Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter storage for tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 02:10 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Winter storage for tires

I live in Alberta, Canada and the winters can get pretty harsh here. Typically we store our Corvettes from around October to March of each year - some in heated garages and others in non-heated garages. The garage attached to my house is not heated, but I could pay about $50-$100/month to have it stored in a heated garage elsewhere, if there's a benefit - i.e. if leaving the C7 Z51 OEM tires in the non-heated garage will reduce their performance come Spring.

Even though a non-heated garage doesn't get as cold as it does outdoors, at the coldest it still gets around -10 to -15 F inside the garage for at least a few weeks during that winter period. I know the tires won't crack as long as the car is stationery in the cold, but my question is whether the freeze and thaw over the months would make them any less grippy next summer. If so then I'll probably look at storing it elsewhere this winter.

Last edited by Achmed; 08-22-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:35 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Achmed
I live in Alberta, Canada and the winters can get pretty harsh here. Typically we store our Corvettes from around October to March of each year - some in heated garages and others in non-heated garages. The garage attached to my house is not heated, but I could pay about $50-$100/month to have it stored in a heated garage elsewhere, if there's a benefit - i.e. if leaving the C7 Z51 OEM tires in the non-heated garage will reduce their performance come Spring.

Even though a non-heated garage doesn't get as cold as it does outdoors, at the coldest it still gets around -10 to -15 F inside the garage for at least a few weeks during that winter period. I know the tires won't crack as long as the car is stationery in the cold, but my question is whether the freeze and thaw over the months would make them any less grippy next summer. If so then I'll probably look at storing it elsewhere this winter.
Does not sound ideal, at the least put it on stands so the tires are off the ground. Those cycles with weight of the car on the tires will probably do something bad to them.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:32 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

If you can't put it on stands, pump the tires up to 50#

Get notified of new replies

To Winter storage for tires

Quick Reply: Winter storage for tires