Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sittin in the cheap seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 10:51 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts
Default sittin in the cheap seats

looking for suggestions for cheap fixed race seats. budget of $500 or so for the pair
looking for some that will work in a C6Z

a quick search on ebay came up with a couple of hits.

(not sure if Ebay links are allowed here?)

some "NRG" brand ive never heard of

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161314364593?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
and also some Bride seats

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRIDE-VIOS-3...ZWVm1z&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRIDE-ZETA-I...FWIu5G&vxp=mtr

universal

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-JD...xXtJAu&vxp=mtr

Recaro

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RECARO-SPG-P...ZXlw7b&vxp=mtr

anyone have any suggestions on cheap race seats (going in dedicated track/HPDE car)?

or know if any of these would work in the C6?
Old 08-21-2016, 12:14 AM
Ludeaem
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Cheap and race seats don't go together. Be careful with any of these cheaper options as they can be a safety concern in an accident. Also be careful because there are a TON of knock off seats on the market so if it seems too good to be true, it most likely is.

My suggestion is to get one good seat (Corbeau, Sparco, Recaro)for yourself. It won't be symmetric but you'll be better off in the end. That is what I'm doing since I'm on a budget. Keep your eyes peeled in the for sale section and craiglist. Good luck.

Last edited by Ludeaem; 08-21-2016 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:57 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Strano has used the NRG seats and I think sells them.

Don't skimp on seats, you'll regret it.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:03 AM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

i appreciate the advice. ive had a set of cheap race seats in the current race car and they have done me well for more years than i care to count. however they were adjustable and i want fixed this time with even higher side bolsters.

great to hear that strano uses/sells the NRGs, they were actually the favorite that i found. now that i think of it i think someone recomended the NRGs over on the fraxx forum.

anything i need to be look for to making sure they fit in a vette? ive read getting after market seats to fit can be tricky. i assume because of tunnel to door width?
and of course all race/aftermarket seats struggle to sit low enough. thats one thing i like about most of these, they had very low butt areas.

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 08-21-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:09 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
i appreciate the advice. ive had a set of cheap race seats in the current race car and they have done me well for more years than i care to count. however they were adjustable and i want fixed this time with even higher side bolsters.

great to hear that strano uses/sells the NRGs, they were actually the favorite that i found. now that i think of it i think someone recomended the NRGs over on the fraxx forum.

anything i need to be look for to making sure they fit in a vette? ive read getting after market seats to fit can be tricky. i assume because of tunnel to door width?
and of course all race/aftermarket seats struggle to sit low enough. thats one thing i like about most of these, they had very low butt areas.
I put Kirkey Intermediate road race seats in my car. You also have to watch out for where the shoulder "ear" and the door meet. I took a big Crescent wrench and bent my ear in to clear the door on the 18 inch Kirkey.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:15 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

thanks, just looked those up. looks like with cover they are $450ish each.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:31 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

thanks, just looked those up. looks like with cover they are $450ish each.
I bought both mine used, hunt around...you can find them.

I took a Planted mount and bolted the seat directly to it in the rear and used a 2x3 piece of aluminum angle across the front. These seats do require a back brace.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:09 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

not sure im interested in the back brace. i bet its solid though.
how thick would us say the butt pad is?

the aluminum definatly has some advatages though, ie like you mentioned, bending it for fit, and drilling threw/bolting to it.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:13 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

the aluminum definatly has some advatages though, ie like you mentioned, bending it for fit, and drilling threw/bolting to it.
The metal seat requires a back brace, many different ones out there...mine is homemade.

You can put padding wherever you want in the seat. The pad on the cover isnt very thick, I only get uncomfortable on 1 hour or more trips.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 08-21-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:41 AM
work_truck
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

Bimarco sells actual FIA cert seats within your budget

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bimarco-Daka...BV5F51&vxp=mtr

The following users liked this post:
STANG KILLA SS (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 01:51 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

i would just get used Sparco EVOs and call it a day

i didnt do both seat, just the driver, mine is the biggest EVO u can fit int the Vette EVO II PLUS, i have 38 inch waste ( 6' 195# )and its perfect for me with little room ( in case i gain weight haha )

and seats belts and airbags work with this setup for street driving so no need to swap seats ( I hate stock seats with passion )

here is quick pics for reference

Old 08-22-2016, 02:32 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

bracket ( sparco, with sliders which i did not install cuzz it made the seat to high )

Old 08-22-2016, 03:22 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Originally Posted by work_truck
Bimarco sells actual FIA cert seats within your budget

