Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A run of really bad luck

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 03:38 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
Nice save on the last failure. That could have been so much worse.

You wouldn't be the idiot in hindsight with the engine situation, if anything was your builders mistake keeping damaged pistons in there. If he said you should replace them, I'd wager a bet you would have addressed the problem in one way or another.

I'd pick a new builder. LG Motorsports and Doug Rippie could build you what you want. Then have a local guy install and tune it.
Yeah, but I should have insisted on better inspection methodology like magnafluxing the rods and dye checking the pistons. I guess I trust people too much.

It's tough picking a engine builder; everybody has an opinion of who's good and who's bad. That alone is enough to make me want to just stick with the LS376/525.
Jim
Old 12-21-2016, 03:41 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Aw crap - sorry to hear about that, Jim!

Go skiing for a few weeks and maybe you'll forget about it for awhile and feel better!

Bob
Hi Bob,
Skiing out this winter - too busy with relocating to North Georgia.
Make a couple of runs for me!

Jim
Old 12-21-2016, 03:43 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Put another 525 hp LS3 in the car, pull the crap stock springs off and put some PAC springs on it and go run it.

Or buy a low mile take out LS2 or LS3, put the ASA cam in it with some PAC springs and go run it.

I think the PAC 1218X will work but check and see.
That's the plan. I really wanted more horsepower but my chief advisor says to just just the right petal more.

Jim
Old 12-21-2016, 03:46 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by bigmackloud
I feel your pain man. I lost my motor at the same event at VIR. My car has sat in the garage since then. I've barely looked at it. I really really really don't want to go through the engine building hassle / expense. and I just don't have the $$ to just drop it off at a shop, so I'm going to have to do a lot of the work myself.

I went through this with my supercharged Mustang (615rwhp). Oil pump failed, lost the motor. Had a reputable race engine shop do the short block. But apparently they didn't get the clearances right because by 1500 miles it lost all oil pressure again; every main bearing was trashed. Full rebuild again, and then sold the car. (all forged internals both times). I lost thousands of $$ in those motors, plus almost a year of being able to drive and enjoy my car. It was a scarring experience. Thus why I'm dreading working on my C5.

Bourbon seems to help tho.
Jack Daniels and I have become good friends.
Jim
Old 12-21-2016, 03:50 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
Nice, but by the time I get done relocating to GA, I may be broke, very, very broke. And then if my wife saw the price tag on that motor, there could be some other things that would get broke.

Jim
Old 12-21-2016, 03:56 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by froggy47
Sorry, thanks for posting, I had ASSUMED those crate motors were a "good deal". Not so much, eh.
I think they still are a good deal for someone like me. I really don't drive that hard, I usually short shift 5-5500 RPM and usually have a student riding along. My best recent lap time for VIR full is 2:08.
And there's the three year warranty....

Jim
Old 12-21-2016, 04:01 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Crate motors are great for guys like us, BUT you need to change to better valvesprings for track duty.

If you have aero and slicks you need to look into a dry sump.
I'm running the ARE 4-stage dry sump system with a Spintric, dual oil coolers, remote filter and a total of 13 friggin' oil lines. All of that stuff now has to come out of the car and sent back to ARE and to the ultrasonic cleaner vendor for service. That's about $1400 if the pump is not damaged.

Jim
Old 12-21-2016, 06:46 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Jim,
Sorry to hear about all of these challenges. I was a passenger in your car in Pittsburg, it was about as fast as i've ever gone, hope your able to get it going again.

Dan
Old 12-22-2016, 12:03 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

PM sent.
The following users liked this post:
jlutherva (12-24-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 07:22 AM
cre8fun
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

hey Jim,

We've talked. you know I'm in the same boat. I did reach out to Danny Popp (corvette guru in Cinci). he did offer help, but getting in contact with him and getting in his cue is rough/next to impossible.

I talked with Anthony at LG a lot. he said right off the bat that if I use the GM crate, he would want to change the valve train. he did not trust the crate valve train for a track only car. he actually said he would take the base LS3 crate motor (which is cheaper), then replace the cam, push rods, valve springs etc. with the LG kit. he felt that was a proven valve train for what we will do with the car. That is likely the way I will go. he said he could build the motor and ship it to me or I can send the car and they'll do the install.

in your case, you may have another option. since you've already got the LS3 in the car, you don't need everything that comes with the crate motor. you really just need the long block. possibly look into a place like Texas Speed or Golen. for the cost of the crate motor, they may be able to build you a forged long block. Then once you're in Atlanta there are number of shops that can help with the install part. if you went that route, you are leaving the engine building to people who focus on that for a living and then just having local a shop just swap out your long block.

Oh, I know you are placing a lot of weight on the GM warranty for the crate motor. I had heard that when push came to shove and you have a claim for a track only install, GM was not paying out. if you make your decision based heavily on the warranty, you might want to poke around and verify that they will honor a failed motor when used for track.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:36 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I'm really sorry to hear about your troubles Jim. I sure hope you don't hang up your helmet as the paddock won't be the same without your smiling face.

I bet we all have had years like that where is seems like everything breaks on the car. I started referring to my C6Z as the "Millennium Falcon" because it was very fast when running but it seemed like I always had to fix something. In the end we got it all sorted out.

Have you reached out to Jason at Katech? They certainly know their stuff and have always treated me fairly.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:00 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I'm really sorry to hear about your troubles Jim. I sure hope you don't hang up your helmet as the paddock won't be the same without your smiling face.

