Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Height Adjuster Locking

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 07:48 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Height Adjuster Locking

I'm going to adjust my car back up to the stock ride height (6" front, 6.22 rear). The car had self-adjusted itself down to 4.5".

I read a thread where people were adding a fender washer and nut on top of the front spring. Is there some reason GM didn't put a nut on it from the factory?

Does anyone have concerns with:

- damaging the top of the spring from the washer pressure (maybe put some rubber under it)

- is the spring perpendicular to the bolt at that location or at an angle (potentially increasing the risk of damage from the nut / washer)

- does the spring need to float and potentially shift left / right at the ends as the spring deflects during suspension travel (I don't remember how large the clearance hole is around the adjuster)

.... or is adding the nut / washer something that is frequently done without concern?

Thanks

Rob
Old 09-23-2016, 08:23 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I use nord locks and jam nuts to secure mine however I used them under the spring rather than on top - this area is reinforced with metal

Old 09-23-2016, 06:23 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Never heard of a nord lock. They look interesting.

Going from the underside is probably the correct way to do it. How hard is it to remove the adjusting screw?

Originally Posted by el es tu
I use nord locks and jam nuts to secure mine however I used them under the spring rather than on top - this area is reinforced with metal
Old 09-23-2016, 06:41 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

I know this was covered in one of the many posts I read but I didn't write it down and can't find it again.

Whats the relationship between turns of the adjusting screw to change in height?

Thanks
Old 09-26-2016, 02:50 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I use aftermarket ones that go from the top so its really quick since I can just back the bolt out without disconnecting everything

with the oem ones it needs to come out from the bottom.

disconnect the sway bar end link from the lower control arm
disconnect the tie rod end
disconnect the lower shock mount
disconnect the upper ball joint

then you can remove the oem spring adjuster

note: you will want to have a jack handy to support the lower a-arm while disconnecting everything

good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Height Adjuster Locking

Quick Reply: Height Adjuster Locking