Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fantasy track day deaths again...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 11:55 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Default Fantasy track day deaths again...

Not your typical HPDE track weekend but does give pause for reflection on how serious a track event can get really quickly. Driving someone else's car is somewhat different than driving your own. There is a reason for the different run groups at most HPDE events. Building experience slowly is the best way to do it. Really hate it for the deceased and the families.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/local/2...egas-racetrack
Old 02-13-2017, 12:04 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

You just never know
Old 02-13-2017, 12:31 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I've been asked to instruct in those super car experience things many times. There is no money you could pay me to do that. I understand this isn't quite that but it's not drastically different. When the guy getting in the car is there for 3 laps, as cheaply possible, to show you the instructor how awesome and fast a driver he is, with zero training and minimal safety considerations, well unfortunately this is bound to happen. RIP to both.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:18 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
I've been asked to instruct in those super car experience things many times. There is no money you could pay me to do that. I understand this isn't quite that but it's not drastically different. When the guy getting in the car is there for 3 laps, as cheaply possible, to show you the instructor how awesome and fast a driver he is, with zero training and minimal safety considerations, well unfortunately this is bound to happen. RIP to both.
Looks like a little track, middle of nowhere. 3-4 older exotics ? Just asking.

Sad, be safe all.

added:

Opened april 2016 30 million dollar track (so the press release says)

http://www.reviewjournal.com/busines...ine-rush-video

Last edited by froggy47; 02-13-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:44 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
I instruct with Chin and Edge Addicts among others. Your results may differ, BUT it has been my experience that the more "exotic" a car is, the slower and more frightened the driver will be. I instructed a 427 "Cobra" at MSR Houston, and a Lamborghini Huracan at CoTA. The Cobra driver finally got the line down, but pulled over and pointed EVERY car by at each straight! The Lambo driver did 85mph down the long straight between 11 and 12, and after four sessions (not laps) asked me "WHICH WAY?" when I suggested that she "turn"...........
Old 02-13-2017, 04:35 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I instruct with Chin and Edge Addicts among others. Your results may differ, BUT it has been my experience that the more "exotic" a car is, the slower and more frightened the driver will be. I instructed a 427 "Cobra" at MSR Houston, and a Lamborghini Huracan at CoTA. The Cobra driver finally got the line down, but pulled over and pointed EVERY car by at each straight! The Lambo driver did 85mph down the long straight between 11 and 12, and after four sessions (not laps) asked me "WHICH WAY?" when I suggested that she "turn"...........
"Rental cars" are MUCH different than owned cars. In these "Exotic car experiences" drivers are straight up dangerous. They pay $99 to get a lifetime of dreams out in 3 laps or less.

Trying to get "your monies worth" out of a car that doesn't belong to you in itself makes it MUCH more dangerous as compared to HPDE. From " I want to see what this thing will do" all the way to "let me show you I can drive this bitch."
Old 02-13-2017, 04:48 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
"Rental cars" are MUCH different than owned cars. In these "Exotic car experiences" drivers are straight up dangerous. They pay $99 to get a lifetime of dreams out in 3 laps or less.

Trying to get "your monies worth" out of a car that doesn't belong to you in itself makes it MUCH more dangerous as compared to HPDE. From " I want to see what this thing will do" all the way to "let me show you I can drive this bitch."
Old 02-13-2017, 08:32 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Old 02-13-2017, 09:13 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Agree also

A quick check of Auto Rental News finds an article that says "the majority of customers who rent specialty cars are those who can’t afford to buy one". They are predominantly young men, and no doubt seeking thrills. That's a far different dynamic than a guy who probably does all his own work on his own car, and just wants to master driving it.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:54 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

RIP to all of those involved.....very sad.

I don't know anything more than I've seen on this thread, but it does seem strange that the car went that hard into the wall with that much speed. I have not seen clear photos of how much damage the car sustained or if fire was the main issue. The Lambos of late have been susceptible to catching fire, crashing them doesn't help.

I have some other theories but don't dare post them without more proof of vehicle damage and accident scene reconstruction or in car data recordings. I'm pretty sure they offer an in car recording of your "super car" experience....hopefully those recordings will help explain what happened and how to avoid it in the future.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:28 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackAire
RIP to all of those involved.....very sad.

