Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New GSpeed bolt in C5/C6 Tilton Master cylinder setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 04:22 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Received 852 Likes on 410 Posts
Default New GSpeed bolt in C5/C6 Tilton Master cylinder setup

For years, there has been a need for a real race car master cylinder setup. In the past, we have retrofitted floor mount pedals ( lots of fab, and driver position must change) or hanging pedals ( again, lots of fab, and need for dash bracing that not all have)

We recently were approached to build another floor mount pedal assembly, and while the customer was perfectly happy paying the 6500$+ price tag, it didnt make business sense to us.

Enter our OEM replacement master cylinder setup. Using the stock brake pedal assembly, and stock mounting points, this system is literally bolt up, build lines, attach bias ****, and go racing.

Its designed to work with racecars and high performance street and track cars.
  • Saves 2lbs over stock
  • Nearly unlimited master cylinder sizes
  • Uses Tilton Pivot master cylinder with factory adjusted bleed port
  • OEM bolt in, no modifications necessary
  • pedal rod adjustable to change pedal height
  • booster assembly no longer needed
  • fully bias adjustable from inside cockpit (location and brand up to end user. Note: Bias adjustment not possible with OEM ABS system due to factory plumbing layout)
  • Integrated reservoir assembly, includes clutch reservoir as well
  • Adjustable pedal ratios (4.7:1, 5.5:1, 6.2:1) enable the brake pedal to be tuned to driver preference without having to change master cylinder bore size.
  • Sealed bearings used throughout.

Currently in production. Price TBD, but expected 3k$ +/- fully loaded with masters, reservoir, mounts and balance bar assembly.

Please call or email to place an order.

"Keeping You on Track!"
http://www.gspeed.com
877-512-5180

Instagram_Facebook_YouTube

GSpeed C7Z Cooling Development

2014 NASA Texas TT1 Champion
2015 NASA Texas ST1 Champion
2018 NASA TTU & TT3 National Champions
2019 NASA ST2 National Champion
2019 NASA Texas TT2 Champion
2020 SCCA Majors COTA GT2 pole sitter
2020 SCCA Trans Am Road Atlanta SGT Winner
2022 NASA National Champion ST2
2023 NASA National Champion ST2
2023 NASA National Champion TT2

Last edited by GSpeed; 08-25-2016 at 11:49 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GSpeed:
Captain Buddha (09-01-2016), Operations (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 11:10 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had a similar idea for years, but to use the factory booster. Too many projects and just never took off with it. Anyway, it takes a lot to impress me and this is impressive. Well done!
The following users liked this post:
GSpeed (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 11:52 AM
93ASP
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting design - definitely would be much easier to update to dual master cylinders this way than fabricating a pedal box. I wasn't aware that Tilton master cylinders were compatible with abs...
Old 08-25-2016, 11:56 AM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by 93ASP
Interesting design - definitely would be much easier to update to dual master cylinders this way than fabricating a pedal box. I wasn't aware that Tilton master cylinders were compatible with abs...
They can be compatible, if used appropriately. When used with an OEM ABS system, you'll have to use two identical master cylinders, and set the bias bar permanently at 50%. The OEM master cylinder is diagonally paired (LF & RR on one circuit, RF & LR on the other), and you'd be emulating that same plumbing circuit with these manual cylinders.

You would still get the benefits of removing the vacuum booster and ability to change pedal & hydraulic ratios, though. Once you move to an aftermarket ABS system (Bosch M4, etc) you'd be able to change master diameters to match caliper & rotor upgrades, adjust bias from the cockpit, etc.

Jake
Old 08-25-2016, 03:57 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

Do you have a installed picture?
Old 08-25-2016, 04:01 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by c5racr1
Do you have a installed picture?
Not yet, the first few are in production still. We'll update this thread once we have installed pictures of the finished product.

This was one of those fun projects where the customer says, "Hey, I want to run dual master cylinders, but I don't want to do overhung pedals or floor-mounted pedals since I'm tall. Figure it out."

First couple of kits are already spoken for, but there's more in the pipeline.

