Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement seats for c6 coupe - Big Guy Friendly

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 03:45 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Replacement seats for c6 coupe - Big Guy Friendly

I've been reading for the last couple days about this. I love the new vette but hate the seats. No need for explanation there.

While there are many seat threads on this site, and even some big guy specific ones, I can't find a good answer. Maybe there isn't one?

So the question is, can I find replacement seats that will fit me 38-40" waist, 6'3, 260ish pounds w/ fairly broad shoulders. Suggestions welcome. If I've missed some good answers in my searching i apologize, but please believe I've been looking. A4's look good but I think may be a bit too small for me. Thanks in advance
Old 09-09-2016, 10:33 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Look aluminum racing seats. They are sized by measuring the distance across your hips as you are sitting on a bench. I used to have 17 inch Ultrashield Road Race Seats in my C5Z and then in my C6Z. They provide a deep leg support, waist and shoulder support. The only thing better would be a full containment seat. https://www.ultrashieldrace.com/cata...-Race-Seat/159

Kirkey offers a similarly priced and competitive product.

Bill
Old 09-14-2016, 05:55 PM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm 6'4" and about 250lb with an ex-football player build.

I have a Sabelt GT200 seat in my car with custom mounts. The seat touches the floor, I have no carpet or headliner, but I have a few inches between the top of my helmet and the roof.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:39 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

You can put an 18 inch Kirkey Intermediate road race seat in a C5, should also fit a C6.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:53 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Are you looking for a race seat or just aftermarket for street use?
Old 09-16-2016, 11:02 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Originally Posted by UrbanKnight
Are you looking for a race seat or just aftermarket for street use?
anything for street use that will hold me in place a touch better.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:20 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

bump for a few more recommendations
Old 09-18-2016, 03:33 PM
onargaroberts
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

This is an expensive option but it has worked well for me. I'm 6'4", 270 lbs. I have a 2011 Z06/Z07. I replaced the factory seats with Caravaggio Daytona Race seats. It took me a little while to get used to them, they "hit" you differently, but now I'm very comfortable in them. (It takes me an hour to get to Autobahn Country Club and almost 3 hours to get to Road America and those are both comfortable rides now) My seats are two tone and match the rest of the car interior perfectly (not obvious to most people that these are not factory, original seats). Side suppport is noticeable better than original seats but not like a "real" race seat. I have a bar and full harness that I use at the track which is where my car gets most of its use. I use the original 3 point seat belts to drive to the track, then plug a separate male 3 point seat belt connector into the female belt connector when I get to the track so that the seat belt alarm won't go off while I'm using the harness. You're Chevrolet dealer will give you (free of charge) a seat belt extender and I just cut most of it off so that there is just a two inch nylon "pigtail' attached to the metal, male connector.

Like I said earlier, this is not an inexpensive option but it gives you a high end, factory looking interior with better side support on the street and it's easy to go to a full harness for the track when needed. I also use a HANS Device when I'm in the harness which is something else that's takes a little getting use to but now I'm very comfortable using it. I wanted and needed much better support and restraint for the track but I wanted the car interior to retain the stock look. This works well for me. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:56 AM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Originally Posted by onargaroberts
This is an expensive option but it has worked well for me. I'm 6'4", 270 lbs. I have a 2011 Z06/Z07. I replaced the factory seats with Caravaggio Daytona Race seats. It took me a little while to get used to them, they "hit" you differently, but now I'm very comfortable in them. (It takes me an hour to get to Autobahn Country Club and almost 3 hours to get to Road America and those are both comfortable rides now) My seats are two tone and match the rest of the car interior perfectly (not obvious to most people that these are not factory, original seats). Side suppport is noticeable better than original seats but not like a "real" race seat. I have a bar and full harness that I use at the track which is where my car gets most of its use. I use the original 3 point seat belts to drive to the track, then plug a separate male 3 point seat belt connector into the female belt connector when I get to the track so that the seat belt alarm won't go off while I'm using the harness. You're Chevrolet dealer will give you (free of charge) a seat belt extender and I just cut most of it off so that there is just a two inch nylon "pigtail' attached to the metal, male connector.

Like I said earlier, this is not an inexpensive option but it gives you a high end, factory looking interior with better side support on the street and it's easy to go to a full harness for the track when needed. I also use a HANS Device when I'm in the harness which is something else that's takes a little getting use to but now I'm very comfortable using it. I wanted and needed much better support and restraint for the track but I wanted the car interior to retain the stock look. This works well for me. Good luck.

Sweet Baby Jesus. These are perfect! They're not cheap, buTT one could argue (see what I did there?) that the seat is the most utilized part of any car.

I wonder if they'll let poor folks buy one at a time.... I could live with a mismatch for a few months while I save up for the second one...

