Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forced Induction

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 01:30 AM
travis1746
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Forced Induction

I have a C6Z with an ecs kit on E85 that I want to autocross and do some hpde events. With an aftermarket radiator, fan setup and vented hood will the supercharger still produce too much heat? Should I cut my losses and sell the supercharger kit and fuel system? Thank for the replies and I apologize if this has been beaten to death before.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:37 AM
conradb
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Forced induction and racing just mean added complication, lower reliability, and heat management issues.

The stock C6Z BHP is more than enough power-to-weight for road racing and auto-X. If you REALLY need more BHP than what you have without the SC, consider a new cam/valves/head setup and keep it NA instead.

I don't know if the C6Z comes with an oil radiator, but it's highly suggested. I just installed a double-pass Mishimoto oil rad on my C5Z with stock 405BHP because oil temps go crazy on this thing, even with aftermarket racing alum rad.

Last edited by conradb; 12-08-2016 at 01:38 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:47 AM
travis1746
Instructor

Thanks for the reply, it does have a stock oil cooler that is separate from the radiator and works fairly well. I was trying to avoid tearing the whole thing apart to go back n/a but that might not be the smart thing to do in this situation.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:29 AM
zrtman1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Never have autocrossed but have been doing hpde. '99 C5 with A&A YSI & forged LS3.

With E85 you should be ok with IAT's I would think. You will have to bring fuel with you to the track (a lot of fuel) as no track that I know of carries E85. Make sure whoever tuned it did not max out the tune/or tune it on the edge.

If your a beginner track it as is with stock oil cooler and just keep an eye on it. You will be short shifting and learning track/lines and not using the power. I was shifting at 5000 for first couple events.

As you get faster you will need a big oil cooler (I use a 72 row) and external trans and dif coolers. I use a ZR1 6060 box with a C6Z diff. In process of adding bigger cooler for trans. Power makes heat no doubt.

Search through the forced induction sections... I know there is at least a couple in the C5 section that have been doing hpde for years.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:25 AM
chpmnsws6
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Put a good Radiator in it, make sure your condenser is clean, and seal up the duct work to force air through the coolers. A hood will help.

This is an ls2 at 630rwhp with the mods described above. Zero issues autocrossing. Also went on NCM for a bit without issue.
Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2016, 04:22 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

I autocrossed my C5 ZO6 for a couple years on 100% stock cooling with an A&A system at 638rwhp. Autocross is no big deal, the runs don't last very long. HPDE track days are a whole different story. The car was a 3-lap wonder, even on my very first track day. I would hit 270F oil temps short shifting and just trying to learn the track.

You'll need some impressive cooling and VERY good brakes (AP Racing style) to harness that heat and power.

zrtman1: I'd love to hear about your whole setup, cooling methods, and oil/coolant temps. Oil cooler, trans/diff coolers, fuel cooler, brakes, any body modifications for airflow, etc. Feel free to PM me if you think it's beyond the scope of this thread.

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 12-08-2016 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:53 PM
travis1746
Instructor

Thanks for all the replies and good information. This car might be more than I can handle even short shifting with over 800 at the wheels.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:02 PM
chpmnsws6
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Look at a wastegate setup to turn the power down.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:23 AM
zrtman1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
I autocrossed my C5 ZO6 for a couple years on 100% stock cooling with an A&A system at 638rwhp. Autocross is no big deal, the runs don't last very long. HPDE track days are a whole different story. The car was a 3-lap wonder, even on my very first track day. I would hit 270F oil temps short shifting and just trying to learn the track.

You'll need some impressive cooling and VERY good brakes (AP Racing style) to harness that heat and power.

zrtman1: I'd love to hear about your whole setup, cooling methods, and oil/coolant temps. Oil cooler, trans/diff coolers, fuel cooler, brakes, any body modifications for airflow, etc. Feel free to PM me if you think it's beyond the scope of this thread.
Sure- no problem

Dewitts cut down and spal setup. I have sealed up all ducting to radiator very very well including top plate from A&A and intake tubing. Factory oem '04 waterpump. Water temp 208 max so far on track.

Setrab 72 row behind front plate - front plate opened up. Remote filter (51061R). Most I have ever seen was 240. I can add ducting if needed later.

Headers wrapped to crossover and wrapped over axle.

All fuel lines wrapped and using the tunnel plate with heat barrier. Walbro main pump with BAP at 3psi and a 44 that comes on at 5psi.

'Big Red' race bov.. super noisy but sure does dump a lot of air.

Rear diff is C6Z with mocal/earls cooler and stock pump - I just clocked to fit C5. In process of trans cooler right now. ZR1 box has internal pump which is nice. I run the stock oil temp to trans and use autometer gauge for actual oil temp.

Wilwood 14" aero6 with poly H. Rear is C6 Z51 with hawk 60. Has way more brake than tire right now.

FYI I am still only a novice and still on street tires. But can go a full 30min session no problem with heat. I do keep it 3500-5500rpm on most of track but also making 600whp at 5000rpm. Long straights its 6800 at least for a few gears. Car is stupid fast even with under spun YSI.

I think Breecher in the C5 FI section runs a YSI on the track/hpde and has a lot more experience than I do.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:22 AM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 136 Posts

zrtman, if you're still around... what belt system did you use for your YSI?
6/8/10 rib? secondary drive?

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2018, 07:52 AM
zrtman1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NSFW
zrtman, if you're still around... what belt system did you use for your YSI?
6/8/10 rib? secondary drive?

Thanks!
8 Rib secondary drive
Old 07-17-2018, 09:58 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

I have been on track with an 1100 rwhp Z06, the car had all the cooling mods done but it was no issue and quit fun. The way you keep your temps at bay is to not bring it to red line constantly and keep it a gear higher than you normally would N/A. The car is making so much power anyway that you have more on tap in mid forth gear than an N/A car does at the top of third.

It actually made it feel very uneventful, yet you're constantly passing everyone.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:36 AM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

If it's a centrifugal blower, you'll have less problems than I did with a roots blower. I had an external oil cooler and dewitts radiator ..so the fluids were in check, but the heat produced in the engine bay were too hot. Produced problem after problem. The hood vents will only help remove the heat after the car has been sitting, won't do anything at speed IMO.

This year I decided to pull the blower, and the car is super reliable now. You'll do as you want just like I did, but my personal advice if you plan to road race is to get that thing out of there and keep it NA for reliability. I lost way too much track time and car spent a lot of time in the shop because of that blower. After I removed it and put better tires on, I actually turned faster laps. Just sayin'

Last edited by BigMonkey73; 07-17-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:57 PM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 136 Posts

I'm tempted to try an Si or maybe Ti blower with a wastegate. So for non-track days it'd run meth and typical boost levels, but for track days it would run minimal boost (3psi?), so no need for meth, and just a small amount of extra power, heat, and headaches.

Not sure if practical, but it sounds good on paper...

Get notified of new replies

To Forced Induction

Quick Reply: Forced Induction