Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Information on fluid coolers:

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 10:58 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
On my C5s I used the DRM Ron Davis Racing Radiator with external oil filter. This was put together before they started using the port above the filter to run the oil cooler lines from. Mine has an adapter that connected to the oil filter mount with the oil filter being relocated to the front of the engine compartment. This permitted the use of an old style 1 quart filter. Total oil capacity with the engine filled to the full mark on the dipstick was 8 quarts. With the 1 quart over that GM recommended it had 9 quarts in it.

Stock Thermostat. I has this installed in both my 97 and 03Z. Before I installed it in the Z I ran an HPDE in the middle of August at the Glen. Temps were in the low to mid 90s and the sessions were 40 minutes long. Oil temp hit 319 degrees. Changing over to the DRM setup and coming back within a week the oil temp dropped to 230 degrees after a 25 minute session and coolant temp ran right at 200 degrees. This was with a stock thermostat.

The big problem with that setup occurred in the cool months. Since I drove the car on the street I couldn't get the oil warm enough when driving in 40 degree ambient temps. The Ron Davis Radiator puts the EOC in the passenger side tank and the radiator is a very efficient radiator. The passenger side tank is very cool.

I also ran a GMPP T1 transmission/diff cooler which helped keep the drive train reliable. It consisted of a pump, hoses and Fluidyne 13 Plate Stacked Plate cooler that was mounted in front of the AC Condensor.

Bill
You dropped possibly 90F (40min vs 25min session) in oil temps with an oil cooler that's built into the radiator? That seems unbelievable, and results like you would get from a stand alone oil cooler.

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 01-13-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:31 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Thanks for all the continuing input, it has been very helpful. At this point, I am still inclined to start with a standalone Power Steering and Oil cooler then progress to a tranny and diff cooler as required. I had upgraded to an all aluminum radiator. It was for an automatic C5 so has the built-in transmission cooler, which is currently unused as my coupe is a manual 6 speed. I had thought about using it as an oil cooler, but was advised against it as there was a question as to how much pressure the built in trans cooler would hold. I am wondering if it could be used for the manual trans or diff when I get to that point?
The following users liked this post:
Quickshift_C5 (01-13-2017)

Quick Reply: Information on fluid coolers: