Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 24 Hours of Le Mans

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 06:17 PM
ljw
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2017 24 Hours of Le Mans

My wife and I will be visiting France next June, and we're planning on attending the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Has anyone here ever been? If so, what advice or suggestions would you offer?

Thanks
Old 10-21-2016, 09:00 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

Went this year, get good seats, it gets cold, get a air bb in the city, takes about 15 minutes to get there. Good walking shoes, go the day before and the day of if possible. Go to the drivers parade in downtown Lemans. Buy tickets well in advance, if you want good ones, probably now.
The following users liked this post:
ljw (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 01:13 PM
ljw
Cruising

Originally Posted by c5racr1
Went this year, get good seats, it gets cold, get a air bb in the city, takes about 15 minutes to get there. Good walking shoes, go the day before and the day of if possible. Go to the drivers parade in downtown Lemans. Buy tickets well in advance, if you want good ones, probably now.

Thanks for the info. We're arriving in France the Thursday before the race and planning on heading straight to Le Mans. Did you do anything with the Corvette Corral there?
Old 10-22-2016, 08:16 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by ljw
My wife and I will be visiting France next June, and we're planning on attending the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Has anyone here ever been? If so, what advice or suggestions would you offer?

Thanks
Walking shoes plus wet weather gear, as it always rains and is usually cold at some point. I would also try to make plans for some type of rest during the long night...sleeping bags or whatever.
ljw (10-24-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 09:00 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default LeMans

If you want to do it 1st class:

http://www.project100.com

Contact Stuart

Did it this year. Was one of the best experiences I have ever have.
His friend has property adjacent to Mulsanne straight.
We were within 5ft. of cars on Mulsanne at approx. 200 mph.
24-7 /all the food and liquids (of all types) you can consume.
You are eating with all the top teams.
Had lunch with Johnny O'Connell and spent time in the #57 Corvette Team garage with Johnny and rest of team.

Access to everything. Almost no place you cannot go.

You can also customize it to fit your needs.

You cannot put $ on the experience. If you could, it would still be
worth it. All of the staff is 1st class plus.

Myself and another Corvette racer (George Smith) took our wives and
it worked for all parties.

J.R.
ljw (11-30-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 02:16 PM
mbeckers
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I went in 2015. I stayed at the track in one of the nicer camp grounds run by Travel Destinations. The group that ran the campground were a great group of people and bent over backwards to make sure we had everything that we needed. I arrived on Friday and left Monday morning.

As everyone else mentioned you can plan on it raining during some portion of your stay so bring wet weather gear. Also, comfortable shoes are a must. I probably walked about 20 miles over the 24 hour period. The whole experience was awesome and is a must for the road racing enthusiast.
ljw (11-30-2016)
Old 05-17-2017, 05:11 AM
OIF2XVET
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ljw

Thanks
Hi, this will be my wife and my 3rd time attending the event. We just booked our tix last night. We will be staying at the corvette coral (Camping) with our C6. The site has moved this year but if you are interested I can give you more details. However, for a small fee they have food, drinks and a banquet on Saturday night. Last year before the parade the drivers came out and signed autographs, took pics, etc. Also we usually caravan to the parade as several of the Corvettes participate in the parade. Again if you want more details please let me know.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:58 AM
ljw
Cruising

Thanks OIF2XVET. We're actually going through the Corral as well, but without our Vette. We've done the Corvette Corral a couple times here at Circuit of the Americas, so I looked to see if there's one for Le Mans. The gentleman who runs it has been extremely helpful and I can't say enough about him.

See you there!

Originally Posted by OIF2XVET
Hi, this will be my wife and my 3rd time attending the event. We just booked our tix last night. We will be staying at the corvette coral (Camping) with our C6. The site has moved this year but if you are interested I can give you more details. However, for a small fee they have food, drinks and a banquet on Saturday night. Last year before the parade the drivers came out and signed autographs, took pics, etc. Also we usually caravan to the parade as several of the Corvettes participate in the parade. Again if you want more details please let me know.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:53 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Man...you guys make me envious.
Le Mans is one of my bucket list items....
Old 05-17-2017, 02:02 PM
OIF2XVET
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ljw
Thanks OIF2XVET. We're actually going through the Corral as well, but without our Vette. We've done the Corvette Corral a couple times here at Circuit of the Americas, so I looked to see if there's one for Le Mans. The gentleman who runs it has been extremely helpful and I can't say enough about him.

