Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone share a review of Dominion Raceway in Thornburg Va.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 07:55 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Anyone share a review of Dominion Raceway in Thornburg Va.

Friends

I have not seen any reviews of Dominion but it appears to be open and am considering a HPDE there. Any impressions would be helpful.

Thank you.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:54 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

It's going to be hard to find a review on the CF. I signed up for two of the early events and they ended up cancelling due to construction delays with much rain in May and early part of June.

I drove by a couple of weeks ago to see how the track and facilities were coming along. The track is now paved and operational. There is a lot of exposed dirt and it will take some time to get grass established. Rain will carry dirt onto the track until they get grass growing. Some sections of the track have little to no runoff area, so this is going to take a higher measure of concentration versus, say, VIR. Overall, it looks like a good road course and I'm looking forward to putting in some laps.

Here is a video with Chris Cabetto, Director - NASA Mid Atlantic Region in a Z06

Last edited by Bad_AX; 09-04-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:35 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks Ax My preference is always VIR but Dominion is only a little over and hour from Charlottesville and thought I might try it.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:59 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Ping the OP for this thread - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...for-cheap.html

He's been to a few events there now. I'm contemplating the Audi event there in a couple of weeks.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:23 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

NASA Mid Atlantic just ran an event there. Most folks found the track fun and challenging. The facility is probably 90 % functional. The track is finished as are the club house, restaurant, timing tower, class rooms, paddock and most of the amenities. If you are a camper and need power or showers you are going to have to wait awhile. I would sign up and enjoy the new facility !
The following users liked this post:
Bad_AX (09-05-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 08:32 PM
BAD-Z06
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kenw
Friends

I have not seen any reviews of Dominion but it appears to be open and am considering a HPDE there. Any impressions would be helpful.

Thank you.
I ran there with NASA Mid-atlantic a couple of months ago. It was Dominion's very first event.

First, I have to say that NASA does an incredible event. They actually brought in the corner workers from Summit Point along with the safety personnel.

The track was very nice. It was built by circle track guys, so there are some items that could be improved for road racing. There was not a lot of run-off in case you went off track in a couple of the corners.. There are large concrete barriers in a couple of corners, like a circle track. You just have to be cautious and smart. Like anywhere, don't be stupid.

The track is also newly paved. The track is still settling in, so there are a couple of bumps. As time goes on, they are going to pave it again and smooth it out some more. Nothing really bad, but two corners, you can feel it.

Overall, I would recommend the track. Great facilities. Great people. I had a great time and am looking forward to going back!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Bad_AX (09-07-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 09:05 AM
Zeoohsix
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The track was a blast. I ran there with NASA Mid Atlantic for the inaugural event and really enjoyed the track. Yes, it is still a work in progress with some incomplete run off and a lack of exit curbing as BAD-Z06 stated. But I definitely agree it is a worthwhile track and I also recommend a visit.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:09 PM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I was there Sat. The track is awesome. I put 70 laps on the track in my 2008 Z06 over three sessions. It is definitely worth your while. I am going on Friday this week for two more sessions. The track is very technical in places and pure fun in others.
Hauling A$$ at DR down the front straight just passed start finish line.130+ a few times just to do it.

Last edited by 08 ATOMIC-Z; 09-13-2016 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:31 PM
Flying24
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll be there this weekend for the first time, my concern it's a counter-clock wise track which proves to be unfriendly for LS motors at higher G's. I'm going to stay on street tires to keep my G's down to see how my oil pressure does.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:51 PM
ponycar
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I was registered for the first 2 events this year that were cancelled. I went for rides with a good driver at the NASA event. First impressions... Several NASA drivers were seemingly trying to set lap records placing a tire off on successive laps even though they were throwing rocks and dirt all over the track. I will be much more enthusiastic once some grass grows.
Coincidentally I have a nice crack in my windshield from my last event at another track so I'm going to go to the SCCA event in October. I can't make the Audi event this weekend. The turn 1- 3? complex ate one of the top 2 American Iron Mustangs while I watched. Caution is advised in that section due to the high walls blocking the sight lines. Elevated flag stations were not yet in place for the NASA event. They may be now.
I like the amenities. The main building is a great place to hang out. The track has potential. I will drive for fun, and not to fruitlessly try keep up with Poor-sha for the half a corner like I usually do. His taillights are lovely.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:14 PM
Stephenz06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to checking out the track at the upcoming SCCA PDX on the 8th. Should be fun but I worry after a week of rain and no grass that most of the dirt off-track will have made its way onto the track as mudslides. At least the dust won't cause an accident as in the Lightning race there recently.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone share a review of Dominion Raceway in Thornburg Va.

Quick Reply: Anyone share a review of Dominion Raceway in Thornburg Va.