Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So this is a road racing forum?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 05:48 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by SunnydayDILYSI
Not sure why they don't make an online channel for the races that don't make prime time... If we're going to engage the next generation, need to do it on the platform they use...
I am a member on many road racing pages on Facebook, even a Corvette Racing page.

I knew about it with a quickness.

When you see the "BOP" neuter the Corvette team after they have put in YEARS of hard work and basically GIVE races to Ford and the GT team, who wants to watch that crap? Or keep up with it?

To the OP, this forum is primarily for owners who ACTUALLY use the Corvette for it's intended purpose.

Corvette "news" is elsewhere on this forum.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 10-20-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:45 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It has mostly died because most of us got tired of arguing with the "fans".

The good old days werent exactly great.

Mike
Old 10-20-2016, 08:49 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by sdurg24
So this is a road racing forum? Corvette is a sports car. Sports cars race. The last race of the year is at Road Atlanta called Petite LeMans. No thread on the Corvette Forum under Autocross and Road Race? What gives? Isn't this a big deal given where Corvette is in the WeatherTech Championship?
You blaming everybody else for a thread about it not being here?

What were you doing?

Why didn't you post it instead of expecting someone else to?
Old 10-20-2016, 09:47 PM
bags142
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If you go to Lemans at RA you will see no shortage of spectators.. even in the shitty rain last year!!!

Sucks that TV coverage is garbage!

Originally Posted by JEPopp
Since then, the forum has been mainly about helping others solve problems / answer questions about tracking their own Corvette - which is a GREAT THING!

I started doing HPDE and then got a vette... and I agree, and I LOVE THIS FORUM!! I'm gonna keep tracking a car till I am to broke to do it.. which may not be that long! LMAO

The people are very helpful. Most people here WANT to help you/me. Even it has been discussed 100 times.

Brake compounds, safety gear, oil weights, what breaks, tire, etc are talked about here. And I am very grateful for the knowledge of people like me who do HPDE, the folks who Race/TT/NASA/SCCA/etc, and companies like LG/Strano/Phoenix/others who post information and again try and help people.

So while the professional racing series may not get the coverage here you want, the people who want to explore putting their corvette on a track have more information than they can process. WHICH IS OUTSTANDING
The following users liked this post:
ErnieN85 (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 04:07 PM
ponycar
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The Fox coverage of LeMans is too infuriating to ponder. I will attempt to record and watch the whole 24 hours. I am inevitably frustrated by unannounced scheduling changes. I am consistently frustrated by the public preferring circle track racing to the road racing where we turn both directions. NASCAR's new chase format? How insulting to call that garbage a championship!!!!
I love this forum. Good advice from real track rats.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:26 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Well, I was hoping to ignite some pride in Corvette in general and Corvette Racing in particular but I'm afraid I failed miserably. While there certainly are glimpses of that pride in those who post such as the indomitable cor123, for the most part there is little mention nor celebration of the end of the season CHAMPIONSHIP won by both Chevrolet as a manufacturer or the Corvette Racing Car #4 of Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner. This is what I'm talking about! Not the pathetic coverage or TV schedule of fox (purposely lower case) or the almost indecipherable commentary by the announcers. Unfortunately these are now a given. Where is the crowing over beating the high priced entry of the longtime GM nemesis FORD? How about beating the Euros of BMW, FERARRI, or the dreaded PORSCHE? No, none of that, not a peep. I for won am proud of the incredible effort Doug Fehan and the entire Corvette Racing Team put forth on our behalf. Yes, America still builds rocket ships and you and I drive them. 🇺🇸
Most of us are here to drive our own car not talk about watching other people have fun.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:17 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts
Default viva Corvette!

