Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 brake pads for racing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 05:36 PM
Aaron's-coupe
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default C4 brake pads for racing?

I am in the process of building a endurance racing C4 and have a question regarding our brakes.

We have upgraded our front brakes to C5 brakes and the rears are stock.

The plan is to race in some chumpcar races at Sebring and Daytona, so we want to be able to stop and they need to last the whole event (12-14hrs). What pads should I be looking at?
Old 12-01-2016, 10:58 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Aaron's-coupe
I am in the process of building a endurance racing C4 and have a question regarding our brakes.

We have upgraded our front brakes to C5 brakes and the rears are stock.

The plan is to race in some chumpcar races at Sebring and Daytona, so we want to be able to stop and they need to last the whole event (12-14hrs). What pads should I be looking at?
What tire will you be using? Carbotech has 2 options depending on your tires.

Carbotech™ XP24™

XP24™ is the pinnacle compound of the extremely successful XP™ Series of compounds engineered by Carbotech™. This compound is based on the same fundamentals that exist in all other Carbotech™ formulations. XP24™ has even more initial bite, more overall bite, and more torque along with the most linear torque curve we have ever offered. The thermal characteristics are of the highest Carbotech™ offers along with one of the highest coefficient of friction ratings offered by anyone in the braking industry. This compound is the longest wearing compound Carbotech™ offers as it was originally engineered for endurance applications at the highest pro racing levels. This revolutionary new compound has been extremely successful with open wheel, closed wheel, sprint and endurance applications. XP24™ has a temperature range of 400°F to 2000°F+ (204°C to 1093°C+). Carbotech™ XP24™ is NOT recommended for use as a daily driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise along with the necessary heat required to work properly.

Carbotech™ RP2™

The RP2™ compound was engineered for endurance racing based on our highly successful XP™ Series formulations. RP2™ has strong initial bite, a little less modulation than our XP12™, but still maintains the rotor friendliness of our XP™ series compounds. RP2™ has great fade resistance with a temperature range of 250°F to 1450°F+ (121°C to 787°C). RP2™ is as rotor friendly as our XP™ series compounds. Carbotech™ RP2™ is NOT recommended for use as a daily driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 12-01-2016, 01:55 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

I would consult with a brake expert regarding your requirements. If you're going to be racing in an Enduro type event, I would think about 1.25" rotors in order to handle that type of heat being generated from pro long use. I think you're going to have some brake fade problems with OEM brakes even with the C5 calipers on the front.

I am using the 1.25" 14" rotors with 6 piston calipers on my C4 and they do not generate the heat like the PBR brakes did.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:02 PM
Aaron's-coupe
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We planned on running the Nitto NT05. This looks like the only tire I can find that will come in the 315/35R17 for the rear and still be close to the tread wear rating we are limited to. We can not go below a 190 tread wear for the series we plan on running in.

Again we are also restricted on our brakes as well as we can not go out and buy fancy big brake kits as they will not fall in our class requirements.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:30 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I ran Chump Car for three years. You do not want to change brake pads during the race.

That means you want a really hard pad. And thick. Talk to Wilwood or Pagid.

Caution your drivers about late braking. They should not do that. Ever. Chumps is about endurance. Save the Car Save the Car. Make your drivers repeat that 25 times before you allow them into the car.

We even got a trophy

Richard Newton
Brake Temperatures
Old 12-01-2016, 10:12 PM
Josh67
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We used the RP2 on our lemons car. The pads worked great all weekend. We did warp our rotors. Our car was a sentra SER not a corvette. Be sure to make some ducting to get air to the rotor (we didn't).
Old 12-02-2016, 10:24 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Aaron's-coupe
We planned on running the Nitto NT05. This looks like the only tire I can find that will come in the 315/35R17 for the rear and still be close to the tread wear rating we are limited to. We can not go below a 190 tread wear for the series we plan on running in.

Again we are also restricted on our brakes as well as we can not go out and buy fancy big brake kits as they will not fall in our class requirements.

With those tires I would use the RP2. XP24 is to much for the tire. If interested let me know and I will get you pricing info.

Carbotech™ RP2™

The RP2™ compound was engineered for endurance racing based on our highly successful XP™ Series formulations. RP2™ has strong initial bite, a little less modulation than our XP12™, but still maintains the rotor friendliness of our XP™ series compounds. RP2™ has great fade resistance with a temperature range of 250°F to 1450°F+ (121°C to 787°C). RP2™ is as rotor friendly as our XP™ series compounds. Carbotech™ RP2™ is NOT recommended for use as a daily driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:17 PM
Rexracer77
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Having run Chumpcar, I completely agree with Richard, it doesnt matter how fast you are if you are broken in the pits. Learn the limits then drive at 8/10ths max.

I used Porterfield R4-Es on our car, and got 3-4 events in before needing to replace.

SOmething like RP2 Adam lists above would be great as well.

As far as tires, I would pick up some cheap C5 wagon wheels and use C5 sizes, 245-275 fronts and 285-315s in rear. Then you can run Rival S's or RE-71s.

I use the 315 square on my track corvette, but run R888s/NT01/R6s, i would give up some width to gain tire choice options.

Last edited by Rexracer77; 12-06-2016 at 04:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 brake pads for racing?

Quick Reply: C4 brake pads for racing?