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bimarco-Daka...BV5F51&vxp=mtr

thanks! looks like those are about $800 shipped for a pair. hadnt seen those, thanks!
Old 08-22-2016, 03:36 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

how wide is the butt pad on that sparco Mukak?
i measured my hips and they are 17"
im 5'10 200lbs 36" waist, and also worried about "future expansion"
Old 08-22-2016, 09:37 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I just put the NRG's in my '99. They should fit in a C6 as well. They are not FIA approved, but I didn't plan on racing the car, just HPDE's.
There isn't alot of adjustment capability in the seats. Even reclined all the way is too upright for me. There was alot of space betw my low back and the seat. I put some spacers under the front and we'll see how it feels next time.
It is not convenient adjusting the seats. They basically have to come out to be adjusted, but once they're set it shouldn't be an issue.
The site that sells the NRG's also sells the mounting brackets/seat rails. You will be disappointed if you expect the seat to line up with the mounting holes. I only had to drill a couple of holes and I made them fit.
I liked the low price, basically getting two seats for the price of one FIA seat. Wearing full harnesses and a HANS was my immediate objective. If my seat interferes with my driving at the next event, I will probably sell one of them and leave one NRG for my passenger. I suspect a Sparco is more comfortable.
STANG KILLA SS (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 04:25 PM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

In my C5 I installed Corbeau's. FX1 Pro for the driver (more narrow), and FX1 passenger (standard width). The FX1 Pro fit w/o too many problems, the wider FX1 was a pita. I believe I paid $320 for the FX1 Pro from soloracer.com Overall pretty comfy, could use a bit more lumbar support for long trips, but not a big deal.

I cut the rear mounting pedestals off the bottom to get the rear of the seat lower. (side mounted). I'm pretty happy with the amount of recline I have in the seat.

Mine are on sliders though given the limited room, there's not much adjustment. Removing the sliders would gain some head room, which is going to be limited if you're tall.

I'd suggest walking around the paddock and find another vette owner with race seats. I'm sure they'll be happy to let you take a test sit and discuss how they did their install.

and final thought... even with budget seats, this won't be a cheap affair once you factor in seat mounts and a harness anchoring system. (I used Marrad Industry seat brackets which integrate harness mounts).

It's kinda long but I did a review/install video on the Corbeau's and Marrad seat brackets and my harnesses.
STANG KILLA SS (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 04:40 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C5inWV
I just put the NRG's in my '99. They should fit in a C6 as well. They are not FIA approved, but I didn't plan on racing the car, just HPDE's.
There isn't alot of adjustment capability in the seats. Even reclined all the way is too upright for me. There was alot of space betw my low back and the seat. I put some spacers under the front and we'll see how it feels next time.
It is not convenient adjusting the seats. They basically have to come out to be adjusted, but once they're set it shouldn't be an issue.
The site that sells the NRG's also sells the mounting brackets/seat rails. You will be disappointed if you expect the seat to line up with the mounting holes. I only had to drill a couple of holes and I made them fit.
I liked the low price, basically getting two seats for the price of one FIA seat. Wearing full harnesses and a HANS was my immediate objective. If my seat interferes with my driving at the next event, I will probably sell one of them and leave one NRG for my passenger. I suspect a Sparco is more comfortable.

which NRGs did you put in? they have several models.

also do you mind me asking your waste size/hip width?

im a 36 waste and 17" wide hips. most of the seats above are in the 13" to 15" hip width. so i was curious how you fit in your NRGs and what model.

only the "Recaros" above have the widest hip room at 17"

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 08-23-2016 at 04:41 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To sittin in the cheap seats

Old 08-23-2016, 05:21 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

I know that "cheap" doesn't ring well with many, but I had these Corbeaus on my last track car and put 3 years worth of tracking on them and now the new owner is tracking with them. Great for taller drivers too. I had to put a small butt pad to lift me up a little but I shared the car with one of my kids that was 6'3" and they fit his head/shoulder area perfect.

http://corbeau.com/forza-sport.html

My Vette came with Corbeau A4's and I'm not loving them....for the track or the street. Looking to get back to a fixed back seat soon.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:34 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TrackAire
I know that "cheap" doesn't ring well with many, but I had these Corbeaus on my last track car and put 3 years worth of tracking on them and now the new owner is tracking with them. Great for taller drivers too. I had to put a small butt pad to lift me up a little but I shared the car with one of my kids that was 6'3" and they fit his head/shoulder area perfect.

http://corbeau.com/forza-sport.html

My Vette came with Corbeau A4's and I'm not loving them....for the track or the street. Looking to get back to a fixed back seat soon.
thanks, i like that they list up to 38" waste, most of the ebay ones above max out at 34"

its looking like this may come down to what my *** will fit in, vs price and looks.

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 08-23-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:07 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

thanks, i like that they list up to 38" waste, most of the ebay ones above max out at 34"

its looking like this may come down to what my *** will fit in, vs price and looks.
My kid is 6'3" and weighs over 250 lbs and had no problem fitting in the seat. Here is what I found out about racing seats....if they are comfortable and easy to get into then they are too big. They need to be very snug and slightly uncomfortable but after a few laps your body conforms and they feel great with much support. Since this is a track car, daily driving comfort and entry and exiting are not a top priority.

Good luck with your search!!

Quick Reply: sittin in the cheap seats