Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 vs C5Z vs C6 vs C6Z for a modified track day car

Old 01-16-2017, 04:50 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by zrtman1
This is a conversation a friend and I were having the other night.

If you were building a pretty much dedicated track car (caged/stripped interior) which chassis would be best to start with?

Taking the following out of the equation because it would all be upgraded/not stock:

Engine
Trans
Rear diff
Brakes (rotors, calipers)
Springs (coilovers)
Sways
Suspension bushings

I say C6 base (steel frame) with GS/Z wide body fenders. C6 I would think has more advanced comp mode and abs. I would think the aero would be better for the track when using front splitter. C6Z aluminum frame would be lighter but I would think more easily damaged?

I know some guys on here have moved from C5 to C6 (C7's not in conversation). Just wondering if had any input...
Great question. I've often thought of that myself.

If you take out all of those items you mention above I think essentially it comes down:

- Aero
- Cooling (based on the body and available space/positioning for coolers)
- Weight
- Weight distribution
- Vehicle dimensions
- Suspension geometry

With that being said the lightest one would be a good start. I don't have expertise on the rest of those items as far as how the effect performance or the differences(if any) between the models.

This would also be a great conversation to have with Tage to see what his thoughts are on it.

Last edited by dapopa9; 01-16-2017 at 04:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
zrtman1 (01-17-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 05:07 PM
chpmnsws6
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Just remember the factory race teams used the steel tubs
Old 01-16-2017, 07:19 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

I have a C5 coupe and not planning on changing anytime soon. My skill level is not even close to using all of the car. Forged LS3, Lg coilovers, C6 Z51 sways, Wilwood aero front cailpers, C6Z front rotors and C6 Z51 rears, poly bushings, big oil cooler, ZR1 6060 trans, C6Z diff.

I started with a high mile base that was daily driven. Had a bad knock in the LS1 so I bought it cheap and sold my C4. I have done 100% of the work myself except the alignment and tune. So I do not have a ton of money in it. But I have a lot of fun driving it and my skill level is not anywhere close to pushing it even with the crap invos I am using right now.

Fastfatboy - you said you used to run NT05's? What was your target pressure (hot) with them? That is my next set of tires.

The thread is just a question. Or more of a conversation really. Like off season shooting the bull over a beer.
I wouldn't bother with NT05s. They are not all that great of a tire when it comes to going around a corner.

Bill
zrtman1 (01-26-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 08:00 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I cut my track teeth on a C5 fifteen years ago. It was a Z51 car but I upgraded the swaybars and could pretty much run w/ the stock Z06's. I moved to a C6 in '07, also a Z51 car. Changed the swaybars on it, and put on some longtubes and x-pipe, Borla attack etc. The C6 made all the right noises but didn't charm me like the C5.
So I bought a '99 FRC last summer and I'm preparing it for dedicated track use. After half a dozen track days it showed it can really hold it's own.
Driving the C5 with the 345HP base motor teaches you to drive it like a momentum car, and that is quite entertaining.
zrtman1 (01-16-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 01:05 AM
Metalgearsolid_x
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by theseal
Having tried a c6z and c5z I would say avoid a c6z like the absolute plague. Do a c5 right with coolers, dry sump, brakes, hubs, etc., and good ducting and heat control and it's ok. But still a bitch to maintain and work on.

I am building a different car, having given up on the newer cars as they are just too difficult to maintain and repair for a track car.
Just curious, what are you building?

Originally Posted by 2Fass240us
How funny...I just bought a C5 base recently. Already have LG G1 bars, DRM Bilsteins, and C5Z springs. Wheels and tires are next. I'm going to run Wilwoods in the front though.

So in other words, another vote for C5 base. It's a track car, so chassis cost is a big part of the equation. Hitting something is more of a "when" than an "if."
Interesting. Do you guys run into any cooling issue? oil or trans cooler needed to track base c5/FRC? I have a FRC. I'm debating if I should turn it into track car. Just not sure what cooler do you guys use
sciff5 (12-31-2023)
Old 01-17-2017, 07:33 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by C5inWV
I cut my track teeth on a C5 fifteen years ago. It was a Z51 car but I upgraded the swaybars and could pretty much run w/ the stock Z06's. I moved to a C6 in '07, also a Z51 car. Changed the swaybars on it, and put on some longtubes and x-pipe, Borla attack etc. The C6 made all the right noises but didn't charm me like the C5.
So I bought a '99 FRC last summer and I'm preparing it for dedicated track use. After half a dozen track days it showed it can really hold it's own.
Driving the C5 with the 345HP base motor teaches you to drive it like a momentum car, and that is quite entertaining.
After thinking about it more, the decision betw C5 and C6 would be more difficult if the cost of the cars are the same. Most C6's cost about $5,000 or more than a comparable condition C5, and that money can be the budget for refreshing, modification, and safety equipment.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:59 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Originally Posted by Metalgearsolid_x
Just curious, what are you building?

