Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need tested cooling direction

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 10:18 PM
Radiologue
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need tested cooling direction

Guys

I have a 2007 C6 Z06, Dewitt's Radiator with cooler for power steering, after market oil cooler in front of the radiator and separate trans cooler in the rear of the car. My water temps are waaaaaaaay too high. I have an LG GT2 splitter and undertray and vented hood, although not as vented as the world challenge style hoods. Thought about Tikt like set up and moving oil cooler to the side, but I don't have time for that before I go to VIR at the end of October. I can redesign the support in front of the radiator, seal up the flow of air into and out of the radiator. I do not want to lose the air conditioning yet... What have you guys done? Any pictures for guidance?

Last edited by Radiologue; 09-28-2016 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:46 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

What is ways too high? Also what is your oil temp? And the ambient temp?
Old 09-28-2016, 10:51 PM
Radiologue
Advanced

Originally Posted by c5racr1
What is ways too high? Also what is your oil temp? And the ambient temp?
I briefly hit 240. It progressively marches up to 230 every session and typically maintains 230 or just below with my heater blowing wide open and then Pit out to avoid the march higher. I do not know what the oil temps were, but I would guess high as well.

Last edited by Radiologue; 09-28-2016 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:52 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

That's on the high side but I wouldn't be alarmed. Most engine builders would not be alarmed at 240-degrees.

If you're using a 15-lb cap the water won't boil until 250-degrees.

You might try draining the system and adding distilled water and 30% (or less) antifreeze.

Pure antifreeze though has a higher viscosity rating than plain distilled water. As you increase the antifreeze percentage in your cooling system the ability to adsorb heat from the engine goes down. A higher percentage of antifreeze retards the radiator's ability to get rid of the coolant heat. This is a case of where less is actually better. You should probably never use over thirty percent anti freeze in your racecar’s cooling system.

It's worth a try. Here's the article I wrote on all this a year back.

Richard Newton
The following users liked this post:
sean.b (11-02-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 08:18 AM
Radiologue
Advanced

Originally Posted by rfn026
That's on the high side but I wouldn't be alarmed. Most engine builders would not be alarmed at 240-degrees.

If you're using a 15-lb cap the water won't boil until 250-degrees.

You might try draining the system and adding distilled water and 30% (or less) antifreeze.

Pure antifreeze though has a higher viscosity rating than plain distilled water. As you increase the antifreeze percentage in your cooling system the ability to adsorb heat from the engine goes down. A higher percentage of antifreeze retards the radiator's ability to get rid of the coolant heat. This is a case of where less is actually better. You should probably never use over thirty percent anti freeze in your racecar’s cooling system.

It's worth a try. Here's the article I wrote on all this a year back.

Richard Newton
Thank you. I was planning on running distilled water and Redline Water Wetter.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:28 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Also, seal up the radiator! Period. This is the biggest thing that people miss and it makes all the difference in the world. Get creative with thick foam, zip ties, double-side tap, small pieces of sheet metal/aluminum, and/or Gorilla tape. If there is any amount of holes around the radiator, the incoming air will seek it out and go the route of least resistance. Don't forget the bottom. I have seen well sealed radiators that still had a gap between the splitter and the bottom of the radiator as well.
The following users liked this post:
sean.b (11-02-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 09:41 AM
Radiologue
Advanced

Plan on redesign of support in front of the radiator, shroud and seal passage into and through the radiator.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:42 AM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Sure the system is working properly... I had a seized tstat that would get hot, but not overheat on track.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:30 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

How much power is the car making? Seems on the high side as well for what you have listed, but I generally don't run PS coolers in the radiator (if I am reading that right).

Street car or strictly track car?
Old 09-29-2016, 11:39 PM
Radiologue
Advanced

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
How much power is the car making? Seems on the high side as well for what you have listed, but I generally don't run PS coolers in the radiator (if I am reading that right).

Street car or strictly track car?
The car reportedly makes 540whp. I am throwing it on the dyno Monday to verify the power and to address what appears to be an excessively rich tune at WOT.

Yes, the former owner repurposed the trans cooler to a PS cooler and installed a separate trans cooler out back.

I am only driving the car on the track, but occasionally head to a car meet or whatever. I have been avoiding the urge to completely gut the car because I know that I would rather have a different car at that point....like an SLC Aero with an LS motor. Way lighter and faster and probably safer...caged.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:45 PM
Jeredk21
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am creeping up to 285 oil temps and 240 water temps with similar setup on c5 after 4 hard laps.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:41 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Evans Water Pump. Install one and end your cooling problems instantly (unless you have something wrong with your present system). Talk to them and let them spec exactly what you need. It's the best unit out there and made a huge difference in my temps.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:35 PM
Radiologue
Advanced

https://nasaspeed.news/tech/engine/r...ic-principles/

Good article that I am going to try to duplicate

Last edited by Radiologue; 10-01-2016 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:12 PM
Radiologue
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hi Volts Z06
Evans Water Pump. Install one and end your cooling problems instantly (unless you have something wrong with your present system). Talk to them and let them spec exactly what you need. It's the best unit out there and made a huge difference in my temps.
Does Evans make a pump for an LS7?

Does anyone run Evans waterless coolant?
Old 10-01-2016, 07:08 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

FYI.... I'm running a flipped radiator and ducted intake with a chimney hood. Adds downforce and helps cooling but the Evans is the biggest bang for the buck. Don't bother with the special coolant....just use water. Evans makes any LS application you can throw at them. Just call and talk to their cooling engineers and they will get you set up with whatever you need.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:30 PM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

On my 2007 Z06 I'm still running the factory radiator with A/C, no thermostat, the bypass and heater blocked off, and after a 20 minute session my oil temps are maybe 250 and the coolant is around 230. No vented hood or anything like that. Mostly stock powertrain, but full suspension and Hoosier DOT race tires.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:09 AM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

If this is the car I am thinking? The fluid plumbing and cooler mounts are works of art, hood would be a Halltech?

