8 -- with no ABS. So that's the next frontier for me: learning threshold braking.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:29 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BXRduZ3f2E
damn that motor wraps quick

also reminds me of a trend ive noticed at autocross. i always run my fastest times when im running the loosest like him, spining and sliding the rears.
to me i think i F'ed up a run, and every time it is my fastest.

Get notified of new replies

To No nannies

Old 05-25-2016, 04:12 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Olitho
The active handling modes, at least on the C5, are so intrusive at speed that the car cannot be driven to its full potential. ...............
So true. The times I have killed the engine at pit out (clutch pack) and forget to deactivate the A/H upon restart I immediately get reminded at T1!
Old 05-25-2016, 04:47 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

I was looking for C5 track tests on YouTube(not many out there) and came across this.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 05-25-2016 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:34 PM
61X
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Csix Zohsix
When I can do this, I'll turn everything off.
WOW, I think I would rather have a wisdom tooth pulled.

Quick Reply: No nannies