I bet we all have had years like that where is seems like everything breaks on the car. I started referring to my C6Z as the "Millennium Falcon" because it was very fast when running but it seemed like I always had to fix something. In the end we got it all sorted out.

Have you reached out to Jason at Katech? They certainly know their stuff and have always treated me fairly.
Schwanke race engines is also a good source of info.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 12-23-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:27 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Are we getting ASA motor and crate motor confused?

The ASA engines had a lot of unique parts. Here's a link the ASA engines.

Richard Newton
Old 12-23-2016, 02:01 PM
cre8fun
Instructor

I think for purposes of this thread we are referring to the LS376/525 crate engine noted below as ASA because it says it has the ASA camshaft in it:

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance...ls376-525.html

I don't think anyone is referring to the purpose built ASA racing motor.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:32 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by cre8fun
hey Jim,

We've talked. you know I'm in the same boat. I did reach out to Danny Popp (corvette guru in Cinci). he did offer help, but getting in contact with him and getting in his cue is rough/next to impossible.

I talked with Anthony at LG a lot. he said right off the bat that if I use the GM crate, he would want to change the valve train. he did not trust the crate valve train for a track only car. he actually said he would take the base LS3 crate motor (which is cheaper), then replace the cam, push rods, valve springs etc. with the LG kit. he felt that was a proven valve train for what we will do with the car. That is likely the way I will go. he said he could build the motor and ship it to me or I can send the car and they'll do the install.

in your case, you may have another option. since you've already got the LS3 in the car, you don't need everything that comes with the crate motor. you really just need the long block. possibly look into a place like Texas Speed or Golen. for the cost of the crate motor, they may be able to build you a forged long block. Then once you're in Atlanta there are number of shops that can help with the install part. if you went that route, you are leaving the engine building to people who focus on that for a living and then just having local a shop just swap out your long block.

Oh, I know you are placing a lot of weight on the GM warranty for the crate motor. I had heard that when push came to shove and you have a claim for a track only install, GM was not paying out. if you make your decision based heavily on the warranty, you might want to poke around and verify that they will honor a failed motor when used for track.
I stopped by the shop to check out the damage. I don't have much left. One head and possibly the new valve springs that were just installed, the intake and the throttle body.

I'm not spending much time right now considering all of the rebuild options. I am wondering about several things:

1. What would have happened if I would have been turning 6000 RPMs?
2. Why did the flames come out of the hood vents? The oil pan had a small hole in the middle. Why didn't the flames just go under the car?
3. Why was there no oil on the track? I guess there's just so little oil in the dry sump pan?
4. Why was there no antifreeze on the track. There were holes on both sides of the block.

I put the car to bed for the winter or at least until I get done moving.

Merry Christmas!
Jim
Old 12-24-2016, 10:37 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by Poor-sha

Sean,
Even if I sell the car, I'll still be around. Assuming the relo goes OK, I'll be 45 minutes from AMP, 2 hrs from Rd. Atlanta, 3 hrs from Barber and 5 hrs from NCM MSP.

Maybe I can satisfy my addiction with instruction only
Merry Christmas,
Jim
Old 12-25-2016, 11:56 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Sorry to hear that man. You would think after your VIR and RD ATL wrecks you would be due for some good luck. However, it is a tough addiction to break. Just got my $11K forged motor in and 6 sessions in it has already blew the rear seal. I was a little disheartened at putting that kind of money into a motor that you can't run over 4500rpms - but your situation is making me feel a little better if that is any consolation lol! Good luck with rebuild and hope to see you out on the track again.

Johnny

Get notified of new replies

To A run of really bad luck

Old 01-09-2017, 01:03 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Has anyone used a Blueprint Engine? They offer a fully dressed, stroked LS3 427 CI that puts out 625 HP and 565 ft-lbs of torque. I has forged Scat crank and I-beam rods with forged Mahle pistons. It comes with 30 month/50k mile warranty that allows non-competitive HPDE events.
Price is $11,500.

Thoughts?

Jim
Old 01-09-2017, 01:26 PM
cre8fun
Instructor

Originally Posted by jlutherva
Has anyone used a Blueprint Engine? They offer a fully dressed, stroked LS3 427 CI that puts out 625 HP and 565 ft-lbs of torque. I has forged Scat crank and I-beam rods with forged Mahle pistons. It comes with 30 month/50k mile warranty that allows non-competitive HPDE events.
Price is $11,500.

Thoughts?

Jim
Jim - where do you see that motor?

Also, I would wonder if using a stroked motor is a good idea for road race application. since the motor will spend a lot of time 6K and above, the additional stroke adds a lot of piston velocity (thus crank,rod and bearing stress).
Old 01-09-2017, 08:01 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by cre8fun
Jim - where do you see that motor?

Also, I would wonder if using a stroked motor is a good idea for road race application. since the motor will spend a lot of time 6K and above, the additional stroke adds a lot of piston velocity (thus crank,rod and bearing stress).
http://blueprintengines.com/index.ph...es-psls4272ctf

I just went thru each of my sessions for VIR, Road Atlanta, Watkins Glenn, Palmer Motorsports,Pitt Race, and Mid Ohio for last year and looked at my max RPMs for the fastest laps for each session. Only at The Glen did I exceed 6000 RPM and that was consistently coming down the Laces into the Toe of the Boot. There I hit as high as 6349 RPM. Everywhere else, my shift point were in the 5500-5800 range.

I've asked for the dyno curves. You'll see the cam specs on the above web site.

Jim

Quick Reply: A run of really bad luck