Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vetteworks floor mount (5 point mount) altering to 6pt

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 10:33 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Default vetteworks floor mount (5 point mount) altering to 6pt

has anyone took a vetteworks 5 point harness mount (front bottom of the seat) and converted it for 6 point harnesses.

Im trying to figure out where I can mount the eyes bolts

pictured below is the mount with the location I'm attempting to do mounting points.

Dan informed me I could tap into the mount anywhere. I asked him for some further advice, and even if he could machine a mount for a 6 point with no reply. Reply seems to be hit or miss with him via email. At this point, I waited almost a month for all the parts to come in and am anxious to get it mounted up.

I can't mount eye bolts the way the (5th point is mounted in the middle and vertical) it will contact the seat way too soon. I thought about getting two eye bolts mounted flat and horizontal(facing the front of the car) so the snap hooks could hook in and there would be no issues with seat clearance (when sliding forward. Im concerned about how to fab that up, the structure of the mount, how good a weld will hold in an impact etc.

best i can do for a picture:

Last edited by Chets LS3; 09-16-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:51 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

I might attempt to do 1 1/2 angle iron and weld it to the bracket. Then the in the eye bolts. Not sure quite yet
Old 09-18-2016, 05:30 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

You don't want to do that. Mounting the sub belt in front of the seat defeats the purpose of the sub belt which is to hold the lap belt in place across your pelvic girdle. The shoulder belts pull up on the lap belt and the sub belt is supposed to pull down on the lap belt to keep it in the proper location. Mounted in front of the seat the belt is pulling the lap belt away from your pelvis thus making it easier to submarine under the lap belt. On top of that the belt is riding across a cushion so the pressure exerted by the belt changes as the cushion depresses during an incident. Read the installation instructions for your belt and you will not find a recommendation to mount the belt that way.

You are much better off mounting the belts in what is called the formula method which means the lap and sub belt mounts are co located and you sit on the sub belts. The most detailed belt mounting instructions are from Schroth http://www.schroth.com/en/segments/r...tructions.html. Page 16 shows the configuration for sitting on the straps.

Bill
Old 09-25-2016, 08:29 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

thats dissapointing to hear. I could run the 6 pt through the seat. I just hear its really uncomfortable

Get notified of new replies

To vetteworks floor mount (5 point mount) altering to 6pt

Quick Reply: vetteworks floor mount (5 point mount) altering to 6pt