Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6Z06 Rear trans/Diff cooling

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 02:21 PM
1badtantrum
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Default C6Z06 Rear trans/Diff cooling

Any thoughts on which way the airflow is at the rear fascia of a C6Z06 while moving? If speed matters, help me with what changes when.
I have removed the heat load from the front (radiator) of the car and moved it out back. I've seen several race cars with a fan setup to blow out the rear tub/fascia of the car. So I gave this a try. I'm getting trans temps of close to 300 degrees (OBD2 data) the diff is not measured so I'm not sure if the diff contributes (adds) significant heat to the heat exchanger. I can't believe this set up is worse than the factory radiator side tank, small heat exchanger bolted to the trans for diff. Unless of course I have the air flow wrong. If there is higher pressure outside the fascia than inside the car at the rear, I'm trying to blow air out fighting the air coming in and my net flow may be low. I'm going to experiement with this this weekend. I want to stop experimenting with all my changes and drive the car :-) Rear Trans/Diff heat exchanger thoughts?
Old 10-20-2016, 02:54 PM
heavyzee
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

to ask the dumb question, are you sure your pumps are moving the fluid the correct direction from the bottom of both the tranny and diff?
Old 10-20-2016, 04:39 PM
HULLY
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have fought this same issue.

At a fairly low speed air flow reverses and tries to flow back in the car.

I added a naca duct on each side of the deck lid and forced enough air through with the help of fans to cool mine.

Originally Posted by 1badtantrum
Any thoughts on which way the airflow is at the rear fascia of a C6Z06 while moving? If speed matters, help me with what changes when.
I have removed the heat load from the front (radiator) of the car and moved it out back. I've seen several race cars with a fan setup to blow out the rear tub/fascia of the car. So I gave this a try. I'm getting trans temps of close to 300 degrees (OBD2 data) the diff is not measured so I'm not sure if the diff contributes (adds) significant heat to the heat exchanger. I can't believe this set up is worse than the factory radiator side tank, small heat exchanger bolted to the trans for diff. Unless of course I have the air flow wrong. If there is higher pressure outside the fascia than inside the car at the rear, I'm trying to blow air out fighting the air coming in and my net flow may be low. I'm going to experiement with this this weekend. I want to stop experimenting with all my changes and drive the car :-) Rear Trans/Diff heat exchanger thoughts?

Old 10-20-2016, 05:21 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Old 10-20-2016, 05:37 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

Subed
Old 10-21-2016, 09:40 AM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Generally the rear fascia of a car will be one of the lowest pressure areas on the car, for obvious reasons. At lower speeds though, that may not be the case, as Hully mentioned.

There's been a ton of analysis and CFD run on these cars though.

I don't think the C6R and C7R would have coolers there if they didn't work.

I'm fairly sure they don't have any ducts running to that cooler from the top of the car either. Not sure if maybe they pull from somewhere else though.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:09 AM
1badtantrum
Instructor

The C6R race car was the origination of my implementation. Execution is flawed on my part..The NACA duct, perhaps a bigger cooler/fan and duct work. I think I have the plumbing headed in the right direction but I will check.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:03 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

If I recall correctly, the fan you see in the rear of the C6.R& C7.R Corvettes is for the A/C condenser. I run an oil cooler in that location and feed it from two NACA ducts mounted on the deck lid but never needed a fan. My oil temps are so low on cool days that I worry about them being TOO low. Once the car is moving there is more than enough flow to cool the huge Fluidyne NASCAR oil cooler.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:47 AM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Two NACA ducts direct feed into fan/cooler enclosure works for me. The fan is switched on the dash so I can turn it on after warm up lap.
Attached Images   
Old 10-22-2016, 02:01 PM
1badtantrum
Instructor

Yooper...Wow just wow. I like it. Might be a winter project. Did you also lean your radiator forward? Do you have a separate cooler for the power steering?
Thanks!
Old 10-22-2016, 05:39 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

That is the rear of his car.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:58 PM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Yooper...Wow just wow. I like it. Might be a winter project. Did you also lean your radiator forward? Do you have a separate cooler for the power steering?
Thanks!
Yes, I did lean the (Ron Davis Racing) radiator forward and the power steering fluid is plumbed to a small cooler in the radiator.

