Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wing attachment, so me your innovation

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 06:11 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Wing attachment, show me your innovation

I want to buy a wing and there seems to be two or three good choices and several mounting techniques. I see the APR with the wide placement of the stanchions. I've seen the universal model and the stanchions mount to the hatch. Then there is the style that mounts to the rear section behind the hatch opening. I'm ok with any of them as long as the placement is I choose is substantial enough to stand the pressure of speed. Thanks
Roger

PS: looking for a wing and a vented hood. 2009 Z06

Last edited by rabrooks; 01-30-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:15 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by rabrooks
I want to buy a wing and there seems to be two or three good choices and several mounting techniques. I see the APR with the wide placement of the stanchions. I've seen the universal model and the stanchions mount to the hatch. Then there is the style that mounts to the rear section behind the hatch opening. I'm ok with any of them as long as the placement is I choose is substantial enough to stand the pressure of speed. Thanks
Roger

As far as wing elements are concerned, right now is a great time to buy them from the UK with the exchange rate. They have a number of highly experienced shops that can help you with selecting an element to fit your needs along with advise on the other required mods to accompany the wing. (splitter, vented hood, etc...)

I have 2 elements on order currently through DJ Engineering for much less $$$ than I could buy it in the US. http://www.djracecars.com/

Also, make sure that you are getting real data on the profiles. Many places, such as the popular wing that you mentioned, don't give quantifiable data on their wings. How do you really know what your buying? Look for something like this:

http://www.sm-designs.co.uk/pdfs/rea...eb-apr16-2.pdf

As for mounts, go through the rear fascia and mount to the frame/bumper.

Something like this:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ng-a-wing.html

Although I wouldn't use that wing...

Goodaero has some mounts, but I'm sure if they are anything like their elements they are pricey...

http://goodaero.com/JSG/GOODAero.nsf/Products?Open

Or you could just fab up your own.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:32 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Thanks for the info. I do like the frame mounted setup for more than the obvious reason. If I cut the rear fascia for the uprights. I can replace the fascia easily to put the car back to no wing without patchwork
Old 01-30-2017, 09:13 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Thanks for the info. I do like the frame mounted setup for more than the obvious reason. If I cut the rear fascia for the uprights. I can replace the fascia easily to put the car back to no wing without patchwork
Paint match is the hardest part of that. The fascia is easily removed and replaced. Just get a used one and have it sprayed to match. Even if it doesn't quite match its OK because racecar.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:29 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

I am interested in this as well. Currently considering the Kognition setup. I found another good company (G-Stream), but they don't make the substructure mounts for our cars, only the struts. So would need to fabricate those.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:04 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

If you want a functional wing, mounting to the frame is the only way to go.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:18 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
I am interested in this as well. Currently considering the Kognition setup. I found another good company (G-Stream), but they don't make the substructure mounts for our cars, only the struts. So would need to fabricate those.
Had the Kognition wing on the last 2 years and was very happy with the quality especially for the price. The mounts it comes with are plug and play. Best solution for the money.

However if you smack it into a wall at WGI it may not survive. Mine is beyond repair so going with an AJ Hartman wing for round 2 and making my own swan neck mounts.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:09 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
Had the Kognition wing on the last 2 years and was very happy with the quality especially for the price. The mounts it comes with are plug and play. Best solution for the money.

However if you smack it into a wall at WGI it may not survive. Mine is beyond repair so going with an AJ Hartman wing for round 2 and making my own swan neck mounts.
​​​​​​
Thanks. I just looked at AJ Hartman. They appear very well constructed. The end plates are very tight with no gaps. I also saw some pictures of them standing on the edge of the wing while it was mounted on the car. Very sturdy. I am going to contact them. Still haven't heard back from Kognition... but I do like his prices. The G-Stream wing looks very nice too and I spoke to the owner. It is "only" 68" though, which I'm guessing doesn't make a big difference. Plus I would need The Little Speed Shop to fabricate the swan mounts/substructure.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:17 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

​​​​​​
Thanks. I just looked at AJ Hartman. They appear very well constructed. The end plates are very tight with no gaps. I also saw some pictures of them standing on the edge of the wing while it was mounted on the car. Very sturdy. I am going to contact them. Still haven't heard back from Kognition... but I do like his prices. The G-Stream wing looks very nice too and I spoke to the owner. It is "only" 68" though, which I'm guessing doesn't make a big difference. Plus I would need The Little Speed Shop to fabricate the swan mounts/substructure.
Gonna PM you concerning above.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:27 PM
fmcokc
Pro

​​​​​​
The GStream wings I believe were designed with the Mustang in mind. They are a nicely constructed wing.

