Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Z06 track reliability vs. your other track car

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 10:14 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamran
Mixing 20% 100 with 93 isn't supposed to improve performance. It's supposed to protect engine against possible knocking, especially for FI engines, if a concern.
Since this is an FI engine that's the main reason I mix 'race' unleaded with street fuel; to minimize the risks of detonation. That and the fact that 93 octane is difficult to find around here.

Bish
Old 03-23-2017, 08:45 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Adding some other bits to the list:

1. fuse burning taking out O2 and other sensors offline causing 12 engine codes. Determined that a wire harness was touching the exhaust and melted causing the fuse to burn. GM replaced harness.
2. check engine light occurring during low grip situations. GM updated the software with regards to vehicle speed sensor.
3. check engine light occuring on and off, and service stabilitrack light. Spark plug wire burned out taking out a cylinder offline.
4. service powersteering. Caused by overheating powersteering. GM released a cooling duct based on C6 rear duct to be used for cooling.
5. Frequent overheating coolant at 262* causing limp mode. GM released secondary cooling radiator as a fix.
6. Low power mode often limiting revs at 5000 rpm max. Caused by detonation, solved using 100 octane.
7. bottom end failure, pulverized rod #7, exited out of the block. GM provided new engine.
8. catalytic converter blew its welds. GM replaced it.
9. Clutch went to the floor. Changing fluid and hoping that's it.
10. Bent two stock wheels, four if I include the 60th anniversary wheels.

I decided to retire the C7 Z from tracking this week. Bought a race spec Ariel Atom to replace it.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:55 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Damn son. You did not have good luck with yours. Knock on wood, I haven't had a single issue you mentioned above.

The Atom should be fun though! Completely different experience.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:05 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fleming23
Damn son. You did not have good luck with yours. Knock on wood, I haven't had a single issue you mentioned above.

The Atom should be fun though! Completely different experience.
I now know what it means to track a GT car. I have since changed from the double ply tissue to published track times articles.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:59 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
I now know what it means to track a GT car. I have since changed from the double ply tissue to published track times articles.
funny -- nice
Old 03-29-2017, 03:57 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Great thread.

I tracked an 04 Z06 for a couple of years--absolutely bulletproof, but I did pull speed on some long straights (like the back straight at Road Atlanta) to save wear on the brakes. Car was relatively simple compared to the C7.

I have been on and off about buying a C7 or a low mileage C6Z for some time with the idea of tracking it, but tales like this and the valve train issues with the C6Z make me nervous. I am sure the C7Z a fine car, but any street car with the very high limits of the C7Z is bound to have some serious consumables and I have always been afraid of boosted cars for track duty.

A brand new spec Mazda Miata track car bought through Mazda costs about 53K versus a loaded street car price of about 33K, and this is without any real boost to HP. Building track reliability into a car costs money, as we all know.

I do wish Corvette would build (either on the line or through one of their suppliers like P&M) on an order basis a real track ratter with an N/A motor and a number of the safety, reliability and cooling upgrades a track car should have. It might cost 150K or more, but I think the idea of a real turn-key factory track Corvette you could buy through a Chevy dealer might be fun.....

Last edited by quick04Z06; 03-29-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:03 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
Since this is an FI engine that's the main reason I mix 'race' unleaded with street fuel; to minimize the risks of detonation. That and the fact that 93 octane is difficult to find around here.

Bish
Actually, when I used to track my C5Z in the summer the EMC used to pull timing when it got hot unless I used the 100 octane unleaded race gas.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 04:19 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
Great thread.

I tracked an 04 Z06 for a couple of years--absolutely bulletproof, but I did pull speed on some long straights (like the back straight at Road Atlanta) to save wear on the brakes. Car was relatively simple compared to the C7.

I have been on and off about buying a C7 or a low mileage C6Z for some time with the idea of tracking it, but tales like this and the valve train issues with the C6Z make me nervous. I am sure the C7Z a fine car, but any street car with the very high limits of the C7Z is bound to have some serious consumables and I have always been afraid of boosted cars for track duty.

