Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Aluminum Seat Coming Soon - You'll Love the Installation!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 01:32 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Default New Aluminum Seat Coming Soon - You'll Love the Installation!

We're still tweaking the design, but our new aluminum seats will sit in a base with a series of holes. A number of the holes in the base will have captive nuts attached to the outside. You will easily be able to position the seat to the desired legroom position and install with grade 8 button head cap screws from the inside. You would also be able to reposition the seat without having to remove it from the car.

The seat combines great support with ease of entry and exit. We are developing an upholstery pattern that will keep the sides independent of the center. This way, people who need maximum width can have either thinner foam on the sides or no upholstery at all. Multiple widths will be available. The shell design will also make it easy for it to be wrapped in vinyl like carbon fiber for those who prefer a custom look.

Email me if you wish to be kept updated!
Old 11-12-2016, 03:23 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

Very interested!
how thick of padding are you planing? more or the same as kirkleys?

will it require a braced to the back/upright portion like the kirkleys?
Old 11-12-2016, 03:45 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Old 11-12-2016, 03:47 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Will it be strong enough to get by without a back support? The Kirkey and Ultrashield seats need back supports fastened to something solid in the car so they don't collapse backwards when the occupant's body rebounds toward the rear from the harnesses at the end of an incident.

Bill
Old 11-12-2016, 03:53 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Doesn't the SCCA require a back support on all seats?

Richard Newton
Safe Seating
Old 11-12-2016, 04:13 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Will it be strong enough to get by without a back support? The Kirkey and Ultrashield seats need back supports fastened to something solid in the car so they don't collapse backwards when the occupant's body rebounds toward the rear from the harnesses at the end of an incident.

Bill
There is nothing special about the 5052 aluminum used on these seats so they would require the same precautions.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:11 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

@Marrad - have these been stress/crash tested? Are they FIA or SFI certified?
Old 12-09-2016, 03:19 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dapopa9
@Marrad - have these been stress/crash tested? Are they FIA or SFI certified?
No to both questions.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:31 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by marrad
There is nothing special about the 5052 aluminum used on these seats so they would require the same precautions.
5052 is a general panel grade AL and is not strong and soft.
I would at least use a 6061 grade, preferably a 6066
Old 12-09-2016, 04:57 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rbl
5052 is a general panel grade AL and is not strong and soft.
I would at least use a 6061 grade, preferably a 6066
5052 is what is used by Kirkey, Ultrashield and any other aluminum seat company we are aware of.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:37 PM
danh52
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

They use 5052 because it's easier to bend and weld. 6061 is great for machined parts.

Strength is relative, you design based on material properties and use what's required.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:47 PM
danh52
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

A little more research.

6066 seems to be used for forgings, castings and extrusions like tubing.

6061 Most common used for structural, welded structures, machined parts. Not easily formed.

5052 Most commonly used in sheet metal construction such as truck bodies. Very easy to weld
Old 12-10-2016, 04:49 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

You can see below what we are working on for the Miata first, since it is one of the hardest cars to fit seats in. I posted this on a Miata forum and after we get that project done I will look at brackets for the C5/C6.

The base will look something like below, with a series of built in nuts on the outside. I want to get at least 6" of adjustability in it and still have a wide span of attachment on the sides. I will probably design it so the base can bolt to floor rails in two locations.

Button head bolts will be used from the inside. You can see that the seat back sits inside the seat bottom and overlaps around the lap belt openings. The sections bolt together and are .25" thick in that area. Then you will have at least 2 grade 8 bolts going through both sections and into a steel bracket. Most seats have just 2 bolts through side mounts on each side but you can add as many as you like with this.

More to come as more sample parts get made!
Old 12-11-2016, 05:18 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Will this allow the typical lapbelt bracket in the 2 rear bolts like most of us use?
Old 12-12-2016, 08:58 AM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Will this allow the typical lapbelt bracket in the 2 rear bolts like most of us use?
Are you referring to a bracket like the Vetteworks part below?

http://www.vetteworksonline.net/cata...products_id=58

The seat would work with those but there may be some conflicts of interest. This seat is designed for those wanting a seat that sits low to the floor. The seat would likely hit the bracket if you had longer legs and wanted the seat to install past the rear floor bolts. Since the base will be made from one piece of steel wrapping the seat bottom some people may decide to enlarge one of the unused holes to 7/16" and bolt lap belts on the sides.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:18 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by marrad
No to both questions.

Do you have plans to have these certified? If not, I am not sure to what extent your target market may be able to use them. Even for DEs, if there is a fixed race seat in the car, it is usually necessary to have a certified seat.

I like the idea of super flexibility in mounting and adjusting, so don't take my questions the wrong way.

-Kevin
Old 12-12-2016, 09:45 AM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
Do you have plans to have these certified? If not, I am not sure to what extent your target market may be able to use them. Even for DEs, if there is a fixed race seat in the car, it is usually necessary to have a certified seat.

I like the idea of super flexibility in mounting and adjusting, so don't take my questions the wrong way.

-Kevin
I have read of events requiring that a seat that is not FIA certified be back braced and there are numerous adjustable back braces available.

We are not after hard core racers. We are more trying to meet the needs of people who need to sit lower in the car, want more support than the stock seats and the ability to wear a harness if needed.

Get notified of new replies

To New Aluminum Seat Coming Soon - You'll Love the Installation!

Old 12-12-2016, 09:58 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn

-Kevin
I've never seen a DE check seats, mounting or certification.

To Marrad:

I made a similar setup, I mounted a Kirkey directly to a Planted mount and I use the lap belt bracket you linked. My seat is pretty far back in a C5, about 3 inches from the bulkhead in the rear.

IMO you should make this seat to be compatible with this bracket as this is what most street/HPDE guys use. Seems to me you will sell more of these seats to street/HPDE/Autocross guys like me.

I put the planted bracket and lap belt bracket with belts in the car, then bolt the seat in and then slide the cover on.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 12-12-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:28 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I've never seen a DE seat check either. I would be in trouble since my FIA certification is out of date.

What was interesting was the the NASCAR drivers had a little trouble going from aluminum to carbon fiber. They all claimed the feel was different.

I'm not sure I could tell the difference.

Richard Newton
How Hot Are Your Brakes?
Old 01-26-2017, 01:33 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

I haven't designed brackets for the Corvette yet but the 16" wide seat for the Miata will look like below. All the upholstery will install and remove with velcro. We will work on suede and leather panels soon. It is more designed for people who don't want to climb in and out of a racing seat for daily driving but need better support than stock and more headroom. I have some 17" versions coming and will provide more info and pictures showing installation when I can.

Quick Reply: New Aluminum Seat Coming Soon - You'll Love the Installation!