Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA Autocross race video. 2/19/2017.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 03:54 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Default PCA Autocross race video. 2/19/2017.

Nothing like super fast slaloms. So much fun. Were down to one runway now. Hope you like slaloms/transitions, because that's all were going to get. It just so happens, that's my favorite element. 1st. overall.

Steve

Last edited by mountainbiker2; 02-20-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:27 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Nice job. Thanks for posting the vid!
The following users liked this post:
mountainbiker2 (02-21-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 04:06 AM
kdm123
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
Nothing like super fast slaloms. So much fun. Were down to one runway now. Hope you like slaloms/transitions, because that's all were going to get. It just so happens, that's my favorite element. 1st. overall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGRTciLFRg

Steve
Sorry to be negative, but why bother with autox? Why not just do some real track driving instead.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:19 AM
firebirdfan
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

Probably the same reason lots of people autocross:

-Low time commitment (no hotels, excessive travel, etc)
-Low price point
-Lower risk of incidents (cones rarely damage cars)
-Less wear and tear on the car

HDPEs/track days can get expensive REAL quick. Entry fees can be significant. You'll go through tires, brakes, and gas at much faster rates. You're generally required to travel much longer distances to get to tracks. The risk of wrecking your car or having someone else wreck theirs into yours is a very real concern. Then there's the cost of a hotel on top of everything else.

The trade off is significantly higher seat time. Autocrosses might only be 5-6 minutes of seat time during a day. Track days are easily 3 20-minute sessions or more.

It's all in what you like. Track days are cool and all, but I only need to travel about 20 minutes to autocross locally, and only about 2 hours to a "large" event. In either case, the risk of me having a broken or wrecked car is higher during the travel to and from the event vs. during it. The local autocross only costs $20-$25 for 10 runs and the large events are about $45-$60 for 5 or 6 runs. In either case, I'm back home no later than 7pm.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:05 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kdm123
Sorry to be negative, but why bother with autox? Why not just do some real track driving instead.
You have to experience it first hand, to comprehend what all the excitement is about.
Check out this video I made. Is this real racing? Autocross vs. Willow Springs. The fastest track in the west.

Originally Posted by firebirdfan
Probably the same reason lots of people autocross:

-Low time commitment (no hotels, excessive travel, etc)
-Low price point
-Lower risk of incidents (cones rarely damage cars)
-Less wear and tear on the car

HDPEs/track days can get expensive REAL quick. Entry fees can be significant. You'll go through tires, brakes, and gas at much faster rates. You're generally required to travel much longer distances to get to tracks. The risk of wrecking your car or having someone else wreck theirs into yours is a very real concern. Then there's the cost of a hotel on top of everything else.

The trade off is significantly higher seat time. Autocrosses might only be 5-6 minutes of seat time during a day. Track days are easily 3 20-minute sessions or more.

It's all in what you like. Track days are cool and all, but I only need to travel about 20 minutes to autocross locally, and only about 2 hours to a "large" event. In either case, the risk of me having a broken or wrecked car is higher during the travel to and from the event vs. during it. The local autocross only costs $20-$25 for 10 runs and the large events are about $45-$60 for 5 or 6 runs. In either case, I'm back home no later than 7pm.

Last edited by mountainbiker2; 02-22-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:20 PM
KCblues
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

The competition in AutoX is another fun factor.

Steve, what tires are you running this year?
Old 02-24-2017, 06:37 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 726 Likes on 479 Posts

Autocross is my filler for between hpde days. Different fun. I do hate standing in a parking lot working which is my main gripe though. I need to pay a high school kid to work for me so I can chill and grill out on a little hibachi. Much better day.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:40 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KCblues
The competition in AutoX is another fun factor.

Steve, what tires are you running this year?
BFG's. Rival S. 315 square.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:47 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I have done autocross and it is very difficult. I also have a lot of wheel-ro-wheel racing under my belt. Autocross can pack the action of a whole race into 60 seconds.

With that said, I have run with Steve on a road course and trust me he can wheel a car there, too.

Good job Steve. You make that look easy.
The following users liked this post:
Brandon619 (02-26-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 10:23 AM
BruZe06
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by spearfish25
Autocross is my filler for between hpde days. Different fun. I do hate standing in a parking lot working which is my main gripe though. I need to pay a high school kid to work for me so I can chill and grill out on a little hibachi. Much better day.
There's one autocross venue in Camarillo here in Socal where there are paid workers and that's where I've been going. The only issue there is the course is too short and not fast like the PCA events that I used to run with Steve in. If PCA start hiring course workers and charge a higher entrance fee to compensate for it (and offer those running and are willing to work the course a reduced fee), then I'll be all over it.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:20 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
You have to experience it first hand, to comprehend what all the excitement is about.
Check out this video I made. Is this real racing? Autocross vs. Willow Springs. The fastest track in the west.
https://vimeo.com/10223189

Did you ever publish that video comparison steve? Do you have a link to it? Id love to share it
do you only have the cell phone of the 2 side by side

Last edited by 383; 03-02-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:47 AM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 383
Did you ever publish that video comparison steve? Do you have a link to it? Id love to share it
do you only have the cell phone of the 2 side by side
I don't understand. Do you see the vimeo link? That's all I have.

Get notified of new replies

To PCA Autocross race video. 2/19/2017.

Quick Reply: PCA Autocross race video. 2/19/2017.