Jake
Old 08-25-2016, 04:11 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

I feel his pain. 6'4" in a vette. I'm interested
Old 09-01-2016, 03:08 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GSpeed
They can be compatible, if used appropriately. When used with an OEM ABS system, you'll have to use two identical master cylinders, and set the bias bar permanently at 50%. The OEM master cylinder is diagonally paired (LF & RR on one circuit, RF & LR on the other), and you'd be emulating that same plumbing circuit with these manual cylinders.

Jake
Hi Jake,

This is not correct on a C5, I am not sure about C6 but i assume the same. The C5 OEM master is front and rear circuits, not cross car like most.

I found this thread because my rear circuit failed last weekend in qualifying and i am wanting an improved replacement...please get these on the shelf and you have a customer!
Old 09-01-2016, 03:15 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
Hi Jake,

This is not correct on a C5, I am not sure about C6 but i assume the same. The C5 OEM master is front and rear circuits, not cross car like most.

I found this thread because my rear circuit failed last weekend in qualifying and i am wanting an improved replacement...please get these on the shelf and you have a customer!
Oh hey, that's awesome! We should have parts in hand by the middle of the month. We'll keep this thread updated as things progress.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:22 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
Hi Jake,

That's good to know. We had not dissected a c5 yet, but the c6 doesn't split the circuits like one would think. It pairs a front with a rear. Not two rears or two fronts.

Louis
Old 09-01-2016, 04:56 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GSpeed
That's good to know. We had not dissected a c5 yet, but the c6 doesn't split the circuits like one would think. It pairs a front with a rear. Not two rears or two fronts.

Louis
I work in the OEM brake biz and most vehicles seem to do it diagonally as you mention. I didn't realize the C5 did it F/R until three days ago. I am happy to ship you a bad MC for analysis if it helps, assuming Raybestos is unwilling to replace it for me under warranty...

Last edited by ScaryFast; 09-01-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:43 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

https://gspeed.com/product/corvette-...ke-conversion/

First article going to speed south, we have one left from the first batch. We can get the cost a little lower if we get some sold for batch 2.

The following users liked this post:
Operations (10-08-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 04:24 PM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This is pretty badass...

So your suggestion would be to use this with an aftermarket ABS system? Any chance you guys have something done along those lines? I'm not a huge fan of the factory ABS and would love to see how much better this is with something like that.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:44 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Dubstep Shep
This is pretty badass...

So your suggestion would be to use this with an aftermarket ABS system? Any chance you guys have something done along those lines? I'm not a huge fan of the factory ABS and would love to see how much better this is with something like that.
That would be the highest performing option, yes. We've installed the Bosch M4 ABS system on several cars, and it's great. Install is fairly time consuming, since you're basically creating a new brake system, and you'd lose any traction control or active handling with the OEM system.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:44 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

We installed the prototype today in a customer's car today. The factory ABS system is deleted, and lines are plumbed directly from the Tilton master cylinders to the OEM hardlines.

Of course, we tested it on track, and it works great. Pedal effort is higher, as you'd imagine, but very easy to modulate and control.

Pricing is currently set at $4200, but if we get enough interest we could do a Group Buy and lower the price.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:47 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Nice looking piece.

I'm curious about the brake booster being removed. What is the intent with that and making the pedal harder to push?
Old 10-27-2016, 08:56 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
Nice looking piece.

I'm curious about the brake booster being removed. What is the intent with that and making the pedal harder to push?
The two main reasons are adjustable braking bias from the driver's seat, and ability to change master cylinder sizes to match calipers.

The pedal is more firm than a vacuum assisted system, sure, but at around 90lb/G, it's very manageable. Of course, that can all be adjusted to match driver preference.

Jake

Get notified of new replies

To New GSpeed bolt in C5/C6 Tilton Master cylinder setup

Old 12-16-2016, 10:29 AM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Several kits out in service, with no issues to date. This is a wonderful upgrade if you really want to take control of the braking system and know the value in what this kit brings to the table.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:59 PM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

what does the "bias ****" do? limit rear pressure or ist is really proportioning?
Old 11-09-2017, 08:43 AM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by romandian
what does the "bias ****" do? limit rear pressure or ist is really proportioning?
You can see the bias bar in the pictures that G-Speed posted. A prop valve limits pressure. This is actually changing the pedal force distribution between the 2 MCs.

Quick Reply: New GSpeed bolt in C5/C6 Tilton Master cylinder setup