Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA Time Trial - 2017 Anybody else doing it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 06:40 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default NASA Time Trial - 2017 Anybody else doing it?

I've given it some thought and I've decided to enter my 2012 bone stock Grand Sport street car in NASA TT for 2017.

The goal is to have a true street car, no modifications save brake pads and lower UTQG tires enter and run the season. I "may" consider harnesses/seats/harness bar, but that's about it.

Opinions? Any other TT racers in here??

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 10-23-2016 at 06:40 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:32 AM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

I'm doing tt1. In the interest of safety, I would recommend a good FIA seat and a harness.

Last edited by c5racr1; 10-23-2016 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Auto correct
Old 10-23-2016, 10:40 AM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
I've given it some thought and I've decided to enter my 2012 bone stock Grand Sport street car in NASA TT for 2017.

The goal is to have a true street car, no modifications save brake pads and lower UTQG tires enter and run the season. I "may" consider harnesses/seats/harness bar, but that's about it.

Mike
Where do you think it will class TT2, TT3?
Old 10-23-2016, 11:00 AM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Mike
If you want to have fun then have a ball. If you want to win tires and a $7 trophy you're gonna have to spend some cash, depending on your region. Where are you located?
Old 10-23-2016, 11:26 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

I'm thinking TT2, but we'll have to see.

I'm in Virginia. I plan to have fun. This isn't my first rodeo in competition driving/racing. We own a couple BMW racecars that we race AER/Chumpcar with. I'm just trying to get a little more time in between.

Mike

Originally Posted by z06801
Where do you think it will class TT2, TT3?
Old 10-23-2016, 02:37 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

If your just planning on having fun then absolutely go for it. But please go in with the understanding that, unless your a ringer, You may not be competitive by any means in NASA-MA in TT2 or TT3 with the set up you described. However I do recommend TT as you gain far more experience than HPDE in my opinion.

Last edited by Toilets; 10-23-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:05 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

I instruct with about 9 different clubs. This more of a "giving it a shot for a year" to check off the box. If I am not competitive, so be it.

Mike

Originally Posted by Toilets
If your just planning on having fun then absolutely go for it. But please go in with the understanding that, unless your a ringer, You may not be competitive by any means in NASA-MA in TT2 or TT3 with the set up you described. However I do recommend TT as you gain far more experience than HPDE in my opinion.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:46 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Mike,

PM me on FB if you want to know the ins and outs. I have a document that describes proper TT processes and etiquette.

-Kevin
The following 2 users liked this post by brkntrxn:
Mikelly (10-24-2016), Silver -V- (11-08-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 08:46 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Doing in in the FL region and dabble in the SE region. as everyone else said, unfortunately for numbered TT classes, you need a fully prepped car to be truly competitive, but otherwise, TT is a boatload of fun to me, and easier on the car overall!
The following users liked this post:
Mikelly (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 01:30 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default document?

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
Mike,

PM me on FB if you want to know the ins and outs. I have a document that describes proper TT processes and etiquette.

-Kevin
Might you consider sending me the same document? I live in Northern Ca. and took a two year break from HPDE events here with NASA and Northern California Racing Club. My last two years of the six that I had participated was in the top HPDE classes that many times included the TT group. Now that I'm setting my car up for the 2017 season, your document sure could be helpful.
thanks
dirk
Old 10-24-2016, 09:10 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I plan on TT with NASA Mid-Atlantic& SE in 2017.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:35 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

I'm thinking TT2, but we'll have to see.

I'm in Virginia. I plan to have fun. This isn't my first rodeo in competition driving/racing. We own a couple BMW racecars that we race AER/Chumpcar with. I'm just trying to get a little more time in between.

Mike
You'll have fun for sure! Your a driver and will be competitive. Do you miss your Porsche turbo?
Old 10-28-2016, 12:47 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
Might you consider sending me the same document? I live in Northern Ca. and took a two year break from HPDE events here with NASA and Northern California Racing Club. My last two years of the six that I had participated was in the top HPDE classes that many times included the TT group. Now that I'm setting my car up for the 2017 season, your document sure could be helpful.
thanks
dirk
Norcal is a great region for time trial. The people are super friendly and helpful. They will explain everything for you. In general you want to stay close to the car in front of you on the out lap so they can bunch up the field. Don't spread out on the out lap as it will result in less clean laps for everyone. You will be gridded by lap times so theoretically you won't need a big gap between your car and the one in front of you. Don't pass the car in front of you on the outlap. Once you are on the hot lap then it's game on. In the Socal region they don't allow passing on the first hot lap either. Obviously if the car in front of you makes a mistake and is off the pace then I would pass. If you are done with your laps, don't do a cool down on the track. Hustle the car around the track and then get off so you don't mess up anyone else's fast laps. Have fun next year!
Old 10-29-2016, 11:07 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Default TT doc

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
thanks
dirk
Send me your email addy.

~Kevin
Old 11-03-2016, 09:48 PM
mp4659
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

for what you want to do, i think you would really enjoy the optima ultimate street car series. you have to run 200 tw tires and the overall vibe is one of "fun" rather than competition. Nasa TT, seats, rollbar, harnesses, good brake pads and sticker hoosiers and you can be competitive enough to have fun but depending on your region be prepared to run against cars with much higher level of prep
Old 11-04-2016, 09:59 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
I have a document that describes proper TT processes and etiquette.
I probably need a refresher. Send it to me too.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:33 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Mike I doubt you will have much fun in TT. The sessions are shorter (partially due to the 3-5 minute super slow out lap) and with a stock GS you will be running with about TTB or TTC who will be all over you in the corners and in the meetings (lol). Assuming you mean stock tires and all. However, the other TT2 guys will appreciate the extra person to help meeting contingency requirements.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:37 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Originally Posted by sperkins
I probably need a refresher. Send it to me too.

Ummm, no. I want people at the TT meeting to cuss at you.

Get notified of new replies

To NASA Time Trial - 2017 Anybody else doing it?

Quick Reply: NASA Time Trial - 2017 Anybody else doing it?