Are your temperature readings taken via glances at the gauge, or on track data session logs?

Is shroud still sealed up?

If the same sweet car, Trans and rear end cooler were moved to the rear of the car based on track data logs.

Tune may be a bit rich for the street or drag strip but how is it on datalogs at Daytona or Sebring? Best to leave some on the table to protect that pricy motor. If its the car Im thinking it is well built and set up for roadcourse use. I have seen some guys that tune by a dyno be WAY to lean for endurance usage.

I have done a couple of threads on oil and cooling mods for C6Z's.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...iscussion.html

Just to make sure, you are running with AC off and a low concentration of coolant, or water and wetter?

Last edited by blkbrd69; 10-13-2016 at 12:13 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need tested cooling direction

Old 10-13-2016, 05:39 AM
Radiologue
Advanced

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
If this is the car I am thinking? The fluid plumbing and cooler mounts are works of art, hood would be a Halltech?

Are your temperature readings taken via glances at the gauge, or on track data session logs?

Is shroud still sealed up?

If the same sweet car, Trans and rear end cooler were moved to the rear of the car based on track data logs.

Tune may be a bit rich for the street or drag strip but how is it on datalogs at Daytona or Sebring? Best to leave some on the table to protect that pricy motor. If its the car Im thinking it is well built and set up for roadcourse use. I have seen some guys that tune by a dyno be WAY to lean for endurance usage.

I have done a couple of threads on oil and cooling mods for C6Z's.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...iscussion.html

Just to make sure, you are running with AC off and a low concentration of coolant, or water and wetter?
This IS probably the car you are thinking of... The fluid plumbing, cooling mounts and cooling modifications are well executed. My observations are based on glances at the gauges while driving and not data logging.

In all fairness, the one time the temps spiked...could the air have been on low...I don't know with certainty, but I can say that I ran other sessions with the heat on with water temps maintained below 230. Again, this is me glancing at the gauges while driving.

The flow of air into and out of the radiator could be improved and better sealed. I believe the hood is a Motor City Mold vented carbon fiber hood, much like the Halltech.

And yes, I am most interested in protecting this engine. The car is great! Honestly one of the best cars I have ever driven, and I am a former tube chassis Porsche owner. Besting newer cars like C7 Z06's and Porsche GT3 RS's far exceeded my expectations, so I could not be happier. I'm sure my driving helps, but much of the speed is because of the confidence my new to me vette gives me.

In the end this is too nice of a car, for me, to modify any further. Given my desire to continue track driving for the next two decades, I think I am going to move toward a dedicated race car and keep this car in its pristine state.

Last edited by Radiologue; 10-13-2016 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:33 AM
1badtantrum
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Radio,
Definitely consider the dedicated race car. But, make sure it is proven. I have a C6Z06 that I have been converting it to a dedicated race car. I've run into cooling issues as well. If you have a Dewitt's radiator, be careful of running no antifreeze! I had a brand new radiator, develop via electrolysis, a dozen holes sitting in my garage on blocks over the summer. The radiator was 4 months old. Measure the voltage of your fluid with respect to ground. If it's over .250 read up on radiator electrolysis. I had high oil temps at VIR. 290-305 when pushing hard. I added an improved oil cooler with custom mount. Oil temps dropped to 250 max. But water temp was up to 240 after 5 hard laps. My intermediate change is to create a custom aluminum sealed intake ducting for the radiator. I'll test this at Chin this weekend at VIR. I also moved my trans cooler to the rear of the car. Trans gets Hot too not sure if it is the diff or the trans is biggest contributor. Chasing the thermal challenges is a proving to be difficult. If the sealed ducting up front doesn't work, I'm leaning the radiator forward to creat more airflow around the oil cooler to the radiator. There is not a lot of room above the oil cooler to get cool air to the upper half of the radiator with stock setup. We should talk about this... I'm interested to understand your setup. I'll pm you.

Last edited by 1badtantrum; 10-20-2016 at 02:35 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:28 AM
Radiologue
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1badtantrum
Radio,
Definitely consider the dedicated race car. But, make sure it is proven. I have a C6Z06 that I have been converting it to a dedicated race car. I've run into cooling issues as well. If you have a Dewitt's radiator, be careful of running no antifreeze! I had a brand new radiator, develop via electrolysis, a dozen holes sitting in my garage on blocks over the summer. The radiator was 4 months old. Measure the voltage of your fluid with respect to ground. If it's over .250 read up on radiator electrolysis. I had high oil temps at VIR. 290-305 when pushing hard. I added an improved oil cooler with custom mount. Oil temps dropped to 250 max. But water temp was up to 240 after 5 hard laps. My intermediate change is to create a custom aluminum sealed intake ducting for the radiator. I'll test this at Chin this weekend at VIR. I also moved my trans cooler to the rear of the car. Trans gets Hot too not sure if it is the diff or the trans is biggest contributor. Chasing the thermal challenges is a proving to be difficult. If the sealed ducting up front doesn't work, I'm leaning the radiator forward to creat more airflow around the oil cooler to the radiator. There is not a lot of room above the oil cooler to get cool air to the upper half of the radiator with stock setup. We should talk about this... I'm interested to understand your setup. I'll pm you.
I was going to the same event this weekend, but I cancelled since I have now decided to move to a tube chassis car. Feel free to PM me. I can give you the details of what my set up is and what I think it needs to be where I would want it.

Quick Reply: Need tested cooling direction