A brand new spec Mazda Miata track car bought through Mazda costs about 53K versus a loaded street car price of about 33K, and this is without any real boost to HP. Building track reliability into a car costs money, as we all know.

I do wish Corvette would build (either on the line or through one of their suppliers like P&M) on an order basis a real track ratter with an N/A motor and a number of the safety, reliability and cooling upgrades a track car should have. It might cost 150K or more, but I think the idea of a real turn-key factory track Corvette you could buy through a Chevy dealer might be fun.....
I'm amazed at how expensive that spec Miata is. I bet Mazda is getting a nice profit from those.

Getting a reliable track car comes down to parts design and parts quality throughout the car. Since cars are complex, there are many corners that can be cut. I don't think there is an easy solution except to look at the design and then keep your fingers crossed that it was built well and with top notch quality parts. This is why brand value is so important in the automotive industry, it signals quality. You can either pick the brand or try it and find out the expensive way.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:47 PM
SocalC5Z
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
Great thread.

SNIP
I have been tracking a C5Z for 6 years and came out of a dedicated Porsche racecar. I too thought about moving to a newer platform with more power like the C6Z, but it seems like almost every track event I attend has a C6Z on the flat bed with a engine failure. I'm kinda surprised that C6Z's with original engines are still out there!

The C7Z to me is too new and costly to beat up on the track and I'm reluctant to retire a dead reliable C5Z that with the usual minor upgrades, (bbk, coolers, alignment, safety) has been very reliable and relatively low cost to maintain. Still...405 hp is not what it used to be...

Thanks to the OP for the data on a hot topic

Last edited by SocalC5Z; 03-29-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:10 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I just run straight 93 octane. I had a 60 gallon auxiliary tank in the bed of the truck so I'd fill up outside the track each evening. It still added up even at $3/gallon.

Unfortunately I'm now towing with an RV so I'm going to have to start paying at the track prices, but I'm still only running 93 octane. I tried 100 octane once and saw no difference in how the car performed.
What happened to the fancy C6Z you had? Cheers, Tim
Old 04-05-2017, 09:20 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Timz06
What happened to the fancy C6Z you had? Cheers, Tim
I bought the C7Z for a street car. Took it to the track while the C6Z was getting worked on and fell in love with the C7Z on track. So I sold the C6Z. Been tracking the C7Z ever since.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:56 PM
krisyk
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I bought the C7Z for a street car. Took it to the track while the C6Z was getting worked on and fell in love with the C7Z on track. So I sold the C6Z. Been tracking the C7Z ever since.

Can you elaborate on your experiences between the 2? I'm considering either a stock motor C7Z or having a fully built N/A motor in a C7GS for the track.....
Old 04-06-2017, 06:56 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 726 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by krisyk
Can you elaborate on your experiences between the 2? I'm considering either a stock motor C7Z or having a fully built N/A motor in a C7GS for the track.....
Sounds like you'll have less trouble with a stock C7Z unless you like the build and troubleshooting process.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:55 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Imo if you have to track a Corvette just go with a C6 Z06 Z07, take the head off and send it to Katech for reliability mods. Done.

The C6 Z06 Z07 had the right formula for track work.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:31 PM
Lasco001
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts
Default C7 z06

The C7 Z06 on the racetrack makes a lot of fun.
The C7 Z06 is very very fast

But:

So that you have a long time of pleasure and the vehicle is reliable, you need:
Water must not exceed 100 ° C.
The cooling in the compressor must be very low, never exceed 85 °
The cooling of the brake must be absolutely great
If possible, drive 100 octane gasoline
15/50 Oil or 10/60 Mobil 1 Oil should be used.

The A8 model needs a lot more effort, so it is stable.

