Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hawk vs Raybestos pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 04:27 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

You liked the PFC 11's? After years of loving 01's, I did one weekend on the 11's and hated them (stupid me I was actually excited to try the new and improved compound). No where near the initial bite, significant torque rise, and no where near the longevity. I even attribute my first off-track excursion EVER on those 11's.

I called PFC to complain and found they still had some 01's in stock so I bought a few sets. Unfortunately a month later when I finally pulled the 11's, I found one was separating from its backing plate (I would have demanded a replacement).

So is there an ST equivalent to the 01's at a cost savings?

Last edited by Rx7Rob; 11-07-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:32 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Prob ST-41s. I think they are a bit cheaper than the 01s wherever you look.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:41 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have never used the 01s. I like the idea of not having tremendous initial bite to try and prevent the anti locks triggering and found the PFC 11s to be easily modulated. OTOH as you have found, they don't last as long as I would have expected.

As a side note, using the KNS/DBA rotors (which are significantly different than stock in design), pad taper has been a minimal issue compared to using a stock style rotor.

Last edited by Soloontario; 08-23-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:20 AM
Soloontario
Pro

Just checked the wear and rotors after a weekend of new ST43 and DBA rotors. Very impressed. Good wear of pads with virtually no taper. I attribute the lack of taper due to the design of the DBA rotor which is quite different than stock.

The DBA rotors are also sig. heavier than stock which may explain some of the better performance even if they are only stock sizes.

BTW the calipers are stock C5Z with no sign of spread that I can detect.

I know this is not as good as a BBK set up but it sure is better than stock and I haven't cracked a rotor all season

Last edited by Soloontario; 08-29-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:20 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Soloontario
Just checked the wear and rotors after a weekend of new ST43 and DBA rotors. Very impressed. Good wear of pads with virtually no taper. I attribute the lack of taper due to the design of the DBA rotor which is quite different than stock.

The DBA rotors are also sig. heavier than stock which may explain some of the better performance even if they are only stock sizes.

BTW the calipers are stock C5Z with no sign of spread that I can detect.

I know this is not as good as a BBK set up but it sure is better than stock and I haven't cracked a rotor all season

Which DBA rotor did you try?
Old 08-29-2016, 09:45 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Which DBA rotor did you try?
I have used the DBA 4000 as well as the KNS blanks. Both seem to significantly outlast the Napa specials.

Can't bring myself to spend the money on floating 2 piece rotors although I can totally understand how they could work better.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:25 PM
bingo1105
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a quick bump to my own thread... I ended up putting ST-43 pads on all four corners and running them for a weekend at Texas World Speedway. In short, the pads performed really well... I have no complaints and will buy them again.

I will say, however, that the pedal modulation issue is more prevalent than I expected. I got into ABS really easily, and at one point over the weekend I applied too much brake coming into a corner that just needed a small amount of brake to set the car and turn in. I previously ran Hawk DTC-70's and DTC-60's front and rear, so if you're used to that setup, you need to give yourself a few sessions to adjust to the Raybestos pads. Once I got a little smoother on my brake inputs all was well, and in the end I liked how they felt.

They also make more noise than the Hawk and Carbotec pads I've run previously. I don't really care, but it's not a pad I'd want to run on the street. They make a fair amount of noise even after being fully bedded.

As far as rotor wear goes, I'm not sure I can offer much guidance. My rotors were already heat checked and it seemed like maybe they were slightly more grooved at the end of the weekend, but I would have expected the same from any other pad.

What's really good is that they never even hinted at being over-temp on 200 treadwear tires. My tires would get greasy before the pads ever complained. They were strong and consistent throughout the weekend, and I never had any doubt that they would stop me from 130+ MPH.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:38 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Odd, I bought my Camaro with DTC70s and switched to ST43 and all of a sudden I wasn't flat spotting tires. Mine made noise when placed on a Hawk bedded rotor for a bit before bedding in and shutting up. That and cold weather is the only time I've heard noise from the brakes.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:32 AM
Soloontario
Pro

Originally Posted by bingo1105
Just a quick bump to my own thread... I ended up putting ST-43 pads on all four corners and running them for a weekend at Texas World Speedway. In short, the pads performed really well... I have no complaints and will buy them again.

I will say, however, that the pedal modulation issue is more prevalent than I expected. I got into ABS really easily, and at one point over the weekend I applied too much brake coming into a corner that just needed a small amount of brake to set the car and turn in. I previously ran Hawk DTC-70's and DTC-60's front and rear, so if you're used to that setup, you need to give yourself a few sessions to adjust to the Raybestos pads. Once I got a little smoother on my brake inputs all was well, and in the end I liked how they felt.

Did you feel it was the fronts locking up too easily or the rears?
Old 09-15-2016, 09:32 AM
bingo1105
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Soloontario
Did you feel it was the fronts locking up too easily or the rears?
The brake balance front to rear felt normal to me. I just needed a lighter touch on the brake pedal if I wasn't asking for maximum braking force.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:25 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Thought I'd kick this alive again rather than start a new thread since its been comparing different compounds.

I now have a few sets of PFC01's (stock calipers) so I'm set on the fronts for next season. I've been running PFC99's in the back and they have lasted a looooonng time but now need to be replaced (and no longer made). Anyone know the equivalent Raybestos to the 99?

I found a phone number for Raybestos motorsports dept but they said Summit Racing now handles their tech support. I thought that sounded pretty weird but I called Summit and was told its not the case and they don't even carry the pads for my car.

Anyone have a contact at Raybestos?
Old 11-07-2016, 04:29 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Rx7Rob
Thought I'd kick this alive again rather than start a new thread since its been comparing different compounds.

I now have a few sets of PFC01's (stock calipers) so I'm set on the fronts for next season. I've been running PFC99's in the back and they have lasted a looooonng time but now need to be replaced (and no longer made). Anyone know the equivalent Raybestos to the 99?

I found a phone number for Raybestos motorsports dept but they said Summit Racing now handles their tech support. I thought that sounded pretty weird but I called Summit and was told its not the case and they don't even carry the pads for my car.

Anyone have a contact at Raybestos?

Call Tim at Porterfield brakes, I bet he knows.

Quick Reply: Hawk vs Raybestos pads