Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 10:46 AM
boltvette
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CTS-V
What do these helmets weigh?
Here is what Black Armor lists as their helmet weights:
Medium 1560g (3.40lbs)
Large 1680g (3.70lbs)
X-Large 1610g (3.55lbs)

They are carbon fiber composite. Much lighter than fiberglass, somewhat heavier than full carbon fiber and considerably less expensive.

I had 3.5 hours of track time during a Friday track day at Laguna Seca last May. I was exhausted at the end of the day, but I had no neck fatigue.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:37 PM
danh52
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by boltvette
Here is what Black Armor lists as their helmet weights:
Medium 1560g (3.40lbs)
Large 1680g (3.70lbs)
X-Large 1610g (3.55lbs)

They are carbon fiber composite. Much lighter than fiberglass, somewhat heavier than full carbon fiber and considerably less expensive.

I had 3.5 hours of track time during a Friday track day at Laguna Seca last May. I was exhausted at the end of the day, but I had no neck fatigue.
Another fit question if I may. Are you a "round" shaped head or "oval"? I have what is called a "long oval" shape so I have to avoid the round only like Bell. I tried a Bell many years back, it was very tight on my forehead. HJC is very comfortable but they haven't done a 2015 helmet yet.

That Black Armor helmet is very nice looking, would love it if it fit.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:36 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,730 Likes on 935 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by danh52
Another fit question if I may. Are you a "round" shaped head or "oval"? I have what is called a "long oval" shape so I have to avoid the round only like Bell. I tried a Bell many years back, it was very tight on my forehead. HJC is very comfortable but they haven't done a 2015 helmet yet.

I have more of a round head and when I went for fitting I found Bell and Black Armor to fit very similar. Simpson has more of a long oval shape to it, and I think Sparco as well.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:00 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Arai has helmets to fit every head shape and with pad changes you can't get a very good fit. The problem is cost. I use a cheap open face helmet I got from Amazon that is Snell looks like a Bell clone for autocross.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:58 AM
boltvette
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by danh52

I never really thought about it, but guess I have more of a round head. Whatever you choose, you should definitely try it on before you buy.

The small and medium sized helmet shells of the Black Armor are the same. The difference is in the padding thickness. The same is true for the large and the extra large sizes. That's why the large weighs more than the extra large - the padding is thicker on the large. The cheek pads are attached with velcro and can be interchanged, but not the top padding.

Craig
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 01:42 PM
danh52
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by boltvette
I never really thought about it, but guess I have more of a round head. Whatever you choose, you should definitely try it on before you buy.

The small and medium sized helmet shells of the Black Armor are the same. The difference is in the padding thickness. The same is true for the large and the extra large sizes. That's why the large weighs more than the extra large - the padding is thicker on the large. The cheek pads are attached with velcro and can be interchanged, but not the top padding.

Craig
Thanks Craig. I wish I could try before buying but there are no shops in my area that have helmets to try on. If I was buying a motorcycle helmet I could test fit but not motorsports related helmets.

I guess I should just bite the bullet and buy an Arai. Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a cheap bast@rd, even my wife said to just buy it and move on. LOL

Quick Reply: Helmets!