The best Corvette race I ever watched was about 1970 at the Glen. The Sam Feinstein 427 AC Cobra vs Kemp's wicked fast 427 Corvette vs a very fast group 44 12 cylinder Jag. The racing was fierce, constant lead swapping. In the end, the Jag shifter broke off, and the wicked 427 Cobra won the desperate struggle, as I recall. Now, the socialized, equalized racing has less appeal by comparison. Besides, I'd rather spend my days on earth on my own car and tracking it. Proud? Damn Straight--when the little C5Z eats the high buck, high HP, heavy modern cars, it's hard to suppress Corvette pride. But, I'd be way behind where I am if it wasn't for some fantastic guys on this forum who generously share their expert knowledge, and love of road racing.
rfn026 (10-25-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 04:32 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
I am a member on many road racing pages on Facebook, even a Corvette Racing page.

I knew about it with a quickness.

When you see the "BOP" neuter the Corvette team after they have put in YEARS of hard work and basically GIVE races to Ford and the GT team, who wants to watch that crap? Or keep up with it?

To the OP, this forum is primarily for owners who ACTUALLY use the Corvette for it's intended purpose.

Corvette "news" is elsewhere on this forum.
I guess you told me! I am sorry for being ignorant of the purpose of this forum. I thought it was for those who were interested in such things as racing and winning and such. I didn't feel it was necessary to give my credentials. While I'm apologizing I must confess my ignorance as to just what you are claiming is the intended purpose of the Corvette. I guess I will just have to look elsewhere for Corvette owners showing pride in our car winning its 100th race this year along with the Drivers Championship and the Manufacturers Championship along with the Endurance Championship. Thanks for the tip to look elsewhere in Corvette "news". I guess all the posts in the recent past about upcoming races at Daytona, Sebring, Long Beach, Laguna Seca, Le Mans, Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Canadian Motorsports Park, Road America, VIR, COTA, and Petite Le Mans (to name a few) were posted in error on this site as were the many comments of each. I'll look in Corvette "news" to read more.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:42 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lrobe22
Most of us are here to drive our own car not talk about watching other people have fun.
The two are not mutually exclusive. I have driven my Corvettes over 200,000 miles to many tracks and enjoyed running on some of them with such organizations as Track Masters and Bob Bondurant School of High Performance but really that doesn't matter. We all enjoy our Corvettes and I'm happy to have rankled some about our current Corvette Racing Team which does us all proud in spite of BOP, FOX, and other road blocks put in their way. As Doug Fehan says "Without a strong fan base there would be no Corvette Racing." Excuse me now while I go check the "news".
Old 10-22-2016, 04:44 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
You blaming everybody else for a thread about it not being here?

What were you doing?

Why didn't you post it instead of expecting someone else to?
I did post it and got the expected reaction. Thanks for living up to my expectations.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:12 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

The two are not mutually exclusive. I have driven my Corvettes over 200,000 miles to many tracks and enjoyed running on some of them with such organizations as Track Masters and Bob Bondurant School of High Performance but really that doesn't matter. We all enjoy our Corvettes and I'm happy to have rankled some about our current Corvette Racing Team which does us all proud in spite of BOP, FOX, and other road blocks put in their way. As Doug Fehan says "Without a strong fan base there would be no Corvette Racing." Excuse me now while I go check the "news".
Sure you don't drive a Ford???? You seem to be butthurt like the typical Mustang owner.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 10-22-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:15 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

You sir, win the intranet today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-22-2016, 05:20 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

What an inane response.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:31 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY

You sir, win the intranet today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thank you sir. when are you going to nola again? we are trying for november nasa.

sdurg, i have to reiterate what fatboy said earlier about BoP. It taints the purity of competition between manufacturers. example - it's hard to be proud of today's ford gt program when the other cars are so restricted to meet BoP. It certainly isn't in the ballpark of ford's gt40 story.

couple that with the gm vs. lg motorsports stories and it is hard to muster any support for corvetteracing.

