Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for FRC scca class category insight...

Old 02-12-2017, 10:03 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,041 Likes on 1,300 Posts

I figured it wasn't legal, though didn't see it mentioned and wanted to make sure. I'm surprised the LS6 intake isn't allowed as it came from the factory on the later year model C5s. What about metal sway bar end links? Heck the stock 2000 LS1 cam is larger than all the other year models, imho the best of all OE parts of that class car should be allowed not just year specific though that doesn't seem to be the case. So 255/40r17 and 275/35r18 rivals on the stock mag where is the best option for rubber correct? Just to be clear, one can change the **** on the stock shifter?

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 02-12-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:04 PM
gback
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For street you can change one sway bar including the end links. The Strano Parts hollow front bar is the standard and yes you can use metal end links on the new front bar, but not on the rear bar. I run Bridgestone RE71R tires in those sizes. They are shorter than the stock sizes and help some with the effective gearing.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:04 AM
v10climber
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
I don't know that'll I'll need 3rd in any of the courses around here as 2nd is good for 82mph. I did mess up once when left foot braking and forgot to move my foot back over to the clutch pedal when upshifting to 2nd:-/ That does bring up a question, what class does trans or diff gearing move one to?
I don't think 2nd in the base 6-speed goes to 82. My car does about 72mph gps-verified at redline in 2nd with a 285/30/18 (STU legal) tire.

If you're using an OEM c5 corvette rear end ratio that would be legal in SSP. If you're using a custom ratio it'd bump you up to SSM. Swapping a c5z trans into your base c5 is also SSP legal. But custom ratios in the trans moves you to SSM again.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:00 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by v10climber
I don't think 2nd in the base 6-speed goes to 82. My car does about 72mph gps-verified at redline in 2nd with a 285/30/18 (STU legal) tire.

If you're using an OEM c5 corvette rear end ratio that would be legal in SSP. If you're using a custom ratio it'd bump you up to SSM. Swapping a c5z trans into your base c5 is also SSP legal. But custom ratios in the trans moves you to SSM again.
81mph is what I came up with stock size tires tuners calculator below, assume there could be some variance depending on brands of tires and how worn they are as your size shows 75mph at 6200rpm.

http://fitbodyshop.net/gear/index.php
Old 02-16-2017, 04:36 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Just go out and drive the car.

You're just running local and no one will check anything out until you start winning. Even then local participants may simply suggest that you think about what class you're in. Don't tel anyone anything about your car either.

Once you get to the Nationals tech is an absolute war zone. That's where you have to worry.

Just drive it.

Richard Newton
Old 03-12-2017, 11:07 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Well I took the advice and went out on the 10 yr old all seasons in stock sizes and took first in BS today. They were calling it a 4wd vette I think because I haven't lowered it as I didn't realize the rules allow that or maybe partly because I have a rally racing helmet and was sliding the car all over the place on the asphalt. Before I buy some tires, I want to clarify that if I stay in BS can I install a harness bar and belts?

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 03-12-2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:35 AM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
Well I took the advice and went out on the 10 yr old all seasons in stock sizes and took first in BS today. They were calling it a 4wd vette I think because I haven't lowered it as I didn't realize the rules allow that or maybe partly because I have a rally racing helmet and was sliding the car all over the place on the asphalt. Before I buy some tires, I want to clarify that if I stay in BS can I install a harness bar and belts?
Yes, those are legal. You get most of the benefit with just a lap belt though, IMO. Or, just plant your left foot hard into the dead pedal. That's what I do, and I don't notice much difference between using the lap belt in my car and not using the lap belt. You have to pin your hips back with your left foot to make that a viable option though. It takes some time to get used to how hard you have to push.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:16 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Aside from shocks and sway bars, and other things you might want to set the car up with, I also have lap belts, lap belt mounts, and harness bars. Though harness bars are kind of a pain with stock seats so I typically only recommend the lap belt and mount. You can do that setup for less than $200 with a clip in lap belt.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:28 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

I lock the factory lap belt and use a waders belt around my chest, but knees are bruised and speaker grill dented. I have sport seats that I can swap in from my '99 and really interested in using them with the 4-point harnesses in time trials as well. I was looking at the sharkbar, but which setup do you recommend Sam?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for FRC scca class category insight...