Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Formula One - Great Britain - TV Times (U.S.)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 10:49 AM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Great article by Johansson While I appreciate all the great technical advances that are part of Formula One, I always thought that the reason we watch is the actual racing. I really would like to see F1 take a few steps back, make the cars less complicated and with less down force. While it is very interesting to see all the great technical advances in the cars, I don't think it helps the actual racing.

On a side note I still think it's funny that when Hamilton puts his car on the pole and runs away with the race it is because of his driving talent. When Nico does the same thing it's because he is in a superior car.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:09 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
For *all* the F1 manufacturers to make these systems as user-complex as they are just makes no sense to me.
And another point - Mercedes, in particular, when confronted by all the backlash to these silly power units, loudly invoked a ton of "our road car engineers are *already* putting what we've learned to good use..." yadda yadda. But the same question applies even more on that front. Are they going to present the road car driver with an F1 steering wheel and a smart-phone app...? I'm thinking "no."

Z//
Old 07-19-2016, 12:12 PM
3on8
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't like Nico's personality, nor do I think he has the fortitude to ever be a World Champion, but I won't deny he's a great driver, and I think he's quite smart.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:25 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
Are they going to present the road car driver with an F1 steering wheel and a smart-phone app...? I'm thinking "no."

Z//
Uh, Z, you haven't met the steering wheel of a 2015 Chevy Tahoe! RH of the wheel has nav buttons to a instrument cluster LCD screen that has 5-6 options and at least two layer deep pages. The left side has another set of buttons that I never dug into; plus Bluetooth phone connect/disconnect buttons, AND two "flappy paddles" behind the wheel that I have ZERO idea what they do!

Did I mention ??

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-19-2016, 08:53 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Uh, Z, you haven't met the steering wheel of a 2015 Chevy Tahoe!
My car has a few buttons on the steering wheel, too. But the buttons that the road car makers have there are for "toys" (radio, etc) and things that (a) aren't critical and (b) can often/usually be accomplished in more convention ways. That's a far cry fro the current F1 hand-wringing where they make it sound like the driver needs to be told how far into the reactor the control rods need to go

Here. This explains all your buttons and your "flappy paddles"

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...23458248_A.pdf

Z//
Old 07-19-2016, 09:14 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
My car has a few buttons on the steering wheel, too. But the buttons that the road car makers have there are for "toys" (radio, etc) and things that (a) aren't critical and (b) can often/usually be accomplished in more convention ways. That's a far cry fro the current F1 hand-wringing where they make it sound like the driver needs to be told how far into the reactor the control rods need to go
Yeah, I know, but still....

Here. This explains all your buttons and your "flappy paddles"
Wait. You think I WANT to learn all that stuff???? (BTW, the truck wasn't mine, I just had to figure out how to reset the oil life monitor).

Have a good one,
Mike

Quick Reply: Formula One - Great Britain - TV Times (U.S.)