Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Traction Control and ABS

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 11:56 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Service Traction Control and ABS

I track and street with everything off. Sometimes I get the service TC & ABS on the dash... most of the time either not while tracking or I shut the car off for a bit and goes away. But yesterday it came up just before a slightly damp session... I proceeded and seemed to be no issue, but I wasn't pushing hard.

My question: when this warning is on do I have ABS? How about dynamic rear proportioning (2001)? Seemed I did have DRP... rear felt fine... but not sure about ABS since didn't have reason for it.

So far I'm thinking no biggy when it pops up... but this is first track session with warning and wasn't pushing hard.

Last edited by Joshboody; 01-15-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:50 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

it could be the connectors to the wheel speed sensors in the hubs - they tend to corrode and cause these issues...
left new - right worn -
note: you can bend the worn connectors inward to work if youre in a bind
The following 2 users liked this post by el es tu:
Gardinerm (10-12-2022), Joshboody (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 02:41 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

When you have those messages those systems are turned off by the EBCM. You do not have ABS. Since you have a 2001 you have a system with ABS/TC/AH. If you have a problem with a system component that affects all 3 you will see Service Messages for all 3. If a wheel speed sensor is bad or a wheel speed sensor connection is bad you would see 3 separate service messages. DRP will not work optimally if a wheel speed sensor isn't acting correctly.

You have a C5 so you can run the codes just using the the DIC control buttons and look for ABS C Codes. I doubt you have the dreaded C1214 fatal error since you aren't getting a service AH message. Like a wheel speed sensor error C1214 shuts down everything.

I did a quick check of the FSM and there are no specific codes that turn on the Service ABS and Traction Control messages without turning on the Service Active Handling message. Are you absolutely definite those are the only messages you have seen or that the service ABS isn't truly a Service AH message?

When a message is displayed run the codes without turning off the engine. Engine restart resets the EBCM so codes can disappear.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Joshboody (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 10:18 AM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Just checked and get C1214H... so guess it was error for all 3. I'm just use to clearing it so didn't pay full attention.

So far I think no biggy... only thing I'm really worried about is DRP and didn't notice anything negative during that session with the warning present.

My understanding for C1214 is need pull the EBCM and send out for repair. Wheel speed sensor would be a separate code (mine are all within 2yrs old so likely good).

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-16-2017, 06:07 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

I had C1214 and fixed it myself for free 100%....take a peek:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-fleabay.html
Old 01-16-2017, 07:15 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Joshboody
Just checked and get C1214H... so guess it was error for all 3. I'm just use to clearing it so didn't pay full attention.

So far I think no biggy... only thing I'm really worried about is DRP and didn't notice anything negative during that session with the warning present.

My understanding for C1214 is need pull the EBCM and send out for repair. Wheel speed sensor would be a separate code (mine are all within 2yrs old so likely good).

Thanks for the help!
You need to do some diagnostics to make sure the EBCM is the only thing that needs replacing. A fair number of C1214 failures are caused by a short in the BPMV which takes out the relay in the EBCM. Just sending the unit out for a heavier duty relay doesn't fix the overall problem since the short still exists. Even if the replacement relay is sufficient to handle the extra current load ABS/TC/AH will not work as designed. When performing like that you may not get a code until things get really bad. At best you are looking at repairing/replacing the EBCM and at worst you will be doing the EBCM along with replacing the BPMV (nobody fixes the BPMV).

With this failure you do not have DRP. It can't work if the system can't change the rear brake pressure as required. All the valves and solenoids that control rear brake pressure are located in the BPMV which is controlled and powered by the EBCM. The C1214 code indicates the BPMV isn't getting the proper operating voltage.

Bill
Old 01-16-2017, 07:57 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

My 2 cents.

I went thru this, had the EBCM fixed. All was good for about a year then waring no ABS/TC/STABILITY Control. I chased wheel censors, connectors, and it turned out to be the steering position censor. It would come & go with the reset, then light up the dash on a bump in the road, but then one day it stayed. Steering position censor was the fix for me.

Mark.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:54 AM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

When the code is thrown does this mean abs, drp is purposely disabled or dic is telling you somethimg is wrong but will attempt to operate as normal. Next time it happens I will test abs.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:31 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Joshboody
When the code is thrown does this mean abs, drp is purposely disabled or dic is telling you somethimg is wrong but will attempt to operate as normal. Next time it happens I will test abs.
The code tells you where the problem is located and it sets off the Service Message. Your C1214 means the Brake Pressure Modulator Valve is not getting a supply voltage from the EBCM. That means ABS, TC and AH are unable to work. The Service Manual indicates that DRP will not work optimally. I have no idea what that means but I know that when C1214 occurs the rear brakes will lock up under hard braking and heel/toe downshifting. Happened to me in my 03Z braking downhill into T1 at the Glen. As I was downshifting from fourth to third I blipped the throttle and the rear wheels locked up as I was letting the clutch out. I had to push the clutch in and lift off the brake to get them turning again and to keep from spinning the car at about 100 mph.

