Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tilted forward radiator.. worth it? Track-ish car.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 10:31 AM
Ls240sx
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Tilted forward radiator.. worth it? Track-ish car.

So I am preparing my car for more of a track-duty with seldom street use car. We don't need to turn this into a forced induction is bad for a racecar thread but It is a twin turbo car with side mounts in the fog light openings, running TIKT-esk bumper inserts. Think new LG c7 cooling solution. Anyway, I am looking for any insight to whether the tilted radiator is better than the oem location. Either way, it will utilize a dual pass radiator and a huge fan setup.

Thoughts?
Old 09-15-2016, 02:51 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Angling the radiator generally lets you put a bigger radiator in the same size passage. This is why you see the radiators mounted that way in an Indy car or an F1 car. If you're going to use the same size core then it's not going to improve things measurably.

If you have an air exit in the hood it is a big help in that the air get directed upwards toward the exit and there are lower losses. If the air is going out the engine compartment, then it is of no advantage.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:32 PM
Ls240sx
Pro

Tilt forward or tilt back, you could run taller core so I don't see how that is a valid argument. My fan assy is 28x17 so I will do a core with similar dimensions. However the exit out the hood most definitely would help, which my car has anyway although I am going to make more of a duct IF there is that much of a benefit to laying it forward
Old 09-15-2016, 08:41 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The reason folks tilt the radiator forward is that it's required for air flow if you add a splitter up front (i.e., you need to make the car a front breather instead of a bottom breather if you cover up the bottom with a splitter). If you plan on adding splitter, wing, coilovers - move the radiator. If not, there isn't much benefit.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:37 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Any pics of the turbo setup out of interest? I would probably keep the rad were it is and fit a big unit as possiable. You will already be removing restriction through the core, I'm guessing, by ditching the AC.

I would leave as is and then if you are having issue look to tip forward later. There was someone on here doing pikes peak and he fitted a huge core that was tilted forward.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:56 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 475 Likes on 352 Posts

I would imagine there'd be a benefit with a vented hood by straightening the airflow out through the radiator as opposed to making it change directions.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:56 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

The whole reason that you see pro race teams tilt the radiator forward is for downforce. When properly executed (meaning the exit airflow is going out and over the hood) the airflow through the radiator makes considerable downforce due to the angle of the radiator as well as using your hood as sort of a "front wing".

When done properly it's a lot of work but it's definitely worth it
Old 09-16-2016, 10:08 AM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SunnydayDILYSI
The reason folks tilt the radiator forward is that it's required for air flow if you add a splitter up front (i.e., you need to make the car a front breather instead of a bottom breather if you cover up the bottom with a splitter). If you plan on adding splitter, wing, coilovers - move the radiator. If not, there isn't much benefit.
It's definitely not required. Lots of front breathing guys like myself keep the stock radiator location. Tipping it forward is for downforce primarily.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:37 PM
Ls240sx
Pro

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Any pics of the turbo setup out of interest? I would probably keep the rad were it is and fit a big unit as possiable. You will already be removing restriction through the core, I'm guessing, by ditching the AC.

I would leave as is and then if you are having issue look to tip forward later. There was someone on here doing pikes peak and he fitted a huge core that was tilted forward.
I dont have any in progress pics of the latest work but this is where I started. I have since gone to a hi-ram which I am contemplating could back to something not as tall. The unfortunate part about that is the runner length is perfect so who knows. Intercooler piping runs under/through/around and about the crossmember to the front.

Engine is a 5.5L (destroked 6L). 2:1 rod stroke ratio. CNC cathedral ports, morels blah blah. Made a little over 1000whp. I have 0 intention on running that on the track. Boost strategy is set up as linear as possible.

Last edited by Ls240sx; 09-16-2016 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:08 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,106 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by SunnydayDILYSI
Old 09-18-2016, 11:22 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

It dropped by water temps by 20 degrees. Mine is tilted forward and sheet metal boxed to force air through the radiator and exit out the center of the hood.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:40 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 463 Likes on 331 Posts

How about some pictures
Old 09-18-2016, 10:22 PM
LHZAWD
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Tipped my double flow forward ( from my turbo talon) helps leave room to work on front of engine if needed
and with the hood vent helps release air up and over
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2016, 10:38 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

No, it is not necessary. Only do it if you are looking for that absolute last bit of front downforce.

My DeWitts radiator is in the upright, stock location. I do have a vented hood, which helps airflow. My temps are well under control as I rarely see it above 214* even in mid-summer, southern racing conditions. I am willing to sacrifice a bit of front downforce for ease of repair during an event. I have watched competitors have to sit out the weekend due to inability to slave in a stock radiator after a front hit or a radiator puncture.

I seem to do ok with my setup.

Get notified of new replies

To Tilted forward radiator.. worth it? Track-ish car.

Quick Reply: Tilted forward radiator.. worth it? Track-ish car.