Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for FRC scca class category insight...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 12:04 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Default Looking for FRC scca class category insight...

Just picked up a virgin '00 FRC and want to get back into scca auto-x. It's been a few years since I've run as with all the mods I did to the '99 frc it was hard to be competitive in sm2. I was skimming through the 2017 rules and just looking for some clarification as things have changed, what mods can I do without a bump in class? I have a short throw shifter and run stock magnesium wheels with 200+ treadwear tires at stock ride height to start with. I would like to add a cai, ls6 intake, TI mufflers, z06 shocks/sway bars and aftermarket seats if these don't cause the class to change though not sure which modifications would.

Appreciate the help, Chris
Old 02-08-2017, 12:20 AM
Josh67
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look into the street touring rules.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:24 AM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Sounds like STU is just where you want to be.

Happy to help, started to build one, sold it to V10climber who's continued with it. Lane Borg has his car which he's used to develop his urethane bushings (I carry those) and we have worked together on setup.
The following users liked this post:
PRE-Z06 (02-09-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 08:21 AM
eric1855
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
Just picked up a virgin '00 FRC and want to get back into scca auto-x. It's been a few years since I've run as with all the mods I did to the '99 frc it was hard to be competitive in sm2. I was skimming through the 2017 rules and just looking for some clarification as things have changed, what mods can I do without a bump in class? I have a short throw shifter and run stock magnesium wheels with 200+ treadwear tires at stock ride height to start with. I would like to add a cai, ls6 intake, TI mufflers, z06 shocks/sway bars and aftermarket seats if these don't cause the class to change though not sure which modifications would.

completely stock the car would fall into B Street but the short throw shifter takes you out of that. In Street you can do shocks, drop in filter, catback exahust, one sway bar, and wheels that are stock width but can be +/- 1" in diameter.

The mods you listed and the ones you want to do would put you into the STU class. In STU you can run up to 11" wheels and up to 285mm tires (200+ treadwear required)
Old 02-08-2017, 08:39 AM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a short throw shifter and run stock magnesium wheels with 200+ treadwear tires at stock ride height to start with. I would like to add a cai, ls6 intake, TI mufflers, z06 shocks/sway bars and aftermarket seats if these don't cause the class to change though not sure which modifications would.

Everything you listed but the LS6 intake manifold is legal for STU. The intake bumps you to SSP (which means Hoosiers, light weight clutch/flywheel, etc. etc. etc.). STU is what I'm building my 99 FRC for, and it should be pretty fun.

To go to the limit for the class, you'll also want to change both springs (with probably different bars), offset delrin bushings, headers (have to keep cats), and as Eric mentioned, 11" wide wheels with 285mm 200tw tires.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:45 AM
01badvette
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Sounds like STU is just where you want to be.

Happy to help, started to build one, sold it to V10climber who's continued with it. Lane Borg has his car which he's used to develop his urethane bushings (I carry those) and we have worked together on setup.

If you want some of the best parts out there and straightforward advice I'd start with a call to Sam. Great place to start and build a solid competitive car.
Chuck D.
strano@stranoparts.com (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 11:28 AM
v10climber
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

As lots of people have mentioned you currently have a BS legal car if you remove the short shifter.

As far as the mods you want to do the z06 shocks, TI mufflers, and one sway bar change would be legal in street.

The CAI, both sway bars, and aftermarket seats are legal in STU. However, some restrictions apply to the CAI and aftermarket seats so read the rules before you go buying one.

The ls6 intake is only legal in street prepared and up.

IMO a STU vette is a fantastic fun car/track car/auto-x car. If you live somewhere the roads are decent you could certainly DD it as well. I've driven mine from FL to Lincoln for SCCA Solo Nationals twice now. 1500 miles each way. It's not the cushiest place to be but it's not that bad.
PRE-Z06 (02-09-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 12:31 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Right on. LS6 intake is straight to SSP or higher, and if you want to be on 200 TW and competitive... you don't want to be there. You can do an intake up to the throttle body in STU, but you can't cut the panel covering the radiator to do it.

Basically the car is very good in both BS and STU. But STU suits your mod path better, even if it's not exact.

And yes, I can help with either class. I know the rules, I know the cars. And I have a very good record with them.
814-849-3450

More options than any other single company out there. More parts than any other single company I know: Brakes to Safety, Wheels to Exhaust. Suspension to Air Filters: Girodisc, Hawk, Raybestos, Essex Racing/AP, Ferodo, Wilwood, Penske, Koni, Borg Motorsport, Ridetech, Viking, After Dark Speed, Hotchkis, Bilstein, KW, Forgestar, BC Forged, Forgeline, MRR Wheels and on, and on, and on it goes.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:03 AM
Josh67
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That would be a real fun car to build to the STU rules. When you get tired of STU or you can no longer resist the temptation to make 500hp just buy wider tires move to CAM-S. That's what I would have done if I had read the rules a little more before buying my Z06.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:35 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Thanks for all the info, I'll hold off on the cai, intake and seats then and run the street class...the stock shifter is garbage and car is too quiet for me.