A number of C1214 failures are caused by a high resistance short inside the BPMV pump motor which causes it to draw too much current thus burning out the relay in the EBCM. You can repair the relay and the system will work for a while until the new heavy duty relay gives up the ghost or the motor stops turning altogether. That is why you need to check the BPMV for a resistance reading between the motor coils and case ground. If you read any resistance the BPMV has to be replaced as well as the EBCM repaired or replaced. If it doesn't read infinite it is bad.

Here is the factory service manual diagnostic procedure for the code:

Bill
Old 01-20-2017, 06:47 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I had the messages of "Service Active Handling", "Service Traction Control", and "Service ABS". After some searching on the forum it seemed that the majority of this issue on an 01-04 is a short in the EBCM. I remember pulling the controller and sending it to the ABS fixer in Missouri. The interaction with that fella was easy and a very fast turnaround. The part I didn't like was the uncertainty as to whether I was paying to fix the problem before sending it. In reading, these same code(s) on a 97-00 could be a steering wheel position sensor or EBCM. Bad news on those is the EBCM may not be repairable and the junkyard/aftermarket community knows it charging a pretty penny for replacements.

The ABSfixer fixed the problem and it was fine for last years track days. Didn't love guessing whether I was fixing the problem.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:41 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto One
My 2 cents.

I went thru this, had the EBCM fixed. All was good for about a year then waring no ABS/TC/STABILITY Control. I chased wheel censors, connectors, and it turned out to be the steering position censor. It would come & go with the reset, then light up the dash on a bump in the road, but then one day it stayed. Steering position censor was the fix for me.

Mark.
SWPS was my issue as well. had come undone from its mount and was simpy free wheeling around the steering shaft. computer didnt know what was going on so i got Service AH, TC.
its its my understanding that ABS is still active and working.
however i dont get Service ABS.

ill be curious when i go to a square setup and no longer have the stager, im sure i will get some messages, will ABS still work then on track?
Old 01-21-2017, 08:53 PM
Blue04z06
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I changed my brake lines to SS and now I have the ABS light, the Traction Light, and I get a meggage that says I need to have the stability control checked. Any suggestions?
Old 01-21-2017, 10:13 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

i have heard one of the parameters to setting off the Service message is brake (line) pressure. my guess its got something to do with that. either the cap off when car was started, or an air bubble near the sensor etc.

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 01-21-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:49 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Blue04z06
I changed my brake lines to SS and now I have the ABS light, the Traction Light, and I get a meggage that says I need to have the stability control checked. Any suggestions?
Think I read somewhere that certain SS lines can effect the electrical signal from the wheel sensors... static or something. Maybe can shield them or a diff brand. I could be wrong though.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:56 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the help guys. So far only get the H code and rare, so may not worry for a bit.

So in testing the motor resistance... I've searched but can't confirm which leads to test. Kinda remember pin 8 to ground maybe. I'm a donk with electrical stuff. I really need to get a service manual.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:19 AM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

Good luck, I had the C1214 every once in a blue moon until one day randomly it came up and would not clear until I fixed 4 solder points on the EBCM board. Of course that happened the morning of my first HPDE ever, so I was pretty excited about that.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:28 PM
William Atkins
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2007 C6 Z06 that is 100% track use. In my last 2 track sessions the rear wheels locked with hard braking causing a spin both times. I have had the "service active handling" message intermittently and "service charging system" message intermittently. The car ran flawlessly during the first 2 sessions but malfunctioned in the 3rd session. This only seems to happen when all TC devices are turned off and not with Competition mode. I have a friend with a scanner but have turned off the car both times and lost the information. I have checked the wheel speed sensors and all seems well. Any ideas? This is greatly draining my confidence in what was a wonderful track car. Let me know your thoughts.
Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Service Traction Control and ABS

Old 10-12-2022, 12:14 PM
Cslaubaugh
7th Gear

Default ABS and Traction Control with Code C0046SA

I was driving to work yesterday and all of a sudden my ABS and Traction Control lights came on, and the messages "Service your ABS" and "Service your Traction Control" soon came across my DIC.. I looked all over online to try and see what that code meant, but I have come up with nothing. I checked my brake fluid level which was a little low, and topped it off... reset my codes, and when I came to work today, the light never came on. I just want to see if anyone else out there had this same code and what it actually means.
Old 10-12-2022, 12:25 PM
Cslaubaugh
7th Gear

By the way, I have a 2011 Grand Sport LS3 6.2LTR. Just checking to see if anyone else out there has any idea what the code C0046SA means.

Old 10-12-2022, 04:24 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I think it's the left rear wheel speed sensor. Could just be a random fluctuation, but if it comes back you may have a bad wheel bearing, possible a damaged/corroded junction somewhere, or even a bad ground.

Quick Reply: Service Traction Control and ABS