The engine oil cooler is located in front of the radiator. On cold track days I have taped off half of the engine oil cooler and brake duct opening for optimum temps.

My C5 is a track only car and I may have gone bigger than needed on fluid cooling, but it adjustable.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:47 AM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Originally Posted by Hi Volts Z06
If I recall correctly, the fan you see in the rear of the C6.R& C7.R Corvettes is for the A/C condenser. I run an oil cooler in that location and feed it from two NACA ducts mounted on the deck lid but never needed a fan. My oil temps are so low on cool days that I worry about them being TOO low. Once the car is moving there is more than enough flow to cool the huge Fluidyne NASCAR oil cooler.
That may be correct... I know on the LG car they put the AC condenser in the rear of the car.

Originally Posted by yooper
Two NACA ducts direct feed into fan/cooler enclosure works for me. The fan is switched on the dash so I can turn it on after warm up lap.
Mmmmmm meeee liiiiike. Might have to copy some of this.

Originally Posted by yooper
Yes, I did lean the (Ron Davis Racing) radiator forward and the power steering fluid is plumbed to a small cooler in the radiator.

The engine oil cooler is located in front of the radiator. On cold track days I have taped off half of the engine oil cooler and brake duct opening for optimum temps.

My C5 is a track only car and I may have gone bigger than needed on fluid cooling, but it adjustable.
So you're running the power steering in the radiator, and the trans and diff coolers are at the rear?
Old 10-25-2016, 03:52 PM
1badtantrum
Instructor

Yooper, Have you tested and collected trans or diff temp data with your new cooler setup?
Just finished two days at VIR with 70-75F ambient and I hit 305 on the trans fluid temp...yikes. I have the winter to come up with rear cooling and rear diffuser.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:53 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I've had good results putting small fan pack coolers behind the rear brake cooling ducts.

The fans are hooked up to an inline thermostatic switch that turns on at 190 degrees - after a session the fan on the trans cooler is usually going - the one on the diff is only on when it's 90+ degrees outside.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:40 PM
heavyzee
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Trunk Area of the Corvette Racing GTLM C7R

The rest of the air from the side scoops is sent through these ducts to a rear mounted radiator. Mounted next to the central duct appears to be a Peterson oil tank that has had to be modified; a notch was welded in to allow sufficient clearance for the tank to fit next to the horizontal bar.

Last edited by heavyzee; 10-27-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:44 PM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Originally Posted by heavyzee

The rest of the air from the side scoops is sent through these ducts to a rear mounted radiator. Mounted next to the central duct appears to be a Peterson oil tank that has had to be modified; a notch was welded in to allow sufficient clearance for the tank to fit next to the horizontal bar.
Excellent picture there. I couldn't see those ducts from the few that I've collected.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:23 PM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Yooper, Have you tested and collected trans or diff temp data with your new cooler setup?
Just finished two days at VIR with 70-75F ambient and I hit 305 on the trans fluid temp...yikes. I have the winter to come up with rear cooling and rear diffuser.
Make sure your fan is not reverse. Fan needs to push air out through the cooler. not pull it in. Works a lot better if you enclose the cooler as shown and duct external air through the cooler with the square area of air intake being smaller than square area of air exiting the cooler/car.

I have RPM enhanced transmission and differential with built in pumps. The pumps are working whenever the car is moving. If running early on a cold day I may not turn the fan on at all. Never had high trans or diff temps.

As Joel mentioned, the electric pumps with thermostat are nice and effective. I don't like the noise of the pumps running after shutting down the car.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:04 AM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Originally Posted by heavyzee

It appears as though that horizontal bar is actually the sway bar...

Get notified of new replies

To C6Z06 Rear trans/Diff cooling

Quick Reply: C6Z06 Rear trans/Diff cooling