Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Formula One - Abu Dhabi - TV Times (U.S.)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 09:45 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
Every response you have about Hamilton is tempered by your strong dislike of him; to the point that it damages your credibility.
My credibility??? You must be mistaking me for Walter Cronkite.

Every response that *every* person has to *everything* is tempered by their opinions and experiences. Trying to use the facts of life as some sort of verbal weapon is silly at best.

I think Hamilton is a smug, arrogant, whining, self-centered brat. He's a champion by virtue of scoring points but not a bit by virtue of character. That said, he's an exceptional race driver. He's exceptional enough that he doesn't need to be an ***hole to cement his legacy. That's the trap that he and Schumacher and Senna fall/fell into stemming from an apparent, and strange, lack of true self-confidence and a lack of class. See Sterling Moss or Jackie Stewart, for just two of many examples to the contrary.

Hamilton is a race car driver. They happen to be damn competitive people; that's how they get to be driving a race car. Lewis had the race under control from the start and the only way for him to try and win the WDC was to 'back up' Rosberg to the extent that Vet, Ves and Ric came into play.
Yeah, I get that. But thanks for reminding me.

That Hamilton would want to "win" the championship via such a chicken-s**t tactic is the point here.

At no time did Lewis drive in an unsafe fashion.
What does THAT have to do with anything? Are you saying that anything is valid on track so long as it isn't unsafe?

I never said that what he did was illegal or unsafe. I say it shows he hasn't the personal ethics and/or class to match his driving skills.

Any true champion would have done the same
What a sad statement that is. I feel sorry for you. A true champion not only would NOT do it but would speak out against those who do/would. "It's how you play the game", remember?

especially some of the others you've mentioned who most certainly would have tried to get Rosberg 'taken out'. Something Lewis didn't come close to doing.
Yeah. Sure. Whatever.

Congrats to Nico; some great driving this season, but he would have been second in the WDC again if Hamilton's car didn't suffer from a series of problems early in the season.
Ah, the Hamilton apologists. Woulda, shoulda, coulda. #sorelosers

Z//

Last edited by Zoxxo; 11-28-2016 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:08 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Nico on being told he had to pass Verstappen: "That was not a nice thing to hear. Critical to pass Verstappen? That was a horrible feeling!"

Z//
Old 11-28-2016, 02:24 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
"And then there's Schumacher's "crash the car at Monaco to stop qualifying" BS.
I remember that well...complete Horse Poop and MS at his worst.

Once they got to the last lap he *could* have let Vettel through with little chance for Verstappen to follow (MV seemed either played out or wounded after Vettel took him.)
True, but MB/Nico didn't know that at the time.

Hamilton's slow pace earlier in the race meant Rosberg briefly fell behind Verstappen and was forced to make a decisive overtaking manoeuvre to keep his championship challenge on track. Rosberg said it was one of the best passes of his career as he went wheel-to-wheel with the teenager through both apexes of the chicane.

"Oh for sure it was great. Definitely a great one, fair play to him also. He went full on aggressive, he didn't give an inch, as usual but fair play. We didn't collide and I got by. It felt amazingly good. It was an awesome feeling at the time. So intense, unbelievably intense, never felt anything like that in the car before."
NOBODY wants to have Max directly in front OR directly behind.

Toto: "Lewis, we've sold your contract to the Manor team for $35 and six free oil changes..."
LOL.

That Hamilton would want to "win" the championship via such a chicken-s**t tactic is the point here.

Nico on being told he had to pass Verstappen: "That was not a nice thing to hear. Critical to pass Verstappen? That was a horrible feeling!"

No doubt...

Last edited by sunsalem; 11-28-2016 at 02:25 AM.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:51 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/me...ethink-854829/

It ought to force an employee rethink. I find it beyond understanding that an employer paying an employee the amount of money that Mercedes pays Dr. Araganto* continues to tolerate his nonsense. He's accused them of conspiracy and of favoritism. He's publicly defied them more than once. He questions their strategy decisions in public. It makes Mercedes look like fools and represents them to the public very poorly to say the least.

Z//

*see season 4 episode 4 of Big Bang Theory
Old 11-28-2016, 08:33 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Here's what I don't understand about this whole issue with Rosberg and Hamilton: Why did the team issue orders at all? The constructor's championship was long sewn up, and it's been stated more than once (paraphrasing) that "we're going to let them race, as long as they don't take each other out." The driver finishing positions were also long settled as 1-2, and supposedly there are no favorites between the two drivers.

So why the orders? The only reason that makes any sense to me is that Merc *did* have a favorite, in this case Rosberg. If that's the case I can see why Hamilton would be rebellious. If that's NOT the case then Merc needs to explain to Hamilton why they issued those orders.

Have a good one,
Mike
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (11-28-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 09:49 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

I think Hamilton is a smug, arrogant, whining, self-centered brat.
Z//
You think better of him than I do.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:38 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Here's what I don't understand about this whole issue with Rosberg and Hamilton: Why did the team issue orders at all? The constructor's championship was long sewn up, and it's been stated more than once (paraphrasing) that "we're going to let them race, as long as they don't take each other out." The driver finishing positions were also long settled as 1-2, and supposedly there are no favorites between the two drivers. Imagine either driver doing the same thing to his teammate at any other race in the season...

So why the orders? The only reason that makes any sense to me is that Merc *did* have a favorite, in this case Rosberg. If that's the case I can see why Hamilton would be rebellious. If that's NOT the case then Merc needs to explain to Hamilton why they issued those orders.

Have a good one,
Mike
The fact that the constructor's championship was already decided isn't really the issue. Merc is in this game to *win* *races* and from that POV this was just another race. So long as they were still going to get a 1-2 finish, then all was fine re: whatever the drivers did. But once that result was under threat - and even more on point - *artificially* under threat due to unnecessary and selfish actions by one of their drivers, then the "let them race" idea loses out to corporate goals.

Wolff explained it yesterday:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wo...se-win-854598/

And Adam Cooper told a more complete story this morning:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ra...wn-854925/?s=1

Z//

Last edited by Zoxxo; 11-28-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:39 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

And then there's this:
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns35400.html

Gee, Carlos Sainz says he would do it, too. Color me stunned! Not.

Z//
Old 11-28-2016, 03:02 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

I find it beyond understanding that an employer paying an employee the amount of money that Mercedes pays Dr. Araganto* continues to tolerate his nonsense. He's accused them of conspiracy and of favoritism. He's publicly defied them more than once. He questions their strategy decisions in public. It makes Mercedes look like fools and represents them to the public very poorly to say the least.
Absolutely right on the money.

It helps to understand WHY Mercedes is in F1 to begin with.
For them, it is all about marketing.
The image and prestige is something to help burnish the brand and increase profits on roadcar sales...their bread & butter business.
They are not a strict racing company, like Williams, for example.
Also, they have made it plain they won't guarantee their F1 Team will exist after 2020.

LH has constantly been a PITA for management.
He has been warned MANY times in the past.
A brilliant driver, but a self-centered child who now has decided he is in charge of the racing team, not the current Management.
As Toto Wolff pointed out, it's "anarchy."
This will not play well in the Board of Directors conference room in Stuttgart.

I won't take odds on whether or not they pull the plug on Hamilton.
The amount of money involved is pretty insignificant for a company the size of MB.

I, for one, wouldn't be completely surprised if Pascal Wehrlein is Nico's teammate next year.
And, if so, I wouldn't be surprised if MB wins the Manufacturers Championship again.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:24 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 734 Likes on 544 Posts

RE: Driver's character:
I don't know enough about Sterling Moss' personal or professional life to comment, but as for Jackie Stewart... if you read his book then you know, without question or hesitation, that he is the absolute finest, best, most wonderful, most supremely talented, greatest gift to all of motor racing ever created. If not to the entire human race.
I vomited for an hour.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:08 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I won't take odds on whether or not they pull the plug on Hamilton.
The amount of money involved is pretty insignificant for a company the size of MB.

