Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

underbody Aero

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 02:08 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts
Default underbody Aero

saw these posted on facebook, but no info.
im assuming its a C6 based on the difuser?
anyone have any info or thoughts?

Old 08-18-2016, 04:05 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Try PM'ing forum member Shaka - I'm pretty sure he will know the details of that build.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:06 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Wow, I have no idea how functional that diffuser and underbelly are but damn, that looks awesome. Would love something like this for a C5....wonder how hot the rear end would get if sealed off from air flow.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:40 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
Try PM'ing forum member Shaka - I'm pretty sure he will know the details of that build.
PMed him and he responded on FB.

Total weight of diffuser and feeder system was 22 lbs. Carbon fiber diffuser weighs 7 lbs. If the ride height is 3" and the C6 Daytona APR wing is set at 12' incidence and the C6 spoiler is in place, the load increase is 280 lbs at the axle at 130mph with a massive drag de-crease. Run down tests from 150mph verified. Suction peak is at the ARB or sway bar so the center of lift migrates toward the cg at speed. The wing augments diffuser efficiency and by so doing reduces drag under the wing. The ramp chord is 17' incidence. Total downforce at rear was 520.(load censors) Wing incidence is track specific. The car had 560 hp at the rear wheels with 4:10 gears. Ride height and droop is controlled with coil/overs and engine and exhaust was fenced down the center. See cover over the headers. Side feeder and ramps have the same area as an Enzo Ferrari. Coil/overs saved 10 lbs total and removal of stock exhaust saved 30lbs. Central muffler was for street. Profile or section math and load censor reading was 20% optimistic because of too may variables. Total cost of construction including axle back exhaust( doesn't include computer work and coil/overs) for two cars was over $12 000. The street version is purely for bling and costs a whole lot less. Lap times is the true measure and they were lower at all the south eastern tracks. This was 10 years ago so I can't remember too much. The C7 diffuser has to stick way out back to achieve the same area as the C6.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:48 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 734 Likes on 544 Posts

Seen a few posts over the years about "how I'm building/going to build my own custom aero undertray and diffuser". They all seem to fade out, probably never past the planning stage. This is the first one I've seen completed. Damn that looks excellent!

Now I'll need to start working on one of my own...
Old 08-18-2016, 08:47 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

I don't think it's worth it for a DE or even a TT guy, unless it's a TTU car.

Unless you have tons of data on the car prior to install...useless, you'll chase your tail.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 08-18-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:27 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A minor but annoying downside is being able to easily access the jack points. Take that into consideration in the build process. You may also want to have an open area under the differential carrier to be able to use that as a jack point.

Jim
Old 08-21-2016, 10:18 AM
LLINV
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Best pictures I have at the moment but it has a full aero pan front to back

Old 08-22-2016, 08:42 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

The plastic diffuser is junk. It's a "waxer" piece that is going to separate way before the end of the diffuser, and in particular the flow isn't going to stay attached going around the rear tire. The other channel is better, it will separate about half way back when surface angle gets too great..

It would be better to make your own part than to try to use that existing piece of plastic.

Get notified of new replies

To underbody Aero

Quick Reply: underbody Aero