I don't know anything more than I've seen on this thread, but it does seem strange that the car went that hard into the wall with that much speed. I have not seen clear photos of how much damage the car sustained or if fire was the main issue. The Lambos of late have been susceptible to catching fire, crashing them doesn't help.

I have some other theories but don't dare post them without more proof of vehicle damage and accident scene reconstruction or in car data recordings. I'm pretty sure they offer an in car recording of your "super car" experience....hopefully those recordings will help explain what happened and how to avoid it in the future.
Looked like a pretty complete fire though, not sure average or even pro equipment would survive.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:32 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by apex26
A quick check of Auto Rental News finds an article that says "the majority of customers who rent specialty cars are those who can’t afford to buy one". They are predominantly young men, and no doubt seeking thrills. That's a far different dynamic than a guy who probably does all his own work on his own car, and just wants to master driving it.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:52 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Scary sh*t. I'm comfortable instructing at the HPDE level (but suck at it!)... Aint no way in HELL I'd get into a car that seriously fast with a driver of unknown skill-to-testosterone level.
R.I.P.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:21 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Originally Posted by froggy47
Looked like a pretty complete fire though, not sure average or even pro equipment would survive.

I haven't seen any clear pictures of the cars wreckage and actual vehcile damage. The Porsche GT that Paul Walker died in didn't have catastrophic body damage but those guys burned to death....what a shitty way to go.

The Lambos do seem to be very well built for surviving bad wrecks. IMO, it would take an extremely hard hit to kill both occupants if they are strapped in (barring no fire). But, if the car hit the wall at over 125 mph, even if you survived the crash you'd probably be injured or knocked unconscious and wouldn't be able to get out to escape a fire.

When things go bad with fire, they can happen in just a few seconds:

I would be surprised if the facility does not have 24/7 surveillance cameras hitting every square foot of that track...I'm sure OSHA and the Nevada highway patrol are review those tapes now.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:56 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Sometime last summer or so Jack Baruth (Road and Track writer, racer, HPDE coach) wrote an editorial on the time he was a guest instructor for a 'Drive a Supercar' event at Pittsburgh International raceway. He made it pretty clear - lots of idiots, very dangerous, would never do it again.

Last edited by argonaut; 02-16-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:17 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Some would say it's fraud. IMO there needs to be some software enhancements to reduce the power and increase "child proofing" at can be dialed in to the car depending on participant's experience. A long with a reduced power panic button if instructor know driver is overhead.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:45 PM
WhoIsPat
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

The track diagram shows a hard right turn at the end of the longest straight.

https://speedvegas.com/en/las-vegas-racetrack/index

Reading about this elsewhere, someone mentioned that there is a concrete barrier at the end of that straight, which, if true, is a shockingly mindless design on a track that was built specifically for the purpose of putting amateur drivers (Just 18 with a valid license, "no prior experience needed!" - per their website) into some of the world's most powerful cars.

Get notified of new replies

To Fantasy track day deaths again...

Old 02-15-2017, 02:42 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Originally Posted by WhoIsPat
The track diagram shows a hard right turn at the end of the longest straight.

https://speedvegas.com/en/las-vegas-racetrack/index

Reading about this elsewhere, someone mentioned that there is a concrete barrier at the end of that straight, which, if true, is a shockingly mindless design on a track that was built specifically for the purpose of putting amateur drivers (Just 18 with a valid license, "no prior experience needed!" - per their website) into some of the world's most powerful cars.
To me, it would take a severe miscalculations or negligent judgment to really screw up here.

That doesn't mean a mechanical issue, tire blow out, etc didn't cause something out of the normal.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:45 PM
SocalC5Z
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Just seems like a recipe for disaster. Putting someone with unknown experience in a super car with no skin in the game...sad to hear of these fatalities.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:24 PM
WhoIsPat
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackAire
To me, it would take a severe miscalculations or negligent judgment to really screw up here.

That doesn't mean a mechanical issue, tire blow out, etc didn't cause something out of the normal.
Severe miscalculation or negligent judgement does not seem unlikely based on most other severe crashes, of course those do not have a professional instructor in the passenger seat, which makes some type of mechanical failure seem more plausible. From the pictures it looks like they hit the wall just after the end of the rubber bumpers that are in frame at the beginning of the video you linked. Seems like they could easily end up there by boiling the brake fluid, or any kind of brake failure, trying to keep it on the track while coming into the first corner way too hot.

Quick Reply: Fantasy track day deaths again...