Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 tires for autocross and occasional road course

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 03:31 PM
Corvette_D
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default C6 Z06 tires for autocross and occasional road course

Last night I posted something similar in the C6 Z06 section, but a few people suggested I should post here.

My car currently has the OEM Goodyear tires on it, and they left me quite frustrated when I did an autocross. I was sliding all over the place, especially bad on my first runs in a set when the tires were cold. I honestly wonder if I was faster in my C5 Z06 that had Nitto NT05s.

Anyway, I've been looking for an extra set of tires and rims for autocross only and maybe a track day here and there. I definitely don't want to get Hoosiers or tires like those because I still have a lot to learn and don't want to mask my mistakes by getting such sticky tires. Here appear to be the top choices with stock rims and my opinions about them:

1. Michelin Pilot Super Sports
These appear to be the best choice, but for some reason I'm wondering if there is something better for autocross/track days
2. Bridestone Potenza RE-11
These seem alright, but what bothers me is that Bridgestone already has newer compounds for this tire. I believe they not only replaced these with an RE-11A but also yet again with an RE-71R. Too bad the RE-71R doesn't come in the stock sizes.

And what about people getting 11x18 and 13x18 rims? Where are they getting these rims? I understand I would have a much better tire selection if I got those size rims, but I don't know where I would shop for them. However, if they're going to be like 2k+ for the rims, then I'm not interested.

I also see people somehow getting Nittos on the stock rims, but I can't find any for sale that are new. Same with other types of tires like Toyos. Anyone know where to get these other tires? I mostly look on Tirerack and Discount Tire. I actually had to check the Nitto website, and there I saw that NT05r and NT01s come in stock sizes. When I called discount tire, they said they didn't come in those sizes until I told them to check the website. I am now waiting for them to call me back about this so I can get some pricing.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:02 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

The end of the season is the wrong time to be buying tires. If your Goodyears are not bald learn how to drive on them. In another few months the new season's tires will be out and all the "which one is best, which one fits" will be totally new again.

That said..... you're not the first person to ask this question. It's been asked, and answered and answered and answered..... Please do some reading though this forum. It'll help.

And why are you hung up on stock sizes? Consider that if an RE-71 at 305/19 is stickier than a stock sized tire why not consider it? When you get off the idea of just using stock sizes your options open.

Also compound. Why do you care that the RE-11 has had a compound change? Last years compound is not next years compound. This year's Rival is not next year's. Refusing to buy something because they upgraded it in that past just makes no sense at all.

Your profile doesn't say where you are from, but for a lot of people the season is wrapping up for the year and there will soon be no more racing. If you are in the same boat and you can stick it out with what you have, you'll find that the spring will normally bring a whole new array of tires to consider, generally better than what is available (and not on back order) now.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:30 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

My suggestion is to buy another set of 10.5X18 stock (rear) C5Z wheels and buy a decent street tire (Michelin PSS or equal) for that, and buy Scrub slicks from Forum Vendor GT Racing Tires, to mount on your 2nd set of wheels, for the track. Note: GT Racing tires "used tires" are cheap, you are only buying them to save your expensive street tires for the street, and the most efficient use of your money is for SEAT TIME.
The following users liked this post:
Corvette_D (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 04:35 PM
Corvette_D
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
The end of the season is the wrong time to be buying tires. If your Goodyears are not bald learn how to drive on them. In another few months the new season's tires will be out and all the "which one is best, which one fits" will be totally new again.

That said..... you're not the first person to ask this question. It's been asked, and answered and answered and answered..... Please do some reading though this forum. It'll help.

And why are you hung up on stock sizes? Consider that if an RE-71 at 305/19 is stickier than a stock sized tire why not consider it? When you get off the idea of just using stock sizes your options open.

Also compound. Why do you care that the RE-11 has had a compound change? Last years compound is not next years compound. This year's Rival is not next year's. Refusing to buy something because they upgraded it in that past just makes no sense at all.

Your profile doesn't say where you are from, but for a lot of people the season is wrapping up for the year and there will soon be no more racing. If you are in the same boat and you can stick it out with what you have, you'll find that the spring will normally bring a whole new array of tires to consider, generally better than what is available (and not on back order) now.
I didn't know new tire compounds come out so often since I see many people still using tires that came out years ago (unless, for example, an NT01 that was made two years ago will have a different compound than one made next year, which I believe isn't the case). I live in Southern California, so I can drive all year.

I have done a ton of searching already on this topic, but I didn't find a lot of threads that were current. I didn't know if some tire sizes were discontinued because, like my original post said, I can't figure out where people are still buying these new Nitto NT01 tires, for example, so old posts don't help.

I'm not really hung up on stick sizes, I just didn't know how much smaller I could go on stock rims. It's nice to know that I could run RE71Rs on stock rims, which is probably the route I will rake.

About the compounds, I was wondering if there were newer compounds that are better, and you answered that by confirming that I can use the RE71Rs on stock rims.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:46 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

All the info you got was spot on if you are running for trophies or to get to Nationals. If not buy anything to get off those old GYs. Not only old but no good when they were new. Your choices are good....MPSSs or Bridgestone in non RF. Go buy them.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:09 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

R888s. And I happen to have a brand new set of rear fit for a ZO6 for sale. But really I would recommend these tires.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:11 AM
jw1
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

For autocross RE71R would be my first choice. MPSS second.

I AX'd on R888s one season and hated them. Might be a decent track tire, but on the AX course they are not competitive.

Last edited by jw1; 10-19-2016 at 02:11 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:12 AM
Corvette_D
Instructor

Originally Posted by jw1
For autocross RE71R would be my first choice. MPSS second.

I AX'd on R888s one season and hated them. Might be a decent track tire, but on the AX course they are not competitive.
You have stock C6 Z06 rims or rim sizes? Which size tires do you use exactly for the RE71Rs?

Last edited by Corvette_D; 10-19-2016 at 02:13 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:55 PM
Conesmacker
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Assuming you have front 18" dia x 10.5" wide and rear 19" dia x 12" wide stock rims, the tire choice is mixed. 2010+ Grand Sports, z06, and zr1 are widebody cars, and use the same ultra wide rims to get over the J56 brakes.

The rear 325/30/19 OEM size is not made in the currently 2 best auto-xing tires - the BfGoodrich Rival S or Bridgestone RE71r.

Front rim availability of both those 2 tires is fine...they're easy to come by.

You either have to downsize the rear rim to a 18" dia x 12" wide, and run the Rival S in the 335/30/18 size, OR downsize the rear rim to a 19" dia x 11" wide to run the RE71r in the 305/30r19 size.

Check out these threads.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-for-gs.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...27-as-c6z.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...l-options.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...l-spacers.html

Last edited by Conesmacker; 10-19-2016 at 01:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 tires for autocross and occasional road course

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 tires for autocross and occasional road course