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 02-09-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:02 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

The trick is to pick a class and then build to the edge of the rules for that class.

The worst thing you can do is make a modification that tips you into the next class.

Solo 2 is a competitive event. Make sure you read the rule book at least a dozen times. Your competitors are.

As long as you finish in the bottom half of your class no one cares. The day you win your class everyone will be all over your car

Richard Newton
The Best C4 Solo Car - Ever
PRE-Z06 (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 12:08 PM
v10climber
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for all the info, I'll hold off on the cai, intake and seats then and run the street class...the stock shifter is garbage and car is too quiet for me.
When you're ready call Sam for some shocks and his front bar. Slap some bridgestones on the stock wheels and have fun. And honestly... if you're just doing locals I wouldn't worry too much about running a short shifter in street class. It's not legal for the class but at a local it's likely that nobody is really going to care. Although, you'd probably be surprised at how much better the shifter gets just by switching out that horrific C5 shift ****.
PRE-Z06 (02-12-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 07:10 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Yeah, I'll hang onto the stock shifter if I really get competive as the 1-2 shift in a course really isn't a big deal if it comes down to it. I realized the rear sway bar on the '00 frc is actually the same size as the c5z, so going to only upgrade the front.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:35 PM
gback
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suggest you run it in BS for a while first. The stock shifter is not that bad for autocross as with the C5 you really usually only need to worry about the 1-2 shift once. Just change out the stock shift **** for a Hurst or similar. I just finished getting my 99 FRC set up for B street with Sam's help. I have only ran 1 event so far and still need to learn the car (I have only run half a season in a SN95 Mustang is FS previously) but I am very happy with how it feels. Can't wait for our 2017 autocross season to start this weekend. Get Sam to set you up with Koni SA shocks, shock bushings and his front sway bar, then set your ride height and get a good alignment and go have some fun with a car very competitive for its class.
PRE-Z06 (02-09-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 11:09 AM
Fast Cars & Horses
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by gback
I suggest you run it in BS for a while first. The stock shifter is not that bad for autocross as with the C5 you really usually only need to worry about the 1-2 shift once. Just change out the stock shift **** for a Hurst or similar. I just finished getting my 99 FRC set up for B street with Sam's help. I have only ran 1 event so far and still need to learn the car (I have only run half a season in a SN95 Mustang is FS previously) but I am very happy with how it feels. Can't wait for our 2017 autocross season to start this weekend. Get Sam to set you up with Koni SA shocks, shock bushings and his front sway bar, then set your ride height and get a good alignment and go have some fun with a car very competitive for its class.
I agree...call Sam. He helped me set up my 2001 black vette for B street last year and I ended up winning a very large competitive novice class for the year in the OK region and B street in NEOKLA for the year. That car was like night and day after doing what he told me, simply awesome!! Thanks Sam, and for the advice on the C6Z too!!

p.s. I used Rival S tires on F 14's

Last edited by Fast Cars & Horses; 02-10-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:46 PM
gback
Advanced

One more comment on the stock shift linkage... it is amazing how much better it feels just by changing out the tranny fluid with fresh GM manual transmission fluid.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:20 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Diff and trans are on my list of next fluids to change, my '99 frc is a 520rwhp NA 6.0 I built so this is a drastic difference for me and everything will be happening in slow motion comparatively.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for FRC scca class category insight...

Old 02-12-2017, 01:37 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I'm not a fan of short shifters. Especially in autocross. I like to drop my hand down and know what gear I'm in.

In autocross almost all of your shifts will be 2-3-2 and back up to 3. With the stock shifter I can just drop my hand down.

It's sort of like people who actually look at their tach during a run. What's up with that?

Not Me

Richard Newton
The C4 Legend

Last edited by rfn026; 02-12-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:31 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

I don't know that'll I'll need 3rd in any of the courses around here as 2nd is good for 82mph. I did mess up once when left foot braking and forgot to move my foot back over to the clutch pedal when upshifting to 2nd:-/ That does bring up a question, what class does trans or diff gearing move one to?
Old 02-12-2017, 06:17 PM
gback
Advanced

All your rules questions are answered right here...

https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules

For Street classes tranny and gear ratios must be stock as originally equipped for your particular model. For higher prep classes check the rules. When reading the rules unless it is specifically allowed it is not legal.

Last edited by gback; 02-12-2017 at 06:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking for FRC scca class category insight...