Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for attending an IMSA race at Lime Rock

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 08:54 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Default Advice for attending an IMSA race at Lime Rock

Hey all,
I'm really looking forward to taking my son (2 and a half) to an IMSA race this sumer. I'd love to go to the glen, but its the same weekend as my wife's birthday so thats out. Lime Rock is about the same distance from home ~3 hours.

There seem to be several ticket options, all seem pretty affordable. I've never been to an IMSA race so I don't know what tickets to get or what to expect. I've done a DE at LRP and the infield is all on a hill, so it seems like there would be a lot of good viewing spots.

Does a "guaranteed infield parking" ticket let us sit anywhere to watch the race on the grass? Can we get into pit lane prior to the race and walk the grid and pits? Or do we need to buy Cabana or VIP hospitality tickets?

Love watching this series on TV, looking forward to going to one. Planning to drive up in the morning, check out the race and then head home in the same day.

Any advice is appreciated!
Dan
Old 02-20-2017, 09:04 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan H.
Hey all,
I'm really looking forward to taking my son (2 and a half) to an IMSA race this sumer. I'd love to go to the glen, but its the same weekend as my wife's birthday so thats out. Lime Rock is about the same distance from home ~3 hours.

There seem to be several ticket options, all seem pretty affordable. I've never been to an IMSA race so I don't know what tickets to get or what to expect. I've done a DE at LRP and the infield is all on a hill, so it seems like there would be a lot of good viewing spots.

Does a "guaranteed infield parking" ticket let us sit anywhere to watch the race on the grass? Can we get into pit lane prior to the race and walk the grid and pits? Or do we need to buy Cabana or VIP hospitality tickets?

Love watching this series on TV, looking forward to going to one. Planning to drive up in the morning, check out the race and then head home in the same day.

Any advice is appreciated!
Dan
Plan to camp out at the track. There are NO motels or restaurants, so it is cool and mandatory. Also Really severe noise restrictions, no racing on Sundays, cops on the roads etc. However, the RACING is worth it. have lotsa fun
Old 02-21-2017, 01:19 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Outside of the hospitality options, all the tickets are GA, so you can bring a blanket and/or chairs and sit anywhere you want and walk around to different viewing options (make sure you have actual tickets, not just parking).

The IMSA garages, autograph session, and pre-race grid walk are open and free (not the hot pits, they are closed). The pre-race grid-walk does get pretty crowded though, so be prepared for that.

Haven't looked at Lime Rock tickets yet, but there likely will be a Corvette Corral as well offered up at some point, which last year did not offer great viewing of the track, but was a good home base where you could sit and have some shade. Also, if you have Corral tickets there is usually an autograph session as well, so you can get the Corvette Team drivers' autographs without the long lines in the open autograph session.

Both my kids love going to the races, and have been to many, starting at about age 4-5. For the kids, realize you will have the elements to deal with (usually hot, but also could be wet) and the cars are pretty loud. It's not too bad near the top of the hill, but I would be prepared with hearing protection for the little one. I use those big noise blocking headphones over ear plugs and such that they tend to not like as much.

I know you said you were just going for the day, but the day before the race when there is practice and qualifying, it is much more relaxed and less crowded. You can usually get close to the cars in the garage area and take lots of pictures, and the Corvette team is phenomenal with kids. Race day is crowded, and the teams are busy, so less opportunity. I think my kids sometimes enjoy the day before as much as actual race day because they are closer to the cars (and have gotten to sit in a few of them and do a few other cool things)

Let us know if you have any other questions.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:25 PM
gpuglisi
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I normally set up in the outfield viewing area, short walk from outfield parking and if your there early, plenty of room for a Pop Up to hide from the sun. The view from there is the front straight into Big Bend, the Left Hander, and the Right Hander. Lots of passing into Big Bend, so it's a pretty good viewing spot. The paddock and infield are a walk over the bridge. The outfield is easy in and easy out when you're ready to leave.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:49 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by gpuglisi
I normally set up in the outfield viewing area, short walk from outfield parking and if your there early, plenty of room for a Pop Up to hide from the sun. The view from there is the front straight into Big Bend, the Left Hander, and the Right Hander. Lots of passing into Big Bend, so it's a pretty good viewing spot. The paddock and infield are a walk over the bridge. The outfield is easy in and easy out when you're ready to leave.
Great advice! Can I bring a pop up canopy if I'm just there for the day?

I'm not looking to be close or at the fence
Old 02-21-2017, 09:34 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Make sure you have some sort of cover to get out of the sun. The other thing is 2.5 year old kids can't keep a focus on things for a long time so have something to keep him busy when he is bored with the cars going around, around, around and around. May be a good idea to invest in some ear protection for him as well. His ears are probably a lot more sensitive to noise than your music and engine blasted ears are.

It can be a great time as long as you plan ahead and take precautions to keep him from becoming bored and unhappy. The other thing that you are probably well aware of is 2.5 year olds are damned fast and in a crowd can get lost quite easily.

Bill
Old 02-22-2017, 03:08 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Does a "guaranteed infield parking" ticket let us sit anywhere to watch the race on the grass?
Yes, regardless of the ticket, you can watch from any viewing area in the park. Watching the race from the different vantage points makes for such a good experience although it may be too tough with a 2.5 yr old. I start @ the hill over the left hander and walk around the track spending 15 minutes or so @ the Uphill (personal favorite), the straight before West bend and the bridge @ the downhill and finish up on the hill over the end of the Posey straight.

Can we get into pit lane prior to the race and walk the grid and pits?
Yes but it is packed. Be patient.

Can I bring a pop up canopy if I'm just there for the day?
Yes again. You'll need to arrive early to get a decent spot and not obstruct anyone.

I'll second 1) the need for ear protection for your son. You may want some too if you spend any time close to the action. The volume level is borderline shocking. 2) the day before. With a little one, it will likely be better than race day for you both 3) the outfield parking area is the easiest way out when you're ready to leave.

Last edited by TKOGTO; 02-22-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:33 PM
gpuglisi
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan H.
Great advice! Can I bring a pop up canopy if I'm just there for the day?

I'm not looking to be close or at the fence
Yes, that's normally my routine. Get in early the day of the main race, set up the pop up, chairs, cooler, whatever you bring, and then go exploring. There is a building that serves food, and portable bathrooms in the outfield as well.

There is a line that you have to stay behind with pop ups, which is only fair. So there are limited spots that have good viewing. Also, if you record and watch the race at home, you will likely see your spot in the background at some point during the broadcast.

Last edited by gpuglisi; 02-22-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:18 PM
jasonberkeley
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Actually lots of good restaurants. Falls Village Inn, The Lock Up, Woodland, Mountanside Cafe, White Hart Inn tap room, Mizzas, The Boat House. All of the above with 5-7 minutes of the track.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:57 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm really excited to take my son there. I recognize the challenges and they are REAL!!!! This advice is good to reduce the amount of learning at the first event.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice for attending an IMSA race at Lime Rock

Quick Reply: Advice for attending an IMSA race at Lime Rock