Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sway bar end link spacer question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 11:45 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Default Sway bar end link spacer question

Im installing T1 sway bars that I picked up used. I bought new gmpp end links and they included sleeve spacers. Is there a right or wrong way to put these together? This pic is the rear end link loose fitted together. I'm guessing it's all about keeping the link as close to the lca and sway bar as possible without having any binding or interference.

Name:  image-2286124146.jpg
Views: 2170
Size:  454.5 KB
Old 01-08-2017, 12:57 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

the spacers look backward because you usually have the larger spacers on the inside (in between the bar or control arm), however in some situations, the shorter spacer works better (usually on the front). The ideal thing is to keep the swaybar neutral and without preload.

The endlinks should be set up with the car on a level surface and so the joints are all parallel with the sway bar tabs or control arm tabs unless you want to preload the suspension

Last edited by el es tu; 01-08-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:28 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
the spacers look backward because you usually have the larger spacers on the inside (in between the bar or control arm), however in some situations, the shorter spacer works better (usually on the front). The ideal thing is to keep the swaybar neutral and without preload.

The endlinks should be set up with the car on a level surface and so the joints are all parallel with the sway bar tabs or control arm tabs unless you want to preload the suspension

Usually long spacer near the bar. You may want to source different length spacers other than "the ones that came with" to get a better fit (close to bar but no bind). Also recheck after event to see if there is any dynamic binding (you will see marks), adjust as needed.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:22 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Thanks guys, I did a google image search and found most of those pics were set up with the large spacer where you guys are saying. Thanks for your help.

Also found one pic where someone puts some 1/2" hose on the spacer to reduce clanking. I'll probably try that too

Thank you
Old 01-09-2017, 09:10 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

What you want is the end link to be in the middle of it's angular travel when you're in the normal, loaded position, and over the length of travel, either up or down, and not have the end link bind.

The end link binding, or running out of angular travel will beat the end link to death or break them in very short order. One of the reasons some folks complain about their end links getting noisy is that they run them out of travel and the beat themselves to death in no time at all.

Also, you don't want the end link to hit either the bar or the suspension arm during that travel.

Finally, the end link will move differently on one end than the other, so it may not be as important to have travel on one part as opposed to the other.

What I found the easiest way to set it up was to put a jack under the control arm and look to make sure that I had some clearance (didn't run out or angular travel) at full extension and the lings went towards the middle of their travel as the suspension was compressed.

Get notified of new replies

To Sway bar end link spacer question

Quick Reply: Sway bar end link spacer question