If you meet these criteria:
You will have lots of fun and enjoy a Corvette life long

Here is my whole new

sunsalem (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 02:06 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Lasco001
The C7 Z06 on the racetrack makes a lot of fun.
The C7 Z06 is very very fast

But:

So that you have a long time of pleasure and the vehicle is reliable, you need:
Water must not exceed 100 ° C.
The cooling in the compressor must be very low, never exceed 85 °
The cooling of the brake must be absolutely great
If possible, drive 100 octane gasoline
15/50 Oil or 10/60 Mobil 1 Oil should be used.

The A8 model needs a lot more effort, so it is stable.

If you meet these criteria:
You will have lots of fun and enjoy a Corvette life long
Ok, but how is it compared to other cars you guys track? It's fairly straightforward to find praise for the car you have or sell parts for, I was hoping we get input for at least two cars at a time (different generations or model). By looking at the same driver we're effectively eliminating the human component (and bias by keeping it fixed across platforms).

I just tracked the Ariel Atom for the first time yesterday. The car seems to be bullet proof, at least based on my 8 sessions it's gone through and 3 off road excursions. It rained about half the day but it nearly dried by the end. Max engine coolant temp 170*, no noticeable drop in performance, the engine tune is fantastic with no hesitation at low rpm, brakes are consistent.

I spun out in places where the C7 Z06 got stuck before but I didn't need a tow truck to pull me out this time and didn't harm any body work.

Driving with no ABS does take a lot of getting used to. I forgot that when wheels lock the car trails straight regardless of steering input.

Straightline speeds at this track were about 10mph lower than the Corvette, but I think it can make up the deficit in turns. Haven't timed my laps since it was too cold/wet and couldn't get any heat in the front tires. The Atom is 40/60 balanced with 1350lbs curb weight.

LoganExplosion (04-18-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 04:43 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Sounds like you found the perfect Track Weapon.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06 track reliability vs. your other track car

Old 04-18-2017, 07:00 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 726 Likes on 479 Posts

Having been a passenger in an Atom and tracked my C7Z, I can say that hands down I'd take an Atom as a track car over the Vette. The open air experience is awesome and completely exhilarating. It's not very far off the Vette's lap times especially on circuits with shorter straights. The problem for me is the disposable income to drop on a track only car along with trailer and tow rig. The Vette gets me to the track, on the track, home from the track, and all around town when I want a more fun drive.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:44 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by spearfish25
Having been a passenger in an Atom and tracked my C7Z, I can say that hands down I'd take an Atom as a track car over the Vette. The open air experience is awesome and completely exhilarating. It's not very far off the Vette's lap times especially on circuits with shorter straights. The problem for me is the disposable income to drop on a track only car along with trailer and tow rig. The Vette gets me to the track, on the track, home from the track, and all around town when I want a more fun drive.
That was my strategy as well. One car, one parking space, it does it all. However, the consumables alone on the C7 Z are so high you can afford a trailer, a track car with similar power to weight, and a truck for the money you spend on consumables.

Consider this for 1 track day:
Gas Z06 40 gallons x $6 (half 100 oct half 91)=$240
Front rotors Z06 1/8 used x $2,500= $312
Rear rotors Z06 1/20 used x $2,500= $125
Front pads Z06 1/3 used x $350= $117
Rear pads Z06 1/9 used x $350= $39
Cup 2 tire wear 1/3 used x $2,500=$833

Let's forget about the cost of missing track time for breaking down, the fact that the Z06 destroys engine oil, brake fluid, and clutch fluid faster than any car I've seen. What I listed totals to $1,680 per track day. The Atom costs about $200 a day to run. So you have a disposable income of $1,480 a month to pay for a track car, its parking, a cheap truck, and its parking, and a trailer. Heck the Atom and the trailer together weigh just 2,000 lbs so just about anything can tow it.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:33 PM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 132 Posts

I agree the consumable cost is very high.

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 track reliability vs. your other track car