Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bilstien sport vs aFe Jounny O signature series

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 12:13 AM
roughian69
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bilstien sport vs aFe Jounny O signature series

Looking for anyone who might have a comparison between the Bilstein B8 shock vs the aFe Johnny O'Connell signature series shocks without the sway bar upgrade for an F55 alternative. I have the '03 anniversary edition.

Last edited by roughian69; 02-22-2017 at 12:14 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:02 AM
deepcj7
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

interested
Old 02-22-2017, 01:31 AM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

I put the B8 sport shocks on my 2000 Z51 and hated them. Way too harsh for the factory spring rate. Later I saw a shock dyno, and the high speed rebound damping is over twice the force of stock. If you drive over a pebble, you feel it. They might be ok for a track car, but I thought they were terrible for a street car.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:08 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

In my opinion, a better comparison would be between the DRM valved Bilsteins and the Johnny O shocks. Two shocks that were valved and designed specifically for our Corvettes.

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 02-22-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:55 PM
roughian69
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
In my opinion, a better comparison would be between the DRM valved Bilsteins and the Johnny O shocks. Two shocks that were valved and designed specifically for our Corvettes.
Have driven on both? Is there one you prefer m
Old 03-01-2017, 01:57 PM
roughian69
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Corvette#2
I put the B8 sport shocks on my 2000 Z51 and hated them. Way too harsh for the factory spring rate. Later I saw a shock dyno, and the high speed rebound damping is over twice the force of stock. If you drive over a pebble, you feel it. They might be ok for a track car, but I thought they were terrible for a street car.
Well not looking for anything that aggressive. I really like the F55 but I'd rather not spend that much. Thanks for your input.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:38 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette#2
I like more rebound damping, primarily in the front, so when I do sell folks Bilstein's, I typically do Sport front HD rear. And I dunno what dyno you saw but I have dyno's for them vs. a lot of other shocks. They aren't crazy aggressive, but certainly more than a HD or stock shocks.
The following users liked this post:
Brandon619 (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 05:40 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
All shocks are valved for the Corvette. Bilstein doesn't just have some generic valving they use on other things and the Corvette too.

Now, I carry the Bilstein, and "Johnny O" shocks. And a lot of others.

I believe strongly that the shock that's right varies for each person, how they use the car, what they expect from the shocks, even what they run for tires. I have Koni's on my car, and I can tell you I change my shock settings a lot between two particular sets of tires.
The following users liked this post:
Brandon619 (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 05:52 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
All shocks are valved for the Corvette. Bilstein doesn't just have some generic valving they use on other things and the Corvette too.
Good to know, thanks for clearing it up.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:59 AM
roughian69
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Sam Strano

Now, I carry the Bilstein, and "Johnny O" shocks. And a lot of others.

I believe strongly that the shock that's right varies for each person, how they use the car, what they expect from the shocks, even what they run for tires. I have Koni's on my car, and I can tell you I change my shock settings a lot between two particular sets of tires.
I appreciate all of the info. I will say that I enjoy the ride and handling of my car in sport mode. Can you offer some insight on the handling and feel characteristics of the Bilstein's HD / B8 and the Johnny O's as a comparison to my F55 stock setup in sport mode?

Get notified of new replies

To Bilstien sport vs aFe Jounny O signature series

Quick Reply: Bilstien sport vs aFe Jounny O signature series