The extra inches on the outboard ends of the wing do make a significant difference. It's the most effective portion of the wing since it sees the cleanest air. Go as wide as you can within reason of course.

Also, the end plates can make a big difference. Here, read up...

http://www.sm-designs.co.uk/pdfs/rearendplates.pdf

http://www.sm-designs.co.uk/pdfs/rearendplates2.pdf
The following users liked this post:
Mordeth (02-01-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 05:10 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

This is on a C4, but with familiarity of the underside of a C5 a similar attachment method could be devised. The uprights on this car are bolted to ¼” tow hooks which are bolted to the fuel cell cage. The fuel cell cage is bolted to the factory frame using factory mounting points. The uprights were originally made for an ’86 and have been transferred to this ’90.

A primary objective was to avoid cutting the body. Vertical adjustability can be added, but has not been required at this point. The desired height was designed into the original fabrication.

The offsets in the uprights were calculated to align the tow hook mounting points with the wing mounting points. The bends were done by a local welding shop with a press.

The uprights are reinforced to prevent lateral vibration/movement. I was very surprised at the amount of wing vibration shown on in-car video from the Rolex 24 last weekend.

Both uprights are reinforced with a vertical “L” shaped aluminum angle. The horizontal bar connects those reinforcements & the uprights. Two additional flat bars run from the horizontal bar to the fuel cell at angles to increase the rigidity. If you try to shake this wing, you shake the entire car.

Last edited by eogel; 02-03-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:24 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Roger

APR Wing. Works great. Uprights haven't moved.

The fabricator has the templates and would be happy to make you a set if you want them.

Last edited by Racingswh; 02-05-2017 at 04:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Hirohawa (01-19-2019)
Old 02-05-2017, 04:57 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Thanks for pics. This is my preferred method to mount the wing. If I were to buy a new wing from APR, I think I would request one with the mounts inward just abit to provide a little more support over that long span. They make them with different positions for different brands of cars. The c6 vette is way outboard so the uprights can go on the fender rather than the hatch.

But since im looking for a used unit, I'll take what I can get. Which means it'll prolly be way outboard. Thanks again for your post.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:01 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Thanks for pics. This is my preferred method to mount the wing. If I were to buy a new wing from APR, I think I would request one with the mounts inward just abit to provide a little more support over that long span. They make them with different positions for different brands of cars. The c6 vette is way outboard so the uprights can go on the fender rather than the hatch.

But since im looking for a used unit, I'll take what I can get. Which means it'll prolly be way outboard. Thanks again for your post.
You're welcome. Thought it may help give an idea or two as to what's possible even with the APR wing. One of my friends had the wing and wasn't using it and gave it to me which was incredibly kind.

Like you I would have wanted the mounted position to be further inboard like the LG wing but since the price was right on the wing we made it work.

Last edited by Racingswh; 02-05-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:11 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Originally Posted by Racingswh
You're welcome. Thought it may help give an idea or two as to what's possible even with the APR wing. One of my friends had the wing and wasn't using it and gave it to me which was incredibly kind.

Like you I would have wanted the mounted position to be further inboard like the LG wing but since the price was right on the wing we made it work.
Haha no doubt
Old 02-20-2017, 12:17 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

I'm back to start the wing strut process. What's the easiest way to remove the rear bumper cover. Anyone have pics of the fasteners used.
Thanks Again.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:54 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Tried, tested and a wining set up,.

LG Motorsports, your first and last choice for anything for the track.

thanks
Lou gigliotti
LG Motorsports
972-429-1963

Wings, hoods, Splitters, Suspension, engine, chassis, Exhaust and more from LG Motorsports.

Get notified of new replies

To Wing attachment, so me your innovation

Quick Reply: Wing attachment, so me your innovation