See you there!
Great! I assume you are talking about Gerard. He is amazing. Well it looks like you are on the right path so I will leave you to it. If you need anything let me know. Otherwise we will see you there. We will be driving the 2012 Centennial Edition Grand sport with Italian plates.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:55 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Man...you guys make me envious.
Le Mans is one of my bucket list items....
Me too!
Old 05-21-2017, 05:18 PM
ljw
Cruising

Yes, Gerard has been very helpful in planning this trip. I can't say enough about him.

Originally Posted by OIF2XVET
Great! I assume you are talking about Gerard. He is amazing. Well it looks like you are on the right path so I will leave you to it. If you need anything let me know. Otherwise we will see you there. We will be driving the 2012 Centennial Edition Grand sport with Italian plates.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:35 PM
oemtech
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 116 Posts

I will be making the trip with the Corvette Museum tour. There will be 45 of us showing up on the 9th of June.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:19 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I attended the 2003 event (which coincidentally featured a pre-race 50th anniversary parade lap of about 100 Corvettes). I watched the start from Tertre Rouge where the cars rounded the corner only a few feet away and accelerated with incredible noise down the Mulsanne Straight. The Ford Chicane was a great place to witness glowing brake rotors, and the area inside the Esses offered a long, unobstructed view of cars carrying amazing speed through the corners. Camping inside the circuit near the Dunlop bridge was fantastic; exhaustion finally set in around 3am and falling asleep to the sound of wailing engines was surreal. Have a great time!

ljw (05-22-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 04:03 AM
OIF2XVET
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by oemtech
I will be making the trip with the Corvette Museum tour. There will be 45 of us showing up on the 9th of June.
That's great! Here is a picture of last years NCM group at the Coral with the drivers.

2016 NMC Group photo

Last edited by OIF2XVET; 05-24-2017 at 04:41 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:08 AM
OIF2XVET
Melting Slicks

Default Grand stand seating

BTW for anyone attending that wants some great seats, a section just opened up above pit lanes, 100 meters from the start/finish line and 50 yards from the podium. They are selling for only 95 euros (GREAT DEAL). Link is below.

https://ticket.lemans.org/mon-supplement-tribune-auto

The seats are located in Tribune 34. See you all there!
Old 05-24-2017, 01:12 PM
oemtech
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 116 Posts

Another FYI...
They have made a movie about Steve McQueen and his relationship with racing and LaMans. They will be doing a radio broad cast from La Mans.

At last!" "About time!" "Can't wait!"

are just few of the comments we heard upon our return last week. And the one question on everybody's lips was...when is STEVE McQUEEN: THE MAN & LE MANS being released?

Well, we're absolutely thrilled to tell you that the UK release of the film on DVD, Blu-Ray and download will be....

MONDAY 5TH JUNE!

Why, it's Sunday 18th June - the same weekend as the Le Mans 24hr race! We'll be working with Radio Le Mans to bring you coverage of the historic race as it unfolds.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:20 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

STEVE McQUEEN: THE MAN & LE MANS is available now at Amazon.com for $25.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:43 AM
MickP
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by oemtech
Another FYI...
They have made a movie about Steve McQueen and his relationship with racing and LaMans. They will be doing a radio broad cast from La Mans.

At last!" "About time!" "Can't wait!"

are just few of the comments we heard upon our return last week. And the one question on everybody's lips was...when is STEVE McQUEEN: THE MAN & LE MANS being released?

Well, we're absolutely thrilled to tell you that the UK release of the film on DVD, Blu-Ray and download will be....

MONDAY 5TH JUNE!

Why, it's Sunday 18th June - the same weekend as the Le Mans 24hr race! We'll be working with Radio Le Mans to bring you coverage of the historic race as it unfolds.
I got Le Mans from Netflix in May of 2015. It got me missing my first Vette (1977) so much it was then I started my quest for my C7 which ended on August 19, 2015!

P.S. Just put this at the top of my Netflix queue...

Last edited by MickP; 05-25-2017 at 12:45 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 24 Hours of Le Mans

Quick Reply: 2017 24 Hours of Le Mans