Interesting. Do you guys run into any cooling issue? oil or trans cooler needed to track base c5/FRC? I have a FRC. I'm debating if I should turn it into track car. Just not sure what cooler do you guys use
C5 needs engine oil cooler, transmission oil cooler and differential oil cooler. I had the GMPP T1 trans/diff cooler on both my 97 and 03Z and I had a Ron Davis Racing Radiator with built in EOC which kept the engine cool. With a remotely located 1 quart oil filter it held 9 quarts of oil. Some people ran Accusumps as well.

C6Z51, C6Z along with C6GS came standard with a better engineered trans/diff system than the C5 GMPP T1 kit which seems like it was offered as an after thought shortly after the C5 was introduced. GM's 2009 and newer dry sump design was a good track setup. It held about a quart and half more oil than the pre 09 system which worked fine in most cases.

When I went from my C5Z with the add on radiator and trans/diff coolers I didn't have to add those things on the 08 C6Z. The stock cooling system worked really well and I never came close to overheating the car in 6 years of track use.

Bill
Metalgearsolid_x (02-07-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 09:05 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

If you are going to mod all the important stuff anyway, C5 base is the way to go. Leaves more budget for mods. Agree with others above that already modded C5 is the best bang for the buck. I bought a caged ST2 1999 FRC last March. I had previously modded (on my dime) a C5Z. Speed / dollar definitely goes to the base C5.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:19 PM
chpmnsws6
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

For a track car, I'd be looking at a C5z, C6 Z51, or a manual GS.

The Z's have a shorter range gearbox. The c6z51 has a factory cooler for the engine and trans. Wilwoods for both are roughly 1600 using stock style rotors.

The GS adds a dry sump setup and a diff cooler to the mix, along with better brakes.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:48 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by chpmnsws6
For a track car, I'd be looking at a C5z, C6 Z51, or a manual GS.

The Z's have a shorter range gearbox. The c6z51 has a factory cooler for the engine and trans. Wilwoods for both are roughly 1600 using stock style rotors.

The GS adds a dry sump setup and a diff cooler to the mix, along with better brakes.
If you get into tracking to the point of requiring mods, the "upgraded" parts from these models will not work. Brakes, coolers, dry sumps, etc. that are designed for the track assume the car is either 100% throttle or 100% brake ALL the time. Factory cars are made to be at operational temp even if they have been rolling down the highway at constant speed for 20 minutes. What works for one does not work for the other.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:12 AM
carefulnow
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Due to the aluminum frame I assume?
Yes. Very many considerations and compromises involved and several ways to go awry. Be especially wary of shops who are trying to weld attachment pads/boxes to the Al frame.

The frame is factory hydro-formed, which is cold worked. Welding anything to it anneals it locally, softening it substantially at that point, exactly what you do not want to achieve.

(I say this as a warning because there is a vendor on this forum who is selling such an approach which I'm sure you can find if you look.)

So, you are left with fabricating big surface area plating around the frame, bolting through, and sleeving inside or around to prevent collapse. You then will also need to address galvanic corrosion (minimally wherever moisture/water can occur, which is realistically everywhere) which means zinc coating at least, probably in addition to adhesive.

So all of this mucking about = about double the time/labor.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:44 AM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

What's better, Pepsi, Coke, Dr Pepper?

That's a BIG spread of cars from a base C5 to a C6Z. 1997 to 2013. All the submodels. Yikes.

I think it comes down to money, pure and simple. What can you afford to buy. What can you afford to leave wadded up in a ball (god forbid). What do you have to upgrade. Etc.

If you start with a C5,hard not to say Z06 given the extra power and better gearing vs. a "normal" one. Again unless cost is a big factor then the base cars do get you in the door for less. All the C5 and base C6 brakes suck. I mean they work, you won't die, but you tear up pads pretty badly. And they need coolers added.

A C6 Z51 is a little better. Same better gearing and an LS2 or LS3 depending on the year. Crappy brakes still but at least a little bigger rotor. Grand Sport is maybe the sweet spot. LS3 is reliable. The bigger brakes (which are not nearly as badly in need of upgrading as the 'normal' brakes. The larger oil tank and the shorter gearing too.

I have a C6Z, so does my girlfriend. We've more than once slapped better pads on and run on tracks with out autocross setup. Nothing more done (we do run good fluid anyway). I've run Laguna, Thunderhill out west, PittRace and Summit and others here in the east. No issues with the smaller oil tanks, oil temps weren't outrageous. We both fixed out heads, which again is a non issue in the LS3... but the LS7 is just more likeable for me. So it a roof that doesn't drive me nuts.

You are going to mod them all some I'm sure. How far do you want to go? That might tell you where you want to start.
814-849-3450

More options than any other single company out there. More parts than any other single company I know: Brakes to Safety, Wheels to Exhaust. Suspension to Air Filters: Girodisc, Hawk, Raybestos, Essex Racing/AP, Ferodo, Wilwood, Penske, Koni, Borg Motorsport, Ridetech, Viking, After Dark Speed, Hotchkis, Bilstein, KW, Forgestar, BC Forged, Forgeline, MRR Wheels and on, and on, and on it goes.

zrtman1 (01-26-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 vs C5Z vs C6 vs C6Z for a modified track day car