Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found hunk of metal in diff fluid... Wtf is it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 04:58 PM
bags142
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Found hunk of metal in diff fluid... Wtf is it?

Changed diff fluid today. This piece of metal was on the magnetic drain plug along with a good bit of sludge.

It looks like maybe a piece of a bearing race or like part of a snap ring. It is not soft/bendable.

I will remove the cover in a couple days to peak in there. Any tips, suggestions, comments are welcome.

Car is c5 z and has 40k ​​​​​​miles and has done track time. But, I can't hear or feel any excessive noise/vibration

Thanks

Last edited by bags142; 09-27-2016 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Add model
Old 09-27-2016, 08:44 PM
The03Z
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Too short to be a broken off gear tooth?
Old 09-27-2016, 09:37 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Check your preload on your diff. Possibly a piece of the Belleville washer.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:08 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Is it magnetic?
Old 09-28-2016, 06:37 AM
555ss
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fmcokc
That is my quess also I have seen those before. The washer is done or even both.... I would upgrade to C6 clutches and springs, not a bad job once the rear end is out of the car....
Old 09-28-2016, 01:02 PM
bags142
Pro

Originally Posted by The03Z
Too short to be a broken off gear tooth?
Yeah and does not feel like a gear tooth

Yeah looking at pics of diff parts and that seems likely.

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Is it magnetic?
yes it is

Originally Posted by 555ss
That is my quess also I have seen those before. The washer is done or even both.... I would upgrade to C6 clutches and springs, not a bad job once the rear end is out of the car....
Hmm ok. Thank.

And I should have been a little more descriptive. I have had the car 1 year and logged 1 track day and 9000 street miles. It was heavily tracked before i bought it.

I made the mistake of not changing fluid when i got car, i got lazy.I got a trackday next friday and I finally changed fluid and found this.

Now trying to figure out how much damage and if car is still track safe in current condition if no gear teeth or any visual damage when i take diff cover off

Last edited by bags142; 09-28-2016 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 09-28-2016, 01:07 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Old 09-28-2016, 01:14 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by bags142

yes it is

Hmm ok. Thank.

And I should have been a little more descriptive. I have had the car 1 year and logged 1 track day and 9000 street miles. It was heavily tracked before i bought it.

I made the mistake of not changing fluid when i got car, i got lazy.I got a trackday next friday and I finally changed fluid and found this.

Now trying to figure out how much damage and if car is still track safe in current condition if no gear teeth or any visual damage when i take diff cover off
Not track safe unless you can handle the diff locking @ 100 plus. You will damage the gears etc. by driving it if they are not already done.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:11 PM
bags142
Pro

Originally Posted by froggy47
Not track safe unless you can handle the diff locking @ 100 plus. You will damage the gears etc. by driving it if they are not already done.

That's what I was starting to think. But figured I would ask to get others opinion
Old 09-28-2016, 03:29 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Do what 555ss said & you'll be better than ever.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:00 PM
bags142
Pro

Do what 555ss said & you'll be better than ever.
Well thinking about replacing whole unit just for the peace of mind.

Looking into the upgrades yall suggested too! 😄
Old 09-28-2016, 11:55 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Well thinking about replacing whole unit just for the peace of mind.

Looking into the upgrades yall suggested too! 😄
I understand you may think it's "better" to spend more & replace the whole thing. What you will install is the same "marginal" diff that will (if you use it hard enough) fail again. Much better IMO to rebuild it and put in upgrade parts.

Just what I would do if I had to.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:22 AM
bags142
Pro

I understand you may think it's "better" to spend more & replace the whole thing. What you will install is the same "marginal" diff that will (if you use it hard enough) fail again. Much better IMO to rebuild it and put in upgrade parts.

Just what I would do if I had to.

I​​ agree. But, I was thinking of getting a remaned unit from RKT with carbon clutch packs and springs , might be c6z parts. Looking at c6z shafts as well.

​​​​​I am trying to get the "right" part for the job without braking the bank, but want to do get better than what I had! As most of us do.

And thanks Froggy. I am listening to what you and others are saying.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:02 AM
555ss
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

yes it is

Hmm ok. Thank.

I have run a car with a bad bevel spring for several events thinking that just the clutches were worn but in reality both washers were broken.. The only issue I had was no posi. If you buy a replacement rear end form GM for the C5Z it now comes with the better clutches and springs, it even has the better shafts and a $1350 ish it is not a bad deal. I have changed 2 rear ends from drag racing my road race car I have also done several sets of clutches, we road race C5Z's and have several cars. Once the rear end is out of the car the carrier unbolts and you just need to compress the spring and swap out the parts. There are several posts on the forum about how to do it.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:45 AM
dhowdy
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I​​ agree. But, I was thinking of getting a remaned unit from RKT with carbon clutch packs and springs , might be c6z parts. Looking at c6z shafts as well.

​​​​​I am trying to get the "right" part for the job without braking the bank, but want to do get better than what I had! As most of us do.

Doing clutches and springs on the diff isn't really a difficult job, if you have the tools to do one specific step. You need to use a press to compress the spring on one side, can't remember which, so you can pull out the pin that holds the assembly together. In some models (though not all so check yours), this also involves removing the ring gear from the housing (just bolts, but I didn't have a vice or holder to properly unscrew/torque them). I got very fortunate that the local dealership did this part of the job for me for free when I walked in with half of my disassembled diff Everything except that is pretty much cake, you can buy the clutch packs and springs online rather cheaply.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:33 PM
tmtraylor
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

It seems like the bellville springs came broken from GM ;-)

I did this procedure last winter using the step by step in the C5 Tech section to replace clutches, bellville spring and output shafts. In the grand scheme of things, a simple project. Here's how it went down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xr4VxeT-U8
Old 09-29-2016, 12:59 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Sounds good.

Get notified of new replies

To Found hunk of metal in diff fluid... Wtf is it?

Old 09-29-2016, 02:37 PM
Rick@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

If your differential isn't whining/making noise, it would be cheaper to just upgrade your internals.

We have seen cars with less than 30K miles with broken springs.

They normally look like this:

Old 09-29-2016, 03:31 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rick@RKT Performance
If your differential isn't whining/making noise, it would be cheaper to just upgrade your internals.

Why buy a set of new gears/ caseing etc, when all you need are some internal "wear" parts?

Last edited by froggy47; 09-29-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:22 PM
bags142
Pro

Originally Posted by 555ss
I have run a car with a bad bevel spring for several events thinking that just the clutches were worn but in reality both washers were broken.. The only issue I had was no posi. If you buy a replacement rear end form GM for the C5Z it now comes with the better clutches and springs, it even has the better shafts and a $1350 ish it is not a bad deal. I have changed 2 rear ends from drag racing my road race car I have also done several sets of clutches, we road race C5Z's and have several cars. Once the rear end is out of the car the carrier unbolts and you just need to compress the spring and swap out the parts. There are several posts on the forum about how to do it.
Ok. Cool. Thanks. I found them!
Still sitting out RA next week. Lol

Originally Posted by dhowdy
Doing clutches and springs on the diff isn't really a difficult job, if you have the tools to do one specific step. You need to use a press to compress the spring on one side, can't remember which, so you can pull out the pin that holds the assembly together. In some models (though not all so check yours), this also involves removing the ring gear from the housing (just bolts, but I didn't have a vice or holder to properly unscrew/torque them). I got very fortunate that the local dealership did this part of the job for me for free when I walked in with half of my disassembled diff Everything except that is pretty much cake, you can buy the clutch packs and springs online rather cheaply.
Thanks for the info and vote of confidence! I am planning on pulling diff and taking it apart to see what needs to be changed

Originally Posted by tmtraylor
It seems like the bellville springs came broken from GM ;-)

I did this procedure last winter using the step by step in the C5 Tech section to replace clutches, bellville spring and output shafts. In the grand scheme of things, a simple project. Here's how it went down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xr4VxeT-U8
thanks for video! Yeah i have done the clutch so i will swing this too!

[gE=Rick@RKT Performance;1593155172]If your differential isn't whining/making noise, it would be cheaper to just upgrade your internals.

[/QUOTE]

Copy that thanks!

Quick Reply: Found hunk of metal in diff fluid... Wtf is it?