Last edited by 64drvr; 10-22-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:46 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

thank you sir. when are you going to nola again? we are trying for november nasa.

sdurg, i have to reiterate what fatboy said earlier about BoP. It taints the purity of competition between manufacturers. example - it's hard to be proud of today's ford gt program when the other cars are so restricted to meet BoP. It certainly isn't in the ballpark of ford's gt40 story.

couple that with the gm vs. lg motorsports stories and it is hard to muster any support for corvetteracing.
I'm going next weekend to a PCA De and race weekend, slight possibility I'll make the NASA event in Nov.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:22 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
No doubt Fox didn't cover it skipped out for nascar qualifying
That is why most of us are disgusted with coverage
Originally Posted by YYZ06
I was watching using the Fox Sports Go app on my phone through AppleTV. The last 45 minutes of the race were totally pixelated and the audio cut out so bad it was pretty much unwatchable. I restarted both the phone and AppleTV to no avail. Fox Sports had a similar issue, which they corrected, in the middle of the broadcast but must have felt it wasn't worth it to correct the signal for the last 45 min. It sucks to invest over nine hours into a broadcast only to be basically dumped at end of the event. Fox Sports Sucks!
I am completely with you guys...it took me a week to quit bitching about fox.
The thing is they have had a habit of doing this kind of stuff with the series.
I hope the Powers-That-Be take it away from the network and put it somewhere where fans, and the series itself, are respected.

Well, I was hoping to ignite some pride in Corvette in general and Corvette Racing in particular but I'm afraid I failed miserably. While there certainly are glimpses of that pride in those who post such as the indomitable cor123, for the most part there is little mention nor celebration of the end of the season CHAMPIONSHIP won by both Chevrolet as a manufacturer or the Corvette Racing Car #4 of Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner. This is what I'm talking about! Not the pathetic coverage or TV schedule of fox (purposely lower case) or the almost indecipherable commentary by the announcers. Unfortunately these are now a given. Where is the crowing over beating the high priced entry of the longtime GM nemesis FORD? How about beating the Euros of BMW, FERARRI, or the dreaded PORSCHE? No, none of that, not a peep. I for won am proud of the incredible effort Doug Fehan and the entire Corvette Racing Team put forth on our behalf. Yes, America still builds rocket ships and you and I drive them. 🇺🇸
Thank you...couldn't agree more.

No GT1/GTLM manufacturer or team has come anywhere close to matching Corvette Racing's success during the last 20 years.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorspo...ates-100-wins/
sdurg24 (10-23-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 12:33 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Watching racing is sort of boring.

If I'm not on the track or working in the pits I get bored. I think that may be the feeling that others have. Especially when you look at the TV ratings.

This forum is great for those of us who do a lot track events and actually race. It's probably not a great place for spectators.

I think a lot of interest was lost when they went to BoP. Corvettes can't be too fast or they get adjusted. If Porsches are slow compared to the Corvette they get adjusted. The goal is to keep all the manufacturers happy. IMSA/NASCAR really doesn't care about us.

This lack of interest just isn't with Corvettes. I'm also a member of PCA and I can't think of the last time I heard a discussion about IMSA racing at a PCA meeting. Now track events are a whole different story.

IMSA is participant funded so the boys in Daytona see no need to make sports car racing actually interesting. As long as BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, Ford and GM write big checks they don't need any of us.

This is more fun than watching a race on TV

Richard Newton
Historic Racing Images
Bad_AX (10-23-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To So this is a road racing forum?

Old 10-24-2016, 12:12 AM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I am certainly no fan of BoP. I also do respect your opinion re. GM vs LG. I attend 6-7 IMSA/WeatherTech races every year. It gives me an opportunity to drive thousands of miles in my many Corvettes and to see and visit with like minded people. In just this past year I bet I saw about 2,000 Corvettes in the various Corvette Corrals I attended. Saw a lot of Corvette Racing victories. That was enjoyable to me. For sure not as fun as doing laps at Watkins Glen or Bondurants school but just another way of using my Vette to it's fullest potential. When I drive from NH to Watkins Glen to run laps for 2 days and then get in my Corvette for the drive home with cruise control and iPod music on the Interstate I surely know why I own "America's Greatest Sports Car. Thanks Corvette Racing.
sunsalem (10-24-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 10:30 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
Watching racing is sort of boring.

If I'm not on the track or working in the pits I get bored. .
Yea, really.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:21 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Steve said it so much better....

sunsalem (10-28-2016)

Quick Reply: So this is a road racing forum?