On a more serious note, you sound like you're actually a tad bigger than me which is very encouraging. How do the seats sit height wise compared to stock? And issues with it pinching your torso or shoulders?
Old 09-24-2016, 02:33 PM
onargaroberts
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I actually tried a couple different seats and these were the best for seat height. Tell him you're height challenged and he can adjust for that. My head will just touch the head liner. It's another thing i've just had to get used to. I don't think about it now and it is just part of my driving style.

As I said in the first post. These seats "hit" you differently. I drove back from Toronto to Chicago with these new seats and I was a little sore. Now, I'm used to it. I'm also not making any more 11 hour trips in this car and it is not a daily driver. For people our size, it's not that comfortable a car but it is a rocket on the track and a heck of a lot of fun to drive. That's why i own it.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:59 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Originally Posted by onargaroberts
I actually tried a couple different seats and these were the best for seat height. Tell him you're height challenged and he can adjust for that. My head will just touch the head liner. It's another thing i've just had to get used to. I don't think about it now and it is just part of my driving style.

As I said in the first post. These seats "hit" you differently. I drove back from Toronto to Chicago with these new seats and I was a little sore. Now, I'm used to it. I'm also not making any more 11 hour trips in this car and it is not a daily driver. For people our size, it's not that comfortable a car but it is a rocket on the track and a heck of a lot of fun to drive. That's why i own it.

Thanks for taking to time to write both responses man. Much appreciated
Old 09-28-2016, 03:37 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

anyone else? Been looking at the recaros as well. They look nice.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:04 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by danielwebb
anyone else? Been looking at the recaros as well. They look nice.
recaro and "big guy" don't usually go in the same sentence
Old 09-28-2016, 05:10 PM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanKnight
recaro and "big guy" don't usually go in the same sentence

l learned that one the hard way. Bought a set, thought they were sized for me (according to Recaro) but when I installed them, I didn't fit! 6'2" 240.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:56 AM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

i would just get 'Sparco EVO 2 Plus' and call it a day

i didnt do both seat, just the driver, mine is the biggest EVO u can fit int the Vette EVO II PLUS, i have 38 inch waste ( 6' 195# )and its perfect for me with little room ( in case i gain weight haha )

and seats belts and airbags work with this setup for street driving so no need to swap seats ( I hate stock seats with passion )

here is quick pics for reference

Last edited by MUKAK; 09-30-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:23 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Originally Posted by MUKAK
i would just get 'Sparco EVO 2 Plus' and call it a day

i didnt do both seat, just the driver, mine is the biggest EVO u can fit int the Vette EVO II PLUS, i have 38 inch waste ( 6' 195# )and its perfect for me with little room ( in case i gain weight haha )

and seats belts and airbags work with this setup for street driving so no need to swap seats ( I hate stock seats with passion )

here is quick pics for reference

does the fixed position seat ever get old? what angle is the back at? Looks almost straight up.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:47 PM
C6C3Vettes
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default BIG guy seats cont'd

Originally Posted by danielwebb
does the fixed position seat ever get old? what angle is the back at? Looks almost straight up.
Are you using your stock seat belts or do you have a racing harness?

Get notified of new replies

To Replacement seats for c6 coupe - Big Guy Friendly

Old 10-03-2016, 09:22 AM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Originally Posted by C6C3Vettes
Are you using your stock seat belts or do you have a racing harness?
Stock seat belts
Old 10-11-2016, 03:56 PM
burnsie629
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default almost the same size and situation

I'm 6' 4" and sat in the A4 and liked them but just wasn't what I was looking for. I went with the Evolution X fixed back and am very happy with the seats. It was a balance of price, performance and comfort which worked out well for me. I can daily drive them, use my harnesses for the track and still fit with a helmet on. They don't recline and that did worry me prior to purchase, but it's not been an issue at all, I actually like it more. The brackets can be modded to get a bit lower, which I might do this winter. The only issue I might add are the seat bolsters, which hit my leg a little weird, but I got use to it. The shoulder width is perfect.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:09 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Originally Posted by burnsie629
I'm 6' 4" and sat in the A4 and liked them but just wasn't what I was looking for. I went with the Evolution X fixed back and am very happy with the seats. It was a balance of price, performance and comfort which worked out well for me. I can daily drive them, use my harnesses for the track and still fit with a helmet on. They don't recline and that did worry me prior to purchase, but it's not been an issue at all, I actually like it more. The brackets can be modded to get a bit lower, which I might do this winter. The only issue I might add are the seat bolsters, which hit my leg a little weird, but I got use to it. The shoulder width is perfect.

How straight do they sit you up?

Quick Reply: Replacement seats for c6 coupe - Big Guy Friendly