Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plyboard splitter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 04:58 PM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Hi Volts Z06
Absolutely. WHEN you have a bad off, the splitter is going to rip off and take the radiator support (and radiator) with it.
I don't disagree, but I mean, it's going to do that anyways if the splitter gets smashed into the radiator support. Those supports aren't exactly known for holding up to curbs and driveways.

You could use some sort of mounting system that would rip off before the radiator support would.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:01 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a flipped radiator to feed the chimney that exits my waterfall hood. That being said, I fabricated a new bracket that's stronger and higher that the stock piece. Despite that I still won't tie the splitter into it. Ideally you want the splitter to come off and you run over it. I'll try to find some pictures of some of my previous "good ideas" and the resulting damage.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:07 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Almost done. Made some clevii today to mount to the splitter and the frame. Rods and rod ends are from Speedway Motors.
The following users liked this post:
rfn026 (08-21-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 09:20 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Very nice work Mark.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:44 AM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

I have a flipped radiator to feed the chimney that exits my waterfall hood. That being said, I fabricated a new bracket that's stronger and higher that the stock piece. Despite that I still won't tie the splitter into it. Ideally you want the splitter to come off and you run over it. I'll try to find some pictures of some of my previous "good ideas" and the resulting damage.
Yea, eventually I'm going to flip my radiator, I just haven't gotten to that point yet. Need a custom intake first.

I'm mulling over using cables mounted to the bumper support to pull the splitter up, that way it can flex up to go over things. Might use some shear bolts to hold the cables so I can make sure they don't rip anything out.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:15 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

I'm using a pair of ~1/16" aircraft cables to secure the F of mine(BMW E36) to the bumper. It's mounted pretty solidly to the F cross member at the rear. I can stand on it, but it can still flex upward a little with contact.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:03 PM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Originally Posted by Nowanker
I'm using a pair of ~1/16" aircraft cables to secure the F of mine(BMW E36) to the bumper. It's mounted pretty solidly to the F cross member at the rear. I can stand on it, but it can still flex upward a little with contact.
That more or less exactly what I'm trying to pull off. That way I can run over things without causing any permanent damage, but the splitter won't flex downwards.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:20 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Almost finished. I made brackets so I could use the nuts sticking out of the fender. Not ideal, but I'll have it attached at the splitter so it'll rip off long before it damages the fender. The fender there is quite strong and it's only holding the splitter near the wheels where there is very little force anyway. Also mounting the splitter from the bottom with titanium plates for long wear and badass sparks!
Old 08-16-2016, 08:54 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Just make sure those "badass sparks" don't get you black flagged!

Great thread,
Ed
Old 08-17-2016, 07:20 AM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
Almost finished. I made brackets so I could use the nuts sticking out of the fender. Not ideal, but I'll have it attached at the splitter so it'll rip off long before it damages the fender. The fender there is quite strong and it's only holding the splitter near the wheels where there is very little force anyway. Also mounting the splitter from the bottom with titanium plates for long wear and badass sparks!
Mark- why didn't you turn your bracket 90 degrees counterclockwise and use the nutserts in the frame rail instead of those little studs that are only attached to the fiberglass inner fender?
Old 08-17-2016, 10:21 AM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Mark- why didn't you turn your bracket 90 degrees counterclockwise and use the nutserts in the frame rail instead of those little studs that are only attached to the fiberglass inner fender?
There's not a great angle from the frame down to the wheel side of the splitter. The direct path is right through the brake duct. To get over the brake duct to the outside of the splitter I either need to make a bracket to that goes real high to get a less-steep angle on the rod support, or a strong bracket that comes straight out from the frame 5 or 6 inches. Both were more work than I felt like doing at the moment since I'm loading up for WGI on Sunday. I'll monitor everything close while I'm testing and I can make changes when I get back if needed.

Last edited by StreetSpeed; 08-17-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:07 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
There's not a great angle from the frame down to the wheel side of the splitter. The direct path is right through the brake duct. To get over the brake duct to the outside of the splitter I either need to make a bracket to that goes real high to get a less-steep angle on the rod support, or a strong bracket that comes straight out from the frame 5 or 6 inches. Both were more work than I felt like doing at the moment since I'm loading up for WGI on Sunday. I'll monitor everything close while I'm testing and I can make changes when I get back if needed.
Yeah... I keep forgetting how much room the stock brake ducts take up. I've got a hybrid setup so it's less of a problem. Are you coming to the Glen with us on the 29-30?
Old 08-17-2016, 10:24 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Yeah... I keep forgetting how much room the stock brake ducts take up. I've got a hybrid setup so it's less of a problem. Are you coming to the Glen with us on the 29-30?

Negative. I'll be there this coming Monday and Tuesday with Audi. If I'm not fast enough (or car is still not running well) I'll squeeze in a day with Kojote or Chin before Nationals.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:46 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Received 852 Likes on 410 Posts

Sig check! Shoulda mailed you a splitter with the studs, lol. We made the one on Marks car you pictured.

Tegris, alumilite, are all great, but they lack stiffness, and cost too much compared to a properly spec'ed out plywood. Carbon is another option, but once you rip one off, you won't want to spend that money again.

"Keeping You on Track!"
http://www.gspeed.com
877-512-5180

Instagram_Facebook_YouTube

GSpeed C7Z Cooling Development

2014 NASA Texas TT1 Champion
2015 NASA Texas ST1 Champion
2018 NASA TTU & TT3 National Champions
2019 NASA ST2 National Champion
2019 NASA Texas TT2 Champion
2020 SCCA Majors COTA GT2 pole sitter
2020 SCCA Trans Am Road Atlanta SGT Winner
2022 NASA National Champion ST2
2023 NASA National Champion ST2
2023 NASA National Champion TT2
Old 08-22-2016, 02:53 PM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Originally Posted by GSpeed
Sig check! Shoulda mailed you a splitter with the studs, lol. We made the one on Marks car you pictured.

Tegris, alumilite, are all great, but they lack stiffness, and cost too much compared to a properly spec'ed out plywood. Carbon is another option, but once you rip one off, you won't want to spend that money again.
That's more or less what I've found out. Once I get my template made a new splitter costs me all of $40.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:58 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

That's what I've been saying!!!!
The following users liked this post:
GSpeed (08-22-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 02:15 PM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Do you guys have any documentation on how you made the one for Mark? I've got the basic design of mine done, I'm just dicking around with the front mounting points right now and it's being a PITA.

Get notified of new replies

To Plyboard splitter?

Old 09-01-2016, 11:37 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

One more vote for plywood and mounts that can flex upward....

Last edited by LateBreak; 09-01-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:02 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Originally Posted by LateBreak
One more vote for plywood and mounts that can flex upward....

Matt I didn't realize your radiator was lying perfectly flat. Never seen one tilted forward that far. I assumed the air would need to hit it more perpendicular to the surface, but obviously it's working for you.

In other news I got my car to WGI today and got to experience the new plywood splitter. Works great - had to add another 2 degrees of wing in the rear to balance out.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:37 AM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Great design Latebreak. Basically a hinge but the whole assembly works to create the chimney for the hood extractor. That's my philosophy... let the fascia flex upward in a bad off... it will recover. Nice work.

Quick Reply: Plyboard splitter?