Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Formula One - SINGAPORE - TV Times (U.S.)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 11:25 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Formula One - SINGAPORE - TV Times (U.S.)

Formula One - Singapore - Schedule on NBC Sports Network and CNBC

THINGS ARE DIFFERENT THIS WEEKEND SO HEADS UP

SHOWINGS WILL BE ON NBC SPORTS NET AND ON CNBC !!

Practice is being shown ONE time.

Qualifying will be shown THREE times.

The Race will be shown TWO times.

** LIVE QUALIFYING WILL BE ON CNBC !! **

The post-race show "F1 Extra" is shown immediately after the race
show whatever time that may be. So the simplest way to make sure you
record it is to simply added enough extra time to the race broadcast to
get (a) any extra time that was needed to record the entire race
including any delays, and (b) "F1 Extra".

I pull this info from from my Tivo's schedule. I have no guarantee that
it is correct but it usually is. I double check it with the NBC Sports
NET schedule, too.

------------------------------------------------------------------
ALL TIMES PACIFIC DAYLIGHT TIME !!!!! Eastern time in parens
------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday September 16, 2016
---------------------------

6:30 AM - Practice 2 [LIVE] (9:30 AM Eastern) NBCSN

Saturday September 17, 2016
------------------------------

6:00 AM - Qualifying [LIVE] (9:00 AM Eastern) *** CNBC ***
4:30 PM - Qualifying [RESHOWING] (7:30 PM Eastern) NBCSN

Sunday September 18, 2016
----------------------------

3:00 AM - Qualifying [RESHOWING] (6:00 AM Eastern) NBCSN
4:00 AM - PRE-RACE SHOW
4:30 AM - RACE [LIVE] (7:30 AM Eastern) NBCSN

Monday September 19, 2016
-----------------------------

11:00 AM - RACE [RESHOWING] (2:00 PM Eastern)
//////////
The following 5 users liked this post by Zoxxo:
BrianCunningham (09-15-2016), Moto One (09-16-2016), Nowanker (09-15-2016), raff (09-13-2016), Subfixer (09-14-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 12:43 PM
steve J06
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default F1 sold

Thanks Z!!

Any thought about when we might see changes coming from Liberty Cap? I read a couple of blog posts speculating that nothing would likely change until 2020 when the commercial contract is up. Seems plausible, but life experience says that any new owner will come in and want to make changes right away (or as soon as they acquire controlling interest in 2017). Not sure what would be a 'good' change. Perhaps a less Ferrari biased prize money payout?

Steve
Old 09-13-2016, 08:37 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by steve J06
Thanks Z!!

Any thought about when we might see changes coming from Liberty Cap? I read a couple of blog posts speculating that nothing would likely change until 2020 when the commercial contract is up. Seems plausible, but life experience says that any new owner will come in and want to make changes right away (or as soon as they acquire controlling interest in 2017). Not sure what would be a 'good' change. Perhaps a less Ferrari biased prize money payout?
Well, remember that CVC/Liberty has only limited influence on the rules and races and the like. They have X number of votes as do the teams and the FIA. The technical rules can only be changed short term by a unanimous vote of the teams. That's the way the current Concord Agreement is set up. So yes, 2020 would be when a new agreement would likely be brought into play and at that point all bets are off. I expect that any near-term changes will come in the way the series is presented and sold to the world.

Read this one:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/an...tv-808979/?s=1

As for the Ferrari payments:

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns34774.html

Z//
Old 09-15-2016, 01:11 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Default Why F1 is ridiculous

How much money did this thing cost to research, design, build, and test? Then, with that figure in mind, ask how much time it shaves off of the average lap time (if any, in the real world) and then do the math - how many dollars spent in return for how many hundredths of a second?

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bi...ng-826760/?s=1

And the teams all howl about saving money with the result that DRIVERS are penalized grid position because a *transmission* breaks. I find it hard to believe that said tranny components cost anywhere as much as that front wing does.

Z//
Old 09-18-2016, 06:20 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

You get what you pay for

The Spanish channel started coverage on lap 6
Old 09-18-2016, 07:53 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Heh. Well, you barely get what you pay for with NBCSN. On the other hand we were treated to a race with neither Diffey NOR Buxton doing their cheerleading bit. That said, condolences to Mr. Buxton.

Pretty good race, actually. I've never been a fan of Singapore but for sure it was pretty interesting this year. My only complaint is that Kimi didn't push Hamilton off of the podium.

Z//
Old 09-18-2016, 09:28 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 734 Likes on 544 Posts

Didn't miss Leigh Diffey one bit, but would have preferred Bob Varsha. Unaware of Will Buxton's situation other than noting his absence.... enlighten me?
And thanks for the general F1 insight!
Old 09-18-2016, 10:39 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Didn't miss Leigh Diffey one bit, but would have preferred Bob Varsha.
Well duh.

Unaware of Will Buxton's situation other than noting his absence.... enlighten me?
His father died this past week. They made mention of it at the top of the shows this weekend.

James Allen did a great job filling in. He's been doing F1 stuff for a long time. In addition to all of his F1 roles (he's often the voice you hear asking questions of the drivers after qualifying in the official "press conferences" and the like,) he also plays host to many of the F1 parties hosted by Grand Prix Tours on race weekends. Here's his Wikipedia page. He has quite a resume:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_...8journalist%29

And thanks for the general F1 insight!
You're welcome, I guess. Just the knowledge and experience gained from decades of life and following F1 all being used to conjure up memories and to form opinions.
"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
that struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
and then is heard no more. It is a tale
told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."
--- William Shakespeare in Macbeth.
A whole lot of people need to internalize this one.

Z//

Last edited by Zoxxo; 09-18-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:28 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
Heh. Well, you barely get what you pay for with NBCSN. On the other hand we were treated to a race with neither Diffey NOR Buxton doing their cheerleading bit. That said, condolences to Mr. Buxton.

Pretty good race, actually. I've never been a fan of Singapore but for sure it was pretty interesting this year. My only complaint is that Kimi didn't push Hamilton off of the podium.

Z//
Haven't missed Diffey at all. I think Till is doing fine, I'd love to see that change become permanent (don't see Bob V. coming back ). And sad about Buxton's dad, although it was implied that it wasn't a surprise.

I wished we'd have seen more of Vettel's run; that was a great run!

BTW, how does Merc NOT know they're going to have brake overheating problems; it's not the first time at Singapore IIRC.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-19-2016, 04:11 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
BTW, how does Merc NOT know they're going to have brake overheating problems; it's not the first time at Singapore IIRC.
They didn't. That was a story manufactured by Matchett. They had a brake longevity problem. For some reason these guys seem to forget that the carbon brakes are *always* glowing red during races. You just can't see it in the daylight. Think about it - the worst track for brake survival is Canada. I'll guarantee you that the brakes on every car at that race spend a lot of time "in the red" as it were. But do you ever have the announcers yapping about it???

Read this:
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/me...gapore-828326/

and for a really interesting look at the big picture of the race (the MSNBC crew gave us some components of the story but failed to see the big picture.) Read this one. It's cool. Trust me.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/an...rg-828210/?s=1

to Adam Cooper for his consistantly interesting post-race columns and analyses!!

Z//
The following users liked this post:
VetteDrmr (09-19-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 05:16 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

They didn't. That was a story manufactured by Matchett. They had a brake longevity problem. For some reason these guys seem to forget that the carbon brakes are *always* glowing red during races. You just can't see it in the daylight. Think about it - the worst track for brake survival is Canada. I'll guarantee you that the brakes on every car at that race spend a lot of time "in the red" as it were. But do you ever have the announcers yapping about it???

Read this:
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/me...gapore-828326/

and for a really interesting look at the big picture of the race (the MSNBC crew gave us some components of the story but failed to see the big picture.) Read this one. It's cool. Trust me.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/an...rg-828210/?s=1

to Adam Cooper for his consistantly interesting post-race columns and analyses!!

Z//
Sometimes I read the post race analysis & it seems like a different more interesting race than the broadcast. At least they kept going to Minttu

Last edited by froggy47; 09-19-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:02 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by froggy47
Sometimes I read the post race analysis & it seems like a different more interesting race than the broadcast. At least they kept going to Minttu
Isn't that the sister island of Vanuatu?

It's actually inevitable that the viewers will be in the dark. As James Allen said in the pre-race show (I think) "F1 is a thinking man's sport" (which is why so many people don't "get it" ) and to fully appreciate it you need to be able to deal with strategic planning and thinking. Even if you have zero idea what the teams are doing, you can make it just as fun by creating your own interpretation of what you're seeing. That said, *I* am allowed to do that as I watch the race unfold. The "experts" on the TV should NOT be doing that. To paraphrase, "if at first you can't be right, please please don't guess." (and then report it as either likely or actual fact.)

For this race Hobbs and gang did catch a lot of the issues at the time. They caught the fact that Rosberg didn't stop after all once they realized he'd be undercut by Ricciardo, the fear they all had of the safety car coming out, etc. It's just that the complete big picture wasn't obvious until afterwards when Cooper could go to all the parties and piece together the whole story. As I said, given that the teams' strategies are most valuable info, it's pretty much a given that the press CAN'T have enough info until the postmortem.

Z//
froggy47 (09-19-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 08:08 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Isn't that the sister island of Vanuatu?

It's actually inevitable that the viewers will be in the dark. As James Allen said in the pre-race show (I think) "F1 is a thinking man's sport" (which is why so many people don't "get it" ) and to fully appreciate it you need to be able to deal with strategic planning and thinking. Even if you have zero idea what the teams are doing, you can make it just as fun by creating your own interpretation of what you're seeing. That said, *I* am allowed to do that as I watch the race unfold. The "experts" on the TV should NOT be doing that. To paraphrase, "if at first you can't be right, please please don't guess." (and then report it as either likely or actual fact.)

For this race Hobbs and gang did catch a lot of the issues at the time. They caught the fact that Rosberg didn't stop after all once they realized he'd be undercut by Ricciardo, the fear they all had of the safety car coming out, etc. It's just that the complete big picture wasn't obvious until afterwards when Cooper could go to all the parties and piece together the whole story. As I said, given that the teams' strategies are most valuable info, it's pretty much a given that the press CAN'T have enough info until the postmortem.

Z//
I do have to laugh, when Vettel was doing a tricycle imitation

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/233677/...rk-vettel.html

I actually knew almost instantly that a REAR sway bar had come undone. I have taught myself a good deal about suspension (Vettes) having done my own (suspension) for autox for about 12 years and knew that the rear bar sticks the front down & vice versa to a great extent.

Hobbs picked that up pretty quick too.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:55 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by froggy47
I actually knew almost instantly that a REAR sway bar had come undone.
It's interesting that I can't fine ONE story about Vettel's weekend that says "roll bar." The constantly used term is "rear suspension link". But then nowhere can I find any more detail than that.

Hobbs picked that up pretty quick too.
Given David's CV I would *hope* that he'd figure that one fairly quickly

Last edited by Zoxxo; 09-23-2016 at 06:41 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:35 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

They had a brake longevity problem. For some reason these guys seem to forget that the carbon brakes are *always* glowing red during races.
I remember in past years some teams would have inserts in the brake duct inlets to control the airflow to the brakes to keep them from running too cool, and if the conditions changed they'd pull those inserts.

Do they do that anymore? Or did FIA change the rules to make that illegal (changing the car configuration after it's in Parc Ferme)?

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-21-2016, 04:47 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

I remember in past years some teams would have inserts in the brake duct inlets to control the airflow to the brakes to keep them from running too cool, and if the conditions changed they'd pull those inserts.

Do they do that anymore? Or did FIA change the rules to make that illegal (changing the car configuration after it's in Parc Ferme)?
Now they do that with tape. Either "Racer's tape" or "helicopter tape."

The 2016 Sporting Regulations re: parc ferme' specifically list what you can do to/with the car under parc ferme'. Anything not listed is forbidden. That said, here's rule 34.2.o which says:
If the FIA technical delegate is satisfied that changes in climatic conditions necessitate alterations to the specification of a car, changes may be made to the air ducts around the front and rear brakes and radiator ducts. These changes may be made at any time after all teams have been sent the message “CHANGE IN CLIMATIC CONDITIONS” via the official messaging system. From this point onwards the choice of air ducts around the front and rear brakes and radiator ducts is free and pitot tubes may be covered or uncovered, subject always to compliance with the relevant Technical Regulations.
That's the only mention of the brake cooling ducts. So I would have to assume that they also have to be decided upon prior to Q1.

Z//

Last edited by Zoxxo; 09-24-2016 at 02:33 PM.
VetteDrmr (09-22-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 08:29 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

That's the only mention of the brake cooling ducts. So I would have to assume that they also have to be decided upon prior to P1.

Z//
Yup, reads that way to me. Thanks for the info!

Have a good one,
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Formula One - SINGAPORE - TV Times (U.S.)

Old 09-22-2016, 10:58 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Yup, reads that way to me. Thanks for the info!
A couple of things...

1. I typo'd that. It should be (as Matchett often points out) the start of "Q1" (not "P1") when parc ferme' conditions commence. When the car rolls out into the pit lane...

2. Here's the link to the 2016 sporting regulations on the FIA site should anyone care. This is a PDF file:

http://www.fia.com/file/40714/downlo...token=aIudaF8D

Z//
The following 2 users liked this post by Zoxxo:
froggy47 (09-22-2016), VetteDrmr (09-23-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 10:50 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Default 1000 horsepower?

Here's an interesting story this morning regarding the current state of development on the Merc F1 power units:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/an...arrier-829341/

Z//
The following 2 users liked this post by Zoxxo:
BrianCunningham (09-23-2016), VetteDrmr (09-24-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 06:09 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Here's an interesting story this morning regarding the current state of development on the Merc F1 power units:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/an...arrier-829341/

Z//
Read an article a while back stating the efficiency of their engine is up over 50%

most engines are down around 30%

Quick Reply: Formula One - SINGAPORE - TV Times (U.S.)