I, for one, wouldn't be completely surprised if Pascal Wehrlein is Nico's teammate next year.
And, if so, I wouldn't be surprised if MB wins the Manufacturers Championship again.
It's been interesting to watch how Wolff and Lowe have excused Hamilton's act over and over again. (It takes Wolff about 8 seconds to "be of two minds".) I can't really tell if they believe what they are saying, if they are trying to moderate it all in order to set up Toto's defense for the next BOD meeting or if it's just a standard ploy fed to the press to calm things until they get the drivers into the woodshed for their proper beating. I dunno. For sure they will refuse to "try the defendant in the media" and rightly so.

There has to be a hefty amount of "we're already committed up to our eyeballs with this clown" reality to all this. Sacking Hamilton would be an admission of (expensive) failure - something that no one in the corporate world does lightly. Could they easily replace him with another driver who could win them the championship again? Sure. (Hulkenburg would have been the obvious choice.) Do they really *want* to do so given all the factors involved? Unknown.

The other variable in all this is that next year's cars force another major change on the whole field and could (probably will?) once again upend the pecking order. Now that the power units have come reasonably close to parity the new rules move the pendulum back towards aero as a/the major determining factor for overall performance and we all know what Adrian Newey can do. So maybe that works in Hamilton's favor - that extra one-to-two tenths that he can bring to the game won't be tossed aside lightly. Momentum is a powerful thing; better the devil you know and all that.

Z//
Old 11-29-2016, 01:16 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nowanker
RE: Driver's character:
I don't know enough about Sterling Moss' personal or professional life to comment, but as for Jackie Stewart... if you read his book then you know, without question or hesitation, that he is the absolute finest, best, most wonderful, most supremely talented, greatest gift to all of motor racing ever created. If not to the entire human race.
I vomited for an hour.
LOL!

It's been interesting to watch how Wolff and Lowe have excused Hamilton's act over and over again. (It takes Wolff about 8 seconds to "be of two minds".)
I noticed that too.

I can't really tell if they believe what they are saying, if they are trying to moderate it all in order to set up Toto's defense for the next BOD meeting or if it's just a standard ploy fed to the press to calm things until they get the drivers into the woodshed for their proper beating. I dunno. For sure they will refuse to "try the defendant in the media" and rightly so.

There has to be a hefty amount of "we're already committed up to our eyeballs with this clown" reality to all this. Sacking Hamilton would be an admission of (expensive) failure - something that no one in the corporate world does lightly. Could they easily replace him with another driver who could win them the championship again? Sure. (Hulkenburg would have been the obvious choice.) Do they really *want* to do so given all the factors involved? Unknown.

The other variable in all this is that next year's cars force another major change on the whole field and could (probably will?) once again upend the pecking order. Now that the power units have come reasonably close to parity
This year MB still retained approx. a half second per lap advantage.
Considering how well they began the era of the hybrid powerunit, no reason to think they won't have the superior unit again next year.

After all...they've had a lot of time to prepare.

the new rules move the pendulum back towards aero as a/the major determining factor for overall performance and we all know what Adrian Newey can do.
It is going to be EXTREMELY interesting to see what he comes up with next season.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:51 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Toto Wloff has only to say THIS to say to Hamilton: "We will give you a "reliable" car to race. You will NOT ever hit your teammate! If you do, then your car will become "less realiable." Got that?
Old 11-29-2016, 02:20 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

I ran across this earlier this morning. I'd missed it when it was originally posted right after Brazil. This is Wil Buxton's take on Verstappen's "amazing" performance in the rain. Very interesting.

https://willthef1journo.wordpress.co...rily-ordinary/

He also has this op-ed piece on Racer.com re: the changing cars for 2017. As usual, he leaves out a key element driving the rules changes which is that the fans don't like the current format (remember all that stuff about "entertainment" and "the show", Wil?) but it is an interesting read nonetheless.

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints...portunity-lost

Z//
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (11-29-2016)

Quick Reply: Formula One - Abu Dhabi - TV Times (U.S.)