Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooler placement for optimal performace

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 06:18 PM
camcam
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cooler placement for optimal performace

This is not a Corvette specific question, just in general. Trying to figure out the pros and cons of cooler placement.

What would be the better setup for cooling:

1) smaller cooler that fits perfectly in a grill opening in front of the car, is 100% exposed to direct air.

2) bigger cooler but further back in the nose of the car, up against near the radiator. Due to the size and shape, half of it is directly behind part of the bumper and does not fit perfectly in the opening.

Basically I'm trying to figure out if airflow is more important than sheer size. The first option is completely exposed and right in front so gets maximum coverage. The second option, while bigger, sits further back and also gets covered partially by the bumper and is not completely exposed.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:03 AM
sccaGT1racer
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

I have found from my years of racing that proper ducting and sealing of the cooler is very important for the cooler to work.

Quick Reply: Cooler placement for optimal performace