Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beta Testers Wanted- C7 Z06 Cooling

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 02:07 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Received 852 Likes on 410 Posts
Default Beta Testers Wanted- C7 Z06 Cooling

We've been hard at work developing a tiered cooling system package for the C7 Z06 Corvettes, and documenting our work here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...velopment.html

We've had some good results, and we're now able to run a full session in 95° weather with an A8 Z06 without overheating or going into limp mode. We're moving into production design, but to do this right, we need a few volunteers to help us gather data around the country.

Right now, it's looking like the kit will be available in three stages:

Stage 1- New intercooler system & slightly larger radiator
Stage 2- Stage 1, plus auxiliary radiator and even larger radiator
Stage 3- Stage 2, plus engine oil cooling system

(Note: Specifics of each stage are subject to change.)

We're looking for members with Z06s, both manual and automatic, that would be willing to help us work the bugs out of this kit before it reaches full production. We need experienced drivers that can stress the car on track, and reach the high temperatures we're fixing. In other words, if you haven't ever overheated your Z06, this probably isn't for you.

If you're interested in being a tester, please fill out this short survey. We can't guarantee everyone that applies will be a beta tester. If chosen, we'll offer you discounted parts before they're available to the general public in exchange for your feedback and data.

http://goo.gl/forms/AwkO89RzKH2omQmF3
Old 07-19-2016, 08:49 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Why do you need beta testers when you have a track in your own backyard?
Old 07-19-2016, 10:29 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
Why do you need beta testers when you have a track in your own backyard?
Short answer? We only have one car. We want to know for certain the kit works (and installs) just as well on M7 cars, cars without the aero package, 2016MY cars, etc.

It's an often overlooked challenge to make a complicated solution like this that's easy to assemble and get right. When we've been staring at it for hundreds of hours, it's second nature to us. But we need people that have never seen it before to critique the assembly instructions, things like that.

Jake
Old 07-20-2016, 01:16 AM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Having an extensive history as a software tester back in the day, I need to suggest a test case. 1/2 hr of grid-lock traffic in the desert during summer with the A/C on .
The following users liked this post:
GSpeed (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 08:48 AM
eddie08z06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Submitted
Old 07-20-2016, 08:59 AM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Great! Thanks for all the responses, everyone.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:43 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Most of us worry too much about our temperatures. In discussions with several engine builders and radiator manufactures there was agreement that it’s best to run in the 210 to 220 range. Even 240 is not a problem under the right conditions.

We all know that water boils at 212 degrees so how do we get above that boiling point? First we pressurize the system. We do this with the radiator cap. Every radiator cap has a pressure rating. Each pound of pressure in the cooling system raises the boiling point by 2 to 3 degrees. If you have a radiator cap that allows for 15 lbs. for pressure your coolant won’t boil until it reaches 250 F. If you use a cap rated at 20 psi you raise the boiling point of the coolant to over 270.

Here's an article I wrote about cooling systems last year.

Richard Newton
The following users liked this post:
Flying24 (07-22-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 01:20 PM
chevyfanatic
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default you guys are amazing !

Originally Posted by GSpeed

We've been hard at work developing a tiered cooling system package for the C7 Z06 Corvettes, and documenting our work here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...velopment.html

We've had some good results, and we're now able to run a full session in 95° weather with an A8 Z06 without overheating or going into limp mode. We're moving into production design, but to do this right, we need a few volunteers to help us gather data around the country.

Right now, it's looking like the kit will be available in three stages:

Stage 1- New intercooler system & slightly larger radiator
Stage 2- Stage 1, plus auxiliary radiator and even larger radiator
Stage 3- Stage 2, plus engine oil cooling system

(Note: Specifics of each stage are subject to change.)

We're looking for members with Z06s, both manual and automatic, that would be willing to help us work the bugs out of this kit before it reaches full production. We need experienced drivers that can stress the car on track, and reach the high temperatures we're fixing. In other words, if you haven't ever overheated your Z06, this probably isn't for you.

If you're interested in being a tester, please fill out this short survey. We can't guarantee everyone that applies will be a beta tester. If chosen, we'll offer you discounted parts before they're available to the general public in exchange for your feedback and data.

http://goo.gl/forms/AwkO89RzKH2omQmF3
thanks for all the HARD WORK on this !
Old 07-21-2016, 04:31 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I would think you need a solid advanced driver or instructor running consistent very fast laps in Florida, Texas or California. Currently having heat problems and does multiple track days in back to back sessions.

Couple of recommendations.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-weekend.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...imes-here.html
Old 07-22-2016, 01:41 PM
Flying24
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
Most of us worry too much about our temperatures. In discussions with several engine builders and radiator manufactures there was agreement that it’s best to run in the 210 to 220 range. Even 240 is not a problem under the right conditions.

We all know that water boils at 212 degrees so how do we get above that boiling point? First we pressurize the system. We do this with the radiator cap. Every radiator cap has a pressure rating. Each pound of pressure in the cooling system raises the boiling point by 2 to 3 degrees. If you have a radiator cap that allows for 15 lbs. for pressure your coolant won’t boil until it reaches 250 F. If you use a cap rated at 20 psi you raise the boiling point of the coolant to over 270.

Here's an article I wrote about cooling systems last year.

Richard Newton
Good read, I see where you state:
"You always want to start with distilled water. Don’t even think about anything else. This is especially critical if you have an aluminum radiator"
I have a dewitt and they recommend 50/50 anti freeze, because of corrosion issues. But is there something to added to distilled water for a corrosion inhibitor ?
I would like to switch if possible I run on the hot side and prefer not to.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:38 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying24
Good read, I see where you state:
"You always want to start with distilled water. Don’t even think about anything else. This is especially critical if you have an aluminum radiator"
I have a dewitt and they recommend 50/50 anti freeze, because of corrosion issues. But is there something to added to distilled water for a corrosion inhibitor ?
I would like to switch if possible I run on the hot side and prefer not to.
You can purchase several brands of corrosion inhibitors along with water pump lubricants to add to soft water in a cooling system. Most corrosion inhibitors don't work well with hard water so you need soft water which can be distilled or demineralized water. Just do a search on the web. Walmart pops up right away.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Beta Testers Wanted- C7 Z06 Cooling

Quick Reply: Beta Testers